2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Disappointing last quarter when the fat was in the fire, that's the major takeaway. Wouldn't be too happy with the lack of substitutes when Dublin went down to 14 men, a few looked gassed, if the GPS can't tell you Cooke was gone with about 20 minutes to go then it's time to get another brand because it's not doing the job, it's a 20 man game now.

Big difference in the restarts when a possession was really needed, Galway still don't have the structure to manufacture a guaranteed mark or catch. Lavelle made two good saves, it's an issue with the movement out the field and the plan to go with it. Dublin won 3 Galway kick outs in a row and were rampant in those few minutes, have to be able to ease the pressure.
Galway probably needed a goal to have any chance to win and didn't look like getting it, Kyne over cooked a hand pass to Heaney in the first half when he might have been through, can't remember too many other chances. The Conroy wide when there was an overlap on in the second half was an example of the poor decision making that the Dubs don't do. Composure in pressure situations is the key thing and Dublin have that way more than Galway at the minute, they are used to winning big matches, we are not.

The other thing they are used to is Croke Park and it's a massive factor, you don't realise it until you hear the baying of the Dublin crowd on the ref when it's your team in opposition. The home advantage is huge for the Dubs, we couldn't buy a free down the stretch for the exact same type of fouls that had been blown all day prior to that, after the Dublin sending off we hadn't a hope of getting anything never mind a 50/50. I don't think that it was the difference in the result though and I don't want any suggestion of whining, Galway have to learn to adapt to this and Dublin are a superb outfit even when not at full tilt who fully deserved to win. There should have been black cards early and they were not to be seen, both teams could have had men go off on the black.
Galway made plenty of mistakes themselves down the stretch in terms of pass/shot selection, they will also now know that if you carry the ball into the tackle when it's in the melting pot you will not get any easy free, solution is to not take the ball into contact, recycle and go again just like the Dubs do.

Massive learning experience for the players and it cannot be stressed enough how much Galway should have got out of that league in terms of experience and confidence. Management should take a lot of learning from today as well, they can't be happy with some of the decisions they made on the line.
That is supposing that they take those lessons on board to improve moving forward, that league won't be worth much if the championship is a wash out.

All focus on Castlebar now, Mayo will bring a massive challenge compared to 16/17 I think, Galway will be determined to match and better it, I can't wait.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 01, 2018, 07:39:37 PM
Some of the frees awarded to Dublin were ridiculous. Feel the touch of a glove, fall to your knees..free in. Joke.

Thought he was equally bad for both teams for most of the game but yeah the last 10/12 minutes there it got very one way. Probably making up for the red card.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on April 01, 2018, 07:47:17 PM
Some of the frees awarded to Dublin were ridiculous. Feel the touch of a glove, fall to your knees..free in. Joke.

Ah here Galway got some blatantly soft ones too. Ref wasn't great but hardly favoured Dublin.

Ref clearly favoured Dublin. FFS, Philly should have been sent off after 15 minutes and that's before him riding Galway for frees. Comer needed to be rugby tackled before he'd get something today.

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on April 01, 2018, 08:04:11 PM

Ah here Galway got some blatantly soft ones too. Ref wasn't great but hardly favoured Dublin.

Ref clearly favoured Dublin. FFS, Philly should have been sent off after 15 minutes and that's before him riding Galway for frees. Comer needed to be rugby tackled before he'd get something today.

First time in a long time I find myself in agreement with you. Also johnny cooper gets away with more s hit than any other player for sone reason .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on April 01, 2018, 08:37:57 PM

First time in a long time I find myself in agreement with you. Also johnny cooper gets away with more s hit than any other player for sone reason .
[/b]

The reason is simple, he's playing all his important games at home in front of a partisan crowd.  Referees are human and crowds at matches affect their decisions, I've seen it first hand in Castlebar for Mayo games. To top it off most of the top referees live and work in Dublin.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 01, 2018, 08:50:02 PM

[/b]

The reason is simple, he's playing all his important games at home in front of a partisan crowd.  Referees are human and crowds at matches affect their decisions, I've seen it first hand in Castlebar for Mayo games. To top it off most of the top referees live and work in Dublin.

Nonsense and good to see the Galway posters aren't falling for it. The ref made poor decisions, the second yellow to Scully being one of them but there's a section of this board that can't take off their anti-Dubs glasses.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on April 01, 2018, 08:58:06 PM

[/b]

Nonsense and good to see the Galway posters aren't falling for it. The ref made poor decisions, the second yellow to Scully being one of them but there's a section of this board that can't take off their anti-Dubs glasses.

There are people who can't take off their pro-Dubs glasses as well! If I swing more one way, well you sure as hell swing more the other way! ;)

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on April 01, 2018, 08:58:06 PM

[/b]

That attempted admonishing rings a bit hollow when it's coming from Dublin's #1 defender and supporter, you'd have to admit.

Zulu

Not really. I've no interest in Dublin per say I just respond to the more outlandish anti-Dub stuff on here. If I've a grĂ¡ for any county outside my own it's yours though I like to see all genuine football counties to do well. Because my own county won't challenge for an All Ireland in my lifetime (unfortunately) I'm not partisan in any way.

Dinny Breen

That's Dublin's 9th National Title out of 11, delighted for them. They work so bloody hard, could be real turning point in the Capital's fortunes.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

larryin89

I think the most poignant moment came when apparently the new president whispered to stevie no autograph "have the day off tomorrow bud"
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 01, 2018, 09:28:05 PM
That's Dublin's 9th National Title out of 11, delighted for them. They work so bloody hard, could be real turning point in the Capital's fortunes.

If you look at League, AI and Leinster titles since 2013 they have 14 titles won out of 16!

Wildweasel74

Time and again when its in the melting pot and the other team on top they cant put dublin away! No excuse with 14 men! Dublin not as strong as other years; the new players aint as good as the older ones! Is brogan retired?  Flynn and Connolly still plenty to offer! I play Connolly full forward! 4 in a row possible but theres a chance been caught in this super 8 format

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2018, 09:45:51 PM
Time and again when its in the melting pot and the other team on top they cant put dublin away! No excuse with 14 men! Dublin not as strong as other years; the new players aint as good as the older ones! Is brogan retired?  Flynn and Connolly still plenty to offer! I play Connolly full forward! 4 in a row possible but theres a chance been caught in this super 8 format

You are kidding? The Super 8 format gives them an extra chance if they lose a group game! They unlike all the rest will have at least two home games and the quick game format over the 3 weeks, is designed for counties with a big squad who can cope with injuries, suspensions and just general fatigue!