A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 01, 2021, 12:08:46 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 31, 2021, 10:33:57 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 31, 2021, 08:11:06 PM
Quote from: michaelg on January 31, 2021, 06:09:08 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 31, 2021, 01:28:09 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 31, 2021, 12:54:44 PM
Quote from: red hander on January 30, 2021, 08:16:44 PM
Do you think the authorities, if Shinners are in a position of power, whether in full control of in a majority position, will let these scum dictate future, it's not going to happen. They will be wiped out, finally. And people from unionist community who want to participate in true democracy will have that, where they have big say in new Ireland, where they won't be treated way they treated Irish people under their apartheid statlet.
Are you advocating a bit of ethnic cleansing?
Why not try a bit of shoot to kill and internment to see if that teaches them to keep their head down and know their place?

Yeah that kind of language is a disgrace and a glimpse maybe for unionists of what they fear. Remove it please
Nail on head. Some fairly unpleasant comments on this thread.  Yet it's always argued on here that bigotry is a one way street.

I don't think anyone can argue that sectarianism is a one way street. Some of the comments on here are ridiculous. I have known many unionists and loyalists, get on well with them all . I live in area where historically sectarianism from either side wouldn't be tolerated. The "not an inch" stance from unionist politicians is not representative of Unionists I know. Very few unionists will admit to voting DUP  but most do. This is probably because they fear losing their uk link( which I respect) , and as result they vote for the strongest unionist party ( currently DUP) to keep SF from securing the largest party mantle ( which I understand) . I am unashamedly "republican/nationalist" in the sense that I have always had a strong desire for a United Ireland, even when it made no economic sense. However if that " United Ireland" marginalised those from a "unionist/loyalist" tradition , I want no part of it. Both sides have visited terrible tragedy on each other. Regardless of the rationale behind the conflict , there have been thousands of victims, and 27 years after the ceasefire , we still drag our heels regarding dealing with unresolved hurt. I think the economic and political barriers to an All Island solution are largely gone, but any attempt to move on has to be pro-active in healing the hurt on both sides.

Has anyone commented on not catering for unionist needs and concerns here?

I think the commentary has been on the utter bile in political unionism and how their intransigence will inevitably lead to problems.

Think red hander had a few things to say

I think you misunderstood him. He clarified that a few posts back but maybe it's easier for you to misrepresent others?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

skeog

Met a man over the weekend staunch republican who was given the jab on friday got 200 on thursday extra told me he would be thinking carefully about the vote.If it affected his income he said he would be staying put regardless.

armaghniac

Quote from: skeog on February 01, 2021, 11:00:50 AM
Met a man over the weekend staunch republican who was given the jab on friday got 200 on thursday extra told me he would be thinking carefully about the vote.If it affected his income he said he would be staying put regardless.

Obviously not such a staunch republican, not only would he not die for Ireland but he wouldn't do without the overtime. Most people will not see that much difference, but for those who do then it is swings and roundabouts. Sadly, though, it seems that "republicans" who might lose out will vote no will unionists who might gain are also expected to vote no.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Are people being paid "200" if they get the vaccination?
Do those "staunch republicans" know that people in the 26 Cos get paid wages for work? And higher in the main than in the 6.

Meanwhile Bertie says there should be a "Border poll" in 2028 to mark the 30th Anniversary of the GFA.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

😂😂 staunch . Sadly I've met "republicans" like that as well. Diehards , who hate the brits , hate unionists, hate the free state, wouldn't know who Henry shefflin  is, but hang on "sir Alex's" every word, and every British pound's a prisoner. but tbf they have a serious charge of drink on St Patrick's day ☘️ 🇮🇪. Let's face it we all know them North and South of the border. Aye , a republican thinking carefully about a vote for a United Ireland , you literally couldn't make it up😂

Jeepers Creepers

Can we hold off any 'United Ireland' until I get my vaccine in the North!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Probably flat out watching premiership, One Show on BBC and reading the Mirror too, that's my experience of some of these eejits

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: 6th sam on February 01, 2021, 11:40:48 AM

😂😂 staunch . Sadly I've met "republicans" like that as well. Diehards , who hate the brits , hate unionists, hate the free state, wouldn't know who Henry shefflin  is, but hang on "sir Alex's" every word, and every British pound's a prisoner. but tbf they have a serious charge of drink on St Patrick's day ☘️ 🇮🇪. Let's face it we all know them North and South of the border. Aye , a republican thinking carefully about a vote for a United Ireland , you literally couldn't make it up😂

Bang on

Rossfan

So we will have Unionists and Daily Mirror types of "republicans" voting to stay under Westminster.
We will have Nationalists voting for an All Ireland outcome.
That  probably makes it 50 - 30  against UI before the "others" come into play.
Wed better wait till Unionists are down to 30% so🤔 :-[

clonadmad

I think you need to break the news to him that he's a Unionist or an economic unionist at the very least

Is he one of the whad about mai benefits brigade?

tiempo

Do you ever hear the tripe that Ben Lowry of the Newsletter spouts on Eamonn Dunphy's podcast...

Each and every single time:

- 10 to 15 to 20% of Catholics believe... x ... I can't remember the exact figure...
- only 5 to 10% of Catholics are dissident republican in their view
- it wasn't an apartheid state cos look it wasn't South Africa, its impossible

Then he just meanders through a pile of guff relating to the issue of the day and how, you guessed it, Portrush is as British as Finchley

These f**king morons have lost the ideological battle and are staring down the barrel and they know it

No issue at all sharing a new Ireland with would be Unionists and incorporating a proportionate amount of their views and culture, but they'd need to reflect hard on what got them to this point

Not a bad suggestion from Bertie to have the vote on the 30th of The Agreement there or thereabouts, wouldn't be keen on anything longer than that

ardtole

Quote from: Rossfan on February 01, 2021, 12:46:42 PM
So we will have Unionists and Daily Mirror types of "republicans" voting to stay under Westminster.
We will have Nationalists voting for an All Ireland outcome.
That  probably makes it 50 - 30  against UI before the "others" come into play.
Wed better wait till Unionists are down to 30% so🤔 :-[

Plenty of lads on the dole in sandy row and ballymena and newtownards, who in the privacy of the poll booth might be tempted by the 188 euro a week the south are offering.

Rossfan

€203 these days for over 25s and over 18s living independently.

6th sam

Quote from: tiempo on February 01, 2021, 03:57:40 PM
Do you ever hear the tripe that Ben Lowry of the Newsletter spouts on Eamonn Dunphy's podcast...

- 10 to 15 to 20% of Catholics believe... x ... I can't remember the exact figure...

Then he just meanders through a pile of guff relating to the issue of the day and how, you guessed it, Portrush is as British as Finchley

These f**king morons have lost the ideological battle and are staring down the barrel and they know it

No issue at all sharing a new Ireland with would be Unionists and incorporating a proportionate amount of their views and culture, but they'd need to reflect hard on what got them to this point

Not a bad suggestion from Bertie to have the vote on the 30th of The Agreement there or thereabouts, wouldn't be keen on anything longer than that

Is Ben Lowry deluded or dishonest or both. An apologist for all the failings of NI , given far too much airtime. I don't know any nationalist or republican politician who doesn't want to respect British identity , but I have to say political unionism still fails to respect Irish identity . As an Irish nationalist I've lived under British rule all my life, and had to just get on with it. To reassure unionists this didn't in anyway dilute my Irishness ( arguably it reinforced it) , so when unionists move under Irish jurisdiction their Britishness is likely to be reinforced.

restorepride

Quote from: 6th sam on February 01, 2021, 07:54:20 PM
Quote from: tiempo on February 01, 2021, 03:57:40 PM

Is Ben Lowry deluded or dishonest or both. An apologist for all the failings of NI , given far too much airtime. I don't know any nationalist or republican politician who doesn't want to respect British identity , but I have to say political unionism still fails to respect Irish identity . As an Irish nationalist I've lived under British rule all my life, and had to just get on with it. To reassure unionists this didn't in anyway dilute my Irishness ( arguably it reinforced it) , so when unionists move under Irish jurisdiction their Britishness is likely to be reinforced.
Who is Ben Lowry?