snooker world championship

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 09, 2007, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

This was the best World Championship in years, no surprise Ronnie went far in it.

Snooker could do with some good young players coming on the scene. The last really top young player was Judd Trump in 2010/11 and he's 31 now.

square_ball

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 18, 2020, 01:37:34 PM
This was the best World Championship in years, no surprise Ronnie went far in it.

Snooker could do with some good young players coming on the scene. The last really top young player was Judd Trump in 2010/11 and he's 31 now.

Definitely do. A quick glance at the rankings and there are only 3 players under 30 in the top 16 and majority of the others are close to or are over 40. Ronnie was right in what he saying about the standard not being good among the younger players. Snooker needs a few superstars ASAP or ended when Ronnie retires and a few others the sport will be in the doldrums.

BennyCake

Ronnie great player, but I can't be arsed with his antics and complaining.

Since snooker opened up its closed shop, the scene has changed so frequently that players are in and out of tournaments, it's hard to build up an interest in certain players. People got so familiar with the players in the 80's that they were all household names, most of them were characters and everyone knew their traits and mannerisms. I think that's what's lacking in snooker these days.

Hound

Quote from: square_ball on August 18, 2020, 01:55:46 PM

Definitely do. A quick glance at the rankings and there are only 3 players under 30 in the top 16 and majority of the others are close to or are over 40. Ronnie was right in what he saying about the standard not being good among the younger players. Snooker needs a few superstars ASAP or ended when Ronnie retires and a few others the sport will be in the doldrums.
I would guess the percentage of young people playing snooker regularly in the UK is the lowest it's been in 40 years or more

Franko

Quote from: Hound on August 18, 2020, 03:56:25 PM

I would guess the percentage of young people playing snooker regularly in the UK is the lowest it's been in 40 years or more

Years ago, a good proportion of bars/social clubs had a snooker table.  I don't remember the last time I saw one in a bar other than Casement Park social club.  The last snooker hall within about 10 miles of me closed down a few months back also.  Coupled with the lack of drinks and tobacco sponsorship (the gambling sponsorship is on it's way out too IMO), it's definitely a dying sport.

Maiden1

Yeah I like a lot of people got a 6ft snooker table for Christmas but not sure any kids would ask for a table now.  Also there used to be a load of snooker halls about that you would get a bit high from all the ones smoking a joint while playing that have all been knocked down and converted into flats or whatever now.  Break building has got a lot better in the last 20 years due to better coaching, lighter balls, thinner clothes, heated tables, properly weighted 2 pieces cues etc. but the standard of match play has got a lot worse when you see players like Ken Doherty or Jimmy White still with an outside chance of making the last 32.  Wilson is probably the best of the young players (under 30) but he plays some real amateur shots like potting the last red when he needs 3 snookers, hitting a tricky red hard to get on the black when he only needs the red.  Things like that is part of the reason I think Ronnie is shaking his head thinking the standard of match play from the young players isn't that good.

Current top 16

Judd Trump (30)
Ronnie O'Sullivan  (44)
Neil Robertson (38)
Mark Selby (37)
Mark Allen (34)
Kyren Wilson (28)
John Higgins (45)
Shaun Murphy (38)
Stephen Maguire (39)
Mark Williams (45)
David Gilbert (39)
Ding Junhui (33)
Stuart Bingham (44)
Jack Lisowski (29)
Yan Bingtao (20)
Joe Perry (46)
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on August 18, 2020, 04:27:25 PM

Years ago, a good proportion of bars/social clubs had a snooker table.  I don't remember the last time I saw one in a bar other than Casement Park social club.  The last snooker hall within about 10 miles of me closed down a few months back also.  Coupled with the lack of drinks and tobacco sponsorship (the gambling sponsorship is on it's way out too IMO), it's definitely a dying sport.

In Belfast you had Frames's, was a great set up, in West Belfast you had St Paul's Snooker hall (spent many a time in there being hustled), and the West social club, we had a snooker table in our club for years, and ran xmas handicap competitions every year, best craic, ditched that room to create a bigger area  and put in a smaller pool table. there was also snooker tables down in the Royal hospital social club, on the Broadway entrance.. so just where I lived you had 4 or five places that had tables within a mile or two..

Lots of clubs had them, but probably like ourselves got rid of them and put in extra space for punters
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2020, 08:50:22 AM
Quote from: Franko on August 18, 2020, 04:27:25 PM

In Belfast you had Frames's, was a great set up, in West Belfast you had St Paul's Snooker hall (spent many a time in there being hustled), and the West social club, we had a snooker table in our club for years, and ran xmas handicap competitions every year, best craic, ditched that room to create a bigger area  and put in a smaller pool table. there was also snooker tables down in the Royal hospital social club, on the Broadway entrance.. so just where I lived you had 4 or five places that had tables within a mile or two..

Lots of clubs had them, but probably like ourselves got rid of them and put in extra space for punters

Was there a 12 foot table up in the Johnnies social club as well MR2?

JPGJOHNNYG

There were loads of snooker halls. Use to go to the manor in my teens on the Lisburn road. I presume it's still there and one down near the students Union can't remember it's name.

ONeill

Used to go to one in Clonoe every Friday. It was the highlight of the week. That and seeing the cousin.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on August 19, 2020, 05:07:46 PM
Used to go to one in Clonoe every Friday. It was the highlight of the week. That and seeing the cousin.

oakleaflad

Typical Tyrone  ;D

Square Ball

Can't remember the name but there was one behind the Falls Bru, used to go there on a Friday with a few tins of Royal Dutch, couldn't see the other end of the room with the smoke. Was a member of the West and O'Ds who also had a table. There was also the Alambra on lower north street
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

michaelg

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 19, 2020, 02:45:20 PM
There were loads of snooker halls. Use to go to the manor in my teens on the Lisburn road. I presume it's still there and one down near the students Union can't remember it's name.
There was the Claremont Cne toolub and I think the Shaftesbury too - Would imagine both are now go

square_ball

Remember McGraths snooker club alright. Gervin's still going in Coalisland though not sure how busy or popular it is these days. I remember in the academy days bunking off and head to the tables in the INF - don't know if that's still on the go?