Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDanger

QuoteDidn't Brady play there at underage?
No, don't think so.

Would like to see another two players who can't defend in the half back line. Time to get defenders at the back instead of just good footballers.

stephenite

Ger played at both corner back and half back for the Mayo Minors, corner back when he was 15 marking a certain Beano McDonald

mylestheslasher

joemamas

Fishead_Sam

Is it true that Keith Higgins broke his hand playing hurling last week? This might be old news but only heard it today.

Barney

Fishead, Keith H got an injury alright - he either broken his wrist, arm, or a bone in his hand, or the x-rays showed up clear. It doesn't look good and probably means we will be without our only defender for the next day.

Nothing too radical in the team against Cavan. Glad to see Aidan Higgins at corner-back. Trevor and Ger Brady in the half-back doesn't do it for me. Ger Brady won't work hard enough, its not about fitting him into the team, it should be about finding room for him on the bench at this stage. And of course the people's champion is back - top of the left and about to terrorise one of the following teams that we can draw:

Roscommon
Galway/Leitrim
Longford
Westmeath
Kildare
Louth
Meath
Wexford/Laois
Dublin (but only if they lose to Offaly)
Donegal
Armagh
Fermanagh
Down
Cavan
Derry/Monaghan
Limerick

The scenario is we most beat two of this list to get to the last twelve. There we would face one of the beaten provincial finalists who at this stage may look like Laois/Wexford, Sligo, Derry/Monaghan or Cork/Kerry. Other than Cork/Kerry (unless there is an unbelievable performance) I think we would have a chance there.

My own opinion is to get a nice home draw. If we are any good we can win that and then face one of the big guns to see if it worth our while going further.

Any word on that challenge with Laois?

the Deel Rover

anyone hear how mayo did against laois at the weekend
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Msgr. Horan

Take this as you will but according to the Cavan match report Austie scored 1-1 and the Cavan reporter had some praise for him. BJ seemed to be back at FF, the poor lad mustnt know wether hes coming or going. I think the number 1 jersey will be next. Mayo were 8 points down with 8 minutes left in the Cavan game, Reilly seemed to give Higgins a bit of a roasting, 2 goals.

Tubberman

Heard Mayo beat Laois at the weekend, but I didn't get any details at all.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Barney

Keith Higgins has a broken bone in his hand. Will miss the qualifiers.

A huge loss. We're down to zero backs now.

That's good news Tubberman that we have ended the run of defeats even if it is only a challenge. Anyone with details it would be appreciated.

intoDwest

Bad news about Higgins, time for Howley I suppose, mind you I'd rather Howley on the half back line.

the ship

Barney

A friend texted me to tell me that it was 3-12 to 0-12 for Mayo against Laois. Game was played somewhere neutral. maybe Kiltoom again.

Barney

QuoteA crestfallen Roscommon boss John Maughan said: "We are shattered. We were six points up and the game should have been won. That's the hardest part of it.

"There is no guarantee you will win when you show up but when you go six points up in the second half of a championship match you should win the game."

ouch, we heard that one before

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Barney on June 18, 2007, 04:34:27 PM
QuoteA crestfallen Roscommon boss John Maughan said: "We are shattered. We were six points up and the game should have been won. That's the hardest part of it.

"There is no guarantee you will win when you show up but when you go six points up in the second half of a championship match you should win the game."

ouch, we heard that one before

Ros were lucky to be 6 points up - its not as though they were dominating the game. Really a comment like that from Maughan shows how poor a reader of the game he is. From the start Ros were struggling to win possession and Sligo were winning most of the 50/50 duels. Even if we were 6 points up Maugan should have been concerned about this and trying to stop the dominance of the Sligo wing backs.

Please Mayo take him back - he is the ultimate con man.