BBC Interview with D.J.Carey

Started by Pangurban, December 17, 2006, 08:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

DJ was interviewed on BBC Hardtalk last night. Spoke very impressively about what the GAA and in particular his local club meant to him. Discussed the GPA at lenght, was emphatically opposed to any form of pay for play and hoped it would never happen. Believed that endorsement payments to high profile players such as himself, shoul be shared with lesser lights at club and county level where possible. His biggest gripe was the lack of insurance for players., Quote....Every person sitting in the stands or on the terracing is covered by insurance should a disaster occur. The only people not covered are the players on the field, if i get get a skelp or a broken arm,i am not covered...end quote. Must admit i did not understand that last part myself, surely every club player is insured and presumably the County are required to insure the personