Mayo v Down NFL Division 1

Started by Farrandeelin, March 28, 2016, 05:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Played in the AI minor final in 2000. So is around the 34 mark?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2016, 09:55:57 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 30, 2016, 09:53:09 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on March 30, 2016, 09:29:46 PM
https://m.facebook.com/Gaa-Mayo-1505938419671831/
If that story appeared on Friday, I don't think very many would get excited about what Conoreen may or may not plan to do but as it ain't April's Fool Day yet so I dunno what to think. At 33 or thereabouts I don't think he would be the answer to Mayo's scoring problems but let's see what happpens...

He had a right go at the players (rightly) for throwing H&C under the bus for their own failings on the field. It's going to be a strange world where Conoreen is the Mayo player with his head screwed on right.

I thought you know everything Syferus :D. If you do then you would well know like a lot of the Mayo posters here I am sure do ,  that the failings on the pitch were as far from the reason the players made their move against Pat & Noel as you could possibly get.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on March 30, 2016, 10:50:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2016, 10:42:48 PM
Played in the AI minor final in 2000. So is around the 34 mark?

32/3
Don't think that haircut will sit well with Jinxy...

moysider

Tis 19 years or so since I saw him play first. He was with St. Mary's in Galway. He was a scamp then and probably still is. Smallest lad on the pitch (trying to bulk up with several layers of jerseys) and by far the best in decent company. A freak when you think about it. In an era of gym monkeys I doubt he ever hit more than 11 stone.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on March 30, 2016, 11:30:33 PM

Tis 19 years or so since I saw him play first. He was with St. Mary's in Galway. He was a scamp then and probably still is. Smallest lad on the pitch (trying to bulk up with several layers of jerseys) and by far the best in decent company. A freak when you think about it. In an era of gym monkeys I doubt he ever hit more than 11 stone.

Will there ever come a point when Mayo supporters take Conor back into the green and red bosom and celebrate his achievements and efforts for his county rather than just knock him, Moy?

saffronandblue

I believe I was there with you Moysider at that game. A fair few county lads on show but Mort was in deed the star. Have always been a fan. Cannot be blamed for Mayo's failings in the past.

thebuzz

Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2016, 11:41:25 PM

Will there ever come a point when Mayo supporters take Conor back into the green and red bosom and celebrate his achievements and efforts for his county rather than just knock him, Moy?

Sure didn't Cavan take Seanie Johnson back into the fold and his indiscretions were far worse than Conor's in my view? If he's still fit and up for it why shouldn't he be given another chance? He would do no harm as an impact sub. He gave his all for Mayo for years and deserves another chance if he's still good enough and can blend into the team again.

moysider

Quote from: saffronandblue on March 30, 2016, 11:50:59 PM
I believe I was there with you Moysider at that game. A fair few county lads on show but Mort was in deed the star. Have always been a fan. Cannot be blamed for Mayo's failings in the past.

You were too. That was some day! there was mopping up that lasted weeks!! lol.
You're right. Never a dull moment with him. For a lad his size he was game as could be and had an unbelievable radar for a ball and deadly. Later on he seemed to get a bit conservative with goal chances, but as a kid he was deadly for goals. Ah yeah, he is up there with the best kids I ve seen. McDanger, Meehan, Boyle, Breheny and Hanley were others that were special quality as kids. But Conoreen size probably made him the biggest jaw-dropper of them all.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2016, 11:41:25 PM

Short answer, no.
I think his career could have been handled better when he was a kid and he could have done some things different himself maybe. But if he wasn't that scamp character he would not have cut it with the limitations he had in stature maybe? He was what he was. A biteen spoiled maybe when he was younger on the back of his brothers.
But he will never be forgiven for walking away before that Connacht final. He will never be forgiven for that I'd say in the general population.
I don t hold it against him personally. It didn t surprise me.
What does surprise me though is that he didn t have people close to him to tell him that this was a no-no. If I recall family backed him up as being mistreated? As I say it is complicated but probably could have been minded better. Boarding school probably a mistake for a start. He was dropped off a minor team in his first year for 'insubordination'. But then the coach ( a top coach imo) was the one that ended up dumped for the following year when we lost AI final. He was scamp and spoiled rotten it seems but he was one hell of a player.

rosnarun

only Question in my opinion is wheter he is still up to it or not , any one know what his club form is like?
if he could give mayo six months and mayo Kept  no one would give a dhit what way he came into the Squad  except Evan regan if he was Dropped for him.
funny that when it looks like Mort is finally replaced he decides to come back
BTW
I don't believe the roumours but the may be a Dublin  coaching Role for him or something??I mean of course for mayo players
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: rosnarun on March 31, 2016, 10:30:20 AM
only Question in my opinion is wheter he is still up to it or not , any one know what his club form is like?
if he could give mayo six months and mayo Kept  no one would give a dhit what way he came into the Squad  except Evan regan if he was Dropped for him.
BTW
I don't believe the roumours but the may be a Dublin  coaching Role for him or something??I mean of course for mayo players

Think he's playing for parnells, not sure.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Hound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on March 31, 2016, 10:33:09 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 31, 2016, 10:30:20 AM
BTW

Think he's playing for parnells, not sure.
Don't think he's played any this year, and missed plenty last year. 2 years ago he was playing quite well in a centre forward playmaking role. Think I heard he's been playing some soccer this year. He's still running the gym in Parnells I understand.

So the chances of him making a playing comeback for Mayo are utterly remote, I would say

bigfrank

Was just a rumour that got the pulses racing,he confirmed it on Twitter there

moysider

Ah well, that was a bit of a distraction while it lasted.