Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 19, 2019, 11:19:59 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 19, 2019, 11:09:07 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 19, 2019, 11:05:08 PM
Great to see another Dublin player get a car for the year

https://twitter.com/trollier10/status/1097922241801740293?s=20
Professionalism in all but name
Yes he's a hurler. But if he's getting that, what are the footballers getting?

Sure I've seen a few of the ladies team receive sponsored cars recently as well.

https://www.denismahony.ie/web/brand-ambassadors/

In fairness Aidan O'Shea was a brand ambassador for Audi Ballina and got a car for a couple of years and Joe Canning is a brand ambassador  for Audi Galway and has a free car for this year so it's  not just the Dubs.

toby47

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 20, 2019, 01:18:11 AM

Sure I've seen a few of the ladies team receive sponsored cars recently as well.

In fairness Aidan O'Shea was a brand ambassador for Audi Ballina and got a car for a couple of years and Joe Canning is a brand ambassador  for Audi Galway and has a free car for this year so it's  not just the Dubs.

David Clifford also got a car last week - had it up on his twitter page.

tonto1888

Quote from: toby47 on February 20, 2019, 07:43:38 AM

David Clifford also got a car last week - had it up on his twitter page.

Can't have. Sure only the dubs get free stuff

TheGreatest

Jaysus lads picking on lads for getting cars now, everyone is getting cars these days, even Rory Stories is a brand ambassador. Fair play to them if they can get it.

Again, another Dublin thread full of inaccuracies. Thread number 46 on Dublin.   ;)

The Hill is Blue

Very fair comment. Any comment from From the Bunker who's usually very quick off the mark?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Lar Naparka

I've no problem with any player getting the free use of cars from anybody and that includes all Dublin lads too, by the way. In general.all concerned are brand ambassadors for some business or other and they get the use of a new car for a year or some advertising work. If the player concerned helps make money/ generate a positive image for the company concerned, then there is a mutually satisfactory agreement in place and what's wrong with that?
On a slightly different tack, I can understand the Gooch using his exploits with Kerry to generate a few handy bob for himself and frig the begrudgers!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 19, 2019, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 19, 2019, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 18, 2019, 11:04:19 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 17, 2019, 02:02:11 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 16, 2019, 10:37:53 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 16, 2019, 03:05:20 AM
All this concern for Dublin players who drop out because of sheer numbers is very touching.  Not sure how I managed to miss it all back when we weren't  winning.
Never heard of The Blue Wave initiative or the fact that Dublin gets enough of the coaching development kitty that could pay the wages of a dictator in yer average banana republic?

Nothing to do with what he said though. Suddenly the fans of 31 counties want us broken up to give the nearlymen a shot at county football. Thats new.
Yer dead right. That's because he didn't bother to read what I had to say. Neither may I gently suggest have you. If he wants to know why culchies are upset about Dublin's recent dominance anf thinks its all down to pure jealousy, then he seems to knww nothing about the Blue Wave or what way development funds are disbursed.
I just gave facts and figures- nothing magical in that. Anyone with some basic maths would come up with the same results. I never said I felt sorry or glad for those who could play intercounty football if Dublin was split along county boundaries. That's up to Dublin GAA folks but it does mean you are getting along with a very small percentage of the general population and you need all the money you can lay your hands on in order to stay afloat, never mind increase your market share.
The Gah in Dublin is under severe pressure and needs all the cash that's going but that's because of the basket case way your club structure is organised.
Now, that is an opinion but it's based on facts and figures I have posted now and in the past and I will stand over what I am saying.
Unless there is radical change within the association and sooner rather than later, the whole shebang is gonna go tits up.

Hold on, make your mind up. Dublin GAA is a shambles in imminent danger of collapse or a superfinded juggernaut going to win everything for years. Pick one, it cant be both.

Or, you are rei forcing the point that all this is is the whining of culchie thicks who would rather hurl from the ditch than roll up tbe sleeves amd do what Dublin did.
Can't be both?  Oh, yes it can!
It takes increasing chunks of grant money to keep the show on the road. If we were talking about a business venture here, the receivers would have been called in long ago. A bit of basic maths tells its own story.
Okay then, since you insist. Here's the population figures for the Dublin region, based on the census returns of 2016 and 1996, (1,345,000 and 1,058,000 respectively.)
That, by any metric you like, marks a general increase of over 21%.
Has the number of Dublin GAA players increased by anything near that percentage? What about the number of clubs?
I can only think of one new club in that period, (Tyrellstown) and that is struggling for survival. Has general attendance figures gone up 21% in that twenty years?
Unless you can give a definite Yes to those questions, the reality is that Dublin GAA is losing its market share.
On the specifics, Tallaght has a population roughly the same as County Cavan, about 76,000. Tallaght has just one Gaelic club, St. Marks and that hurling. Cavan has a total of 33. There is no way Tallaght has the same percentage of the population involved in GAA affairs as the culchies of Cavan has and the same can be said for the entire Dublin region- all have tiny numbers of the population bothering their arses about Gaelic affairs, club or county.
I don't want to go on and on about facts and figures, they could wreck a head of cabbage. But they may be dry but don't tell lies

Firstly there are at least 4 clubs in Tallaght. One was in the news a lot about 10 years ago.

