NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 19, 2019, 07:35:23 AM
My Mayo v Dublin  prediction is a narrow Dublin win.

Oh and by the way...let's stick to predicting based on football please. Yes FtB, looking firmly at you.
If Mayo win the Dubs are definitely out of contention for the League final
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 18, 2019, 07:49:35 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 18, 2019, 04:27:15 PM
Damien Comer is out for the entirety of the league for a Galway due to surgery on his ankle.
That is in the months recovery timeframe you'd imagine, will he be even right for the start of the championship? Not an injury you'd want to be rushing back from.

I imagine he'll be fit alright for championship but he won't have any football done whatsoever. Whether that means he'll be nice and fresh or badly lacking match sharpness who knows?

Seems like they thought his injury would heal without surgery at first but now they have to go back and get it done.

There's 4 months to the Connacht final, think its unlikely we see the best of Comer by the middle of June if at all this summer.

He's admitted himself he suffered a lot with injuries and had the tendency to do too much work in the gym to compensate and with the type of injury he's reported to have its going to be difficult to get back to where he was last summer.

Crete Boom

Oh and by the way...let's stick to predicting based on football please. Yes FtB, looking firmly at you.

I am thinking the same, Mayo put it up to them then the superior Duns bench put us away in the last 10 or 15 mins so the Dubs by 4 or 5.
Although we could struggle in midfield so maybe the Dubs open up a bit more in the second half and the margin could be greater but I still think we will keep it more interesting than recent years!!

The Hill is Blue

On the face of it Mayo have to be favourites. They've made a blistering start to the league while Dublin have been slow off the blocks. I think James Horan would like to end the Dubs' narrow dominance over Mayo in Croker and I suspect that he will send out a team to do that. On the other hand Jim Gavin will probably want to stem the flow of losses and will certainly want to maintain the Dubs' stranglehold over Mayo in Croker.

A lot of uncertainty about how this game will pan out, as there always is at this time of the year.

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

MayoBuck

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on February 19, 2019, 12:04:40 PM

On the face of it Mayo have to be favourites. They've made a blistering start to the league while Dublin have been slow off the blocks. I think James Horan would like to end the Dubs' narrow dominance over Mayo in Croker and I suspect that he will send out a team to do that. On the other hand Jim Gavin will probably want to stem the flow of losses and will certainly want to maintain the Dubs' stranglehold over Mayo in Croker.

A lot of uncertainty about how this game will pan out, as there always is at this time of the year.

How many meaningful games have Dublin lost in Croke Park over the last few years? The league final against Kerry is the only one I can think of since 2014.

Dublin are rightly favourites for this game. Bookies are saying 3 points is the handicap.

Hound

Quote from: MayoBuck on February 19, 2019, 01:51:44 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on February 19, 2019, 12:04:40 PM

How many meaningful games have Dublin lost in Croke Park over the last few years? The league final against Kerry is the only one I can think of since 2014.

Dublin are rightly favourites for this game. Bookies are saying 3 points is the handicap.
That's the only one I remember too, regardless of location!

Really looking forward to this. Especially what we do with O'Connor at midfield.
I think the Dubs will really go for it. Even though it's not going to count for a whole lot, it will give Mayo a little edge for the summer if they beat us. And Jim won't want that, I guess. I definitely don't want it!

Tactics will be fascinating, given they won't want to give away their full hand, but will want to win. Should be attacking policies from both sides.

moysider

I expect Horan will see this as just another league game and keep looking at some new players. See what happens.
There is no pressure for points in this one because of good start and there is no concern about winning the league or anything.
I wouldn't rule out a Mayo win but it would be of no significance if we did - for what might happen later in the year that is. Losing would not be of any great significance either,

Jell 0 Biafra

Agree with that.  Though given that a Mayo win  would eliminate Dublin from a league final, and give Mayo a clear shot at a national title, I wonder whether that would be motivation enough?

Jell 0 Biafra

Here's what you said, Lar:

How many Dublin club players drop out of the game before they would wish because of the lack of opportunity to advance to at least one higher level?
IMO, that's the real tragedy.

Here's what I said back:

All this concern for Dublin players who drop out because of sheer numbers is very touching.  Not sure how I managed to miss it all back when we weren't  winning.

Neither one of us mentioned the county game in regards to when players drop out.

You said 'tragedy', about Dublin players dropping out.  If that isn't expressing an opinion, then I give up.  Maybe English isn't your first language?

There's lots of good arguments to be had about Dublin's advantages, but this one--players losing out-- is just disingenuous.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 21, 2019, 02:23:41 AM

How many Dublin club players drop out of the game before they would wish because of the lack of opportunity to advance to at least one higher level?