But the rest proves my point. Dublin is a very difficult place for the GAA to operate. We are way befind soccer numbers and reach wise, and much as I hate rugby country nonsense, they are growing into working class areas fanwise. So we target kids and then put a structure round those who show talent. And this is the conveyor belt. We will never have huge participation, so why bother. Quality over quantity.

My issue is the traditional areas, like my own, have been left behind to target rugby areas and a better class of parent, but i see the logic.

How much of that 21% are Dubs? And yes, overall crowds are way higher than 20 years ago.

Are we losing market share? Last two years, yes. But for the previous 10 the juggernaut was huge. Now lifelong fans are bored and thats not all Dublins fault. Nonsense like the super 8s hit crowds across the board. So if crowds are wobblling with a magnificent team, what will happen if you make them worse? Be careful what you wish for.

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on February 20, 2019, 10:42:18 AM

Very fair comment. Any comment from From the Bunker who's usually very quick off the mark?

To be fair, I have no problem with Cars! They are just on loan to players and have little or no effect on performance or giving an individual or a team an unfair advantage.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 20, 2019, 02:49:28 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on February 20, 2019, 10:42:18 AM

To be fair, I have no problem with Cars! They are just on loan to players and have little or no effect on performance or giving an individual or a team an unfair advantage.

;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2019, 02:05:28 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 19, 2019, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 19, 2019, 12:58:43 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 18, 2019, 11:04:19 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 17, 2019, 02:02:11 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 16, 2019, 10:37:53 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 16, 2019, 03:05:20 AM
All this concern for Dublin players who drop out because of sheer numbers is very touching.  Not sure how I managed to miss it all back when we weren't  winning.
Never heard of The Blue Wave initiative or the fact that Dublin gets enough of the coaching development kitty that could pay the wages of a dictator in yer average banana republic?

Nothing to do with what he said though. Suddenly the fans of 31 counties want us broken up to give the nearlymen a shot at county football. Thats new.
Yer dead right. That's because he didn't bother to read what I had to say. Neither may I gently suggest have you. If he wants to know why culchies are upset about Dublin's recent dominance anf thinks its all down to pure jealousy, then he seems to knww nothing about the Blue Wave or what way development funds are disbursed.
I just gave facts and figures- nothing magical in that. Anyone with some basic maths would come up with the same results. I never said I felt sorry or glad for those who could play intercounty football if Dublin was split along county boundaries. That's up to Dublin GAA folks but it does mean you are getting along with a very small percentage of the general population and you need all the money you can lay your hands on in order to stay afloat, never mind increase your market share.
The Gah in Dublin is under severe pressure and needs all the cash that's going but that's because of the basket case way your club structure is organised.
Now, that is an opinion but it's based on facts and figures I have posted now and in the past and I will stand over what I am saying.
Unless there is radical change within the association and sooner rather than later, the whole shebang is gonna go tits up.

Hold on, make your mind up. Dublin GAA is a shambles in imminent danger of collapse or a superfinded juggernaut going to win everything for years. Pick one, it cant be both.

Or, you are rei forcing the point that all this is is the whining of culchie thicks who would rather hurl from the ditch than roll up tbe sleeves amd do what Dublin did.
Can't be both?  Oh, yes it can!
It takes increasing chunks of grant money to keep the show on the road. If we were talking about a business venture here, the receivers would have been called in long ago. A bit of basic maths tells its own story.
Okay then, since you insist. Here's the population figures for the Dublin region, based on the census returns of 2016 and 1996, (1,345,000 and 1,058,000 respectively.)
That, by any metric you like, marks a general increase of over 21%.
Has the number of Dublin GAA players increased by anything near that percentage? What about the number of clubs?
I can only think of one new club in that period, (Tyrellstown) and that is struggling for survival. Has general attendance figures gone up 21% in that twenty years?
Unless you can give a definite Yes to those questions, the reality is that Dublin GAA is losing its market share.
On the specifics, Tallaght has a population roughly the same as County Cavan, about 76,000. Tallaght has just one Gaelic club, St. Marks and that hurling. Cavan has a total of 33. There is no way Tallaght has the same percentage of the population involved in GAA affairs as the culchies of Cavan has and the same can be said for the entire Dublin region- all have tiny numbers of the population bothering their arses about Gaelic affairs, club or county.
I don't want to go on and on about facts and figures, they could wreck a head of cabbage. But they may be dry but don't tell lies

Firstly there are at least 4 clubs in Tallaght. One was in the news a lot about 10 years ago.