Here's what I said back:

All this concern for Dublin players who drop out because of sheer numbers is very touching.  Not sure how I managed to miss it all back when we weren't  winning.

Neither one of us mentioned the county game in regards to when players drop out.

You said 'tragedy', about Dublin players dropping out.  If that isn't expressing an opinion, then I give up.  Maybe English isn't your first language?

There's lots of good arguments to be had about Dublin's advantages, but this one--players losing out-- is just disingenuous.

Ah here, I did say to discuss the match based on footballing ability. ;) I expect Mayo to name their starting 15 tonight sometime. We'll see exactly what's on Horan's mind then. I'd be happy enough to see what Horan described in his first coming as consistently competitive. If we can compete on Saturday night, then that'll do me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 21, 2019, 02:23:41 AM

Here's what I said back:

You are dead right; I did express a fairly definite opinion but that was in the post you replied to and your response missed my points completely. When you said "Not sure how I managed to miss it all back when we weren't  winning," I gave up.
I thought I had gone to sufficient lengths to say what would happen if Dublin was split into its constituent counties and the benefits in player involvement that would mean to the GAA. I was careful to avoid saying I was sorry for anyone- either Dublin players or the rest of the country.
I thought I was using elementary maths and that there was no scope for error i n my conclusions. Of all culchies on this board, I have emphasised again and again that I have no time for moaning about Dublin's share of the development funding or any other advantages Dublin have, some real and some imagined, over all others.
The place to do this is at county board level. I also believe that it is unrealistic to expect Dublin to cede anything- turkeys don't vote for Christmas and all that....
I don't have concern for DUblin players losing out and never said I had --I was just giving figureds and it's up to everyone else to draw their own conclusions.
However, on the personal front, concentrating on quality at the expense f quantity is the opposite of everything I believe in and this is definitely what club football in Dublin is designed for.
I am coming from a background of decades of involvement with primary schools' football in Dublin and I have had first hand experience of what I am talking about. Talking about great things to come as GDO coaches go out to entice kids to get involved in GAA activities is like trying to teach yer granny to suck eggs. It's well intentioned but extremely naive. If teachers on the ground in every boys' school in Dublin couldn't manage to widen the playing base, then what's the odds that outsiders can succeed where the likes of me failed.
I mentioned before about the time my sixth class felt Gah was a pansy's game and they could bate the socks off any team they'd take on. A few played for the school team but most hadn't a clue about the game and cared even less either..
However with a few basic ground rules, they were ready to take on all comers.
In short, they plastered the other sixth class, then the school team and every other school in the parish that accepted the challenge. Then they wanted to have a go at the Isles u-12s and no bother to my gang, they knew sweet damn all about packed defences or playing sweepers or that sort of stuff.
They played for the sheer enjoyment and the fun of playing with their pals and every single one of the 30 in the class had some part to play, if you'll pardon the pun. They were fast running out of opposition as the end of the school year was coming up so I asked the manager of the Whitehall club to accept  a challenge. We knocked the smirk off his face without a bother!
They were playing with their pales and they knew and trusted their manager and they played for the sheer fun of it. Not a single one opted to play football with Isles or any other Gaelic club after they finished primary school and if I couldn't persuade anyone to stay at the game, I don't fancy the odds of any outsider doing better.There was a strong bond of friendship and trust between everyone and playing the game was played for the right reasons.
Now, when I say I see problems with the way the GDO system is organised, I am speaking from experience. Furthermore when I talk about Dublin losing its market share of the player and spectator market, I am not talking about bums on seats in Croker.
If you go by census returns, ( here I go again!) the population of Dublin increased by 21% over a 20 year period from 1996 to 2016. Has the numbers playing increased by the same amount? Has the numbers involved at club level increased by 21% either?
If the senior side wasn't grabbing the highlights now, there's be a lot less than there was 20 years ago.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Blowitupref

Six changes to the Mayo team published for Saturday night but will that team start as selected?

1. Rob Hennelly - Breaffy
2. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis(C)
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
13. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thejuice

A strong side for mayo. Definitely looking to get an elusive win against the Dubs and sink their league hopes in the process. Still give Dublin the edge as they're getting back to full fitness but without Clinton and the injured lads they're vulnerable.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 21, 2019, 07:44:21 PM
Six changes to the Mayo team published for Saturday night but will that team start as selected?

1. Rob Hennelly - Breaffy
2. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis(C)
5. Lee Keegan - Westport
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
7. Paddy Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
9. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
11. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
13. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
14. Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

Happy enough with that team. Should have a cut at the Dubs at least.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MayoBuck

Surprised Diarmuid and Kevin McLoughlin aren't there assuming they're fit? I would have kept Michael Plunkett at centre half back as well.