But the rest proves my point. Dublin is a very difficult place for the GAA to operate. We are way befind soccer numbers and reach wise, and much as I hate rugby country nonsense, they are growing into working class areas fanwise. So we target kids and then put a structure round those who show talent. And this is the conveyor belt. We will never have huge participation, so why bother. Quality over quantity.

My issue is the traditional areas, like my own, have been left behind to target rugby areas and a better class of parent, but i see the logic.

How much of that 21% are Dubs? And yes, overall crowds are way higher than 20 years ago.

Are we losing market share? Last two years, yes. But for the previous 10 the juggernaut was huge. Now lifelong fans are bored and thats not all Dublins fault. Nonsense like the super 8s hit crowds across the board. So if crowds are wobblling with a magnificent team, what will happen if you make them worse? Be careful what you wish for.
I guess the club you are referring to is Thomas Davis and the spat it got into with Shamrock Rovers and the city council over the proposed used of the soccer adium that had been half built in Tallaght.
I imagine Davis, along with Annes Bohernabreena and Ballyboden all draw members from the Tallaght area but, I don't imagine the rank and file in any of them would push the Tallaght connection.
Technically, Bohernabreena is part of Tallaght but the rank and file there don't associate with Tallaght in any way. Just as the residents of Broombridge and that general area would have no affinity with Erin's Isle but in fact they are within the traditional Finglas boundary. AS you don't have parish limits in Dublin, I can't say for certain that any players from that side of the Tolka river play for Oliver Plunkett's but it''s odds-on that they do.
I am pretty serious about what I've been saying about the weaknesses in the Dublin club structures. (Okay, maybe a bit of messing, once in a while.)
In the main, I am going by the findings of the Strategic Review Committee, set up in 2002. (Can't be 100% of the date the report was issued.) The main remit of the committee members was to identify the reason for the very high dropout rate amongst Dublin juvenile layers and to come up with a solution.
There were two main findings; one was that there was a lack of opportunity to continue playing for all but the best as kids grew older. The other was of equal importance; the lack of a community involvement. (I didn't phrase that well, I know.) Take the club I am most familiar with. Erin's Isle. It draws its juvenile members from the local primary schools in the Finglas region.
Nothing wrong with that I suppose but for one thing:
the rivalry, indeed animosity, between schoolkids can be pretty intense and it deters many youngsters from playing club football unless they have a number of their school pals along with them. The fuss erupted when the committee recommended that County Dublin be split in two put paid to all committee recommendations. The report was quietly shelved but the problems still remain and are getting worse.

Most country clubs are glad to have all the young players they have staying on as they get older and the number of teams a club fields grew fewer. In Dublin the reverse is true. I believe that in Dublin club football only the best can continue playing on to at an adult level because of a lack of opportunity to do so.
Sure, young players in any code will stop playing for a good number of reasons and this is not unique to Dublin club football. However, in Dublin some clubs can field more underage players than the combined total of many counties but there is little or no cases where lads have to opt out because there is no room for them at higher age levels.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

manfromdelmonte

For all the money in Dublin some GAA clubs have gone out of existence in the last 10 years.
And they might only be 'small clubs' but small clubs are the backbone of the association

priceyreilly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 20, 2019, 10:24:23 PM
For all the money in Dublin some GAA clubs have gone out of existence in the last 10 years.
And they might only be 'small clubs' but small clubs are the backbone of the association

How many new clubs have been set up?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 20, 2019, 10:33:48 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 20, 2019, 10:24:23 PM

How many new clubs have been set up?

In the last 10 years? Cant think of any.

Rossfan

So 64% of GAA officialdom vote to continue to give Dublin 2 home games in the AI Qtr  Final series.
I hope the hoors win 10 in a row.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2019, 01:45:37 PM
So 64% of GAA officialdom vote to continue to give Dublin 2 home games in the AI Qtr  Final series.
I hope the hoors win 10 in a row.

Expected vote i suppose by those at the top however when you see comments like this you would have to wonder are they for real?

John Costello, Dublin GAA: On Donegal propose motion.

"I have been attending congress since I was a youth delegate in the late seventies, and I think this is the first motion I have experienced that is divisive and mean-spirited.

Former GAA President, Sean Kelly:

"This is a very negative motino and deserves a negative response. Anyone who wants to beat the Dubs should aspire to do so in Croke Park. That's certainly what we aspire to do in Kerry as we bid to stop the Drive for Five."

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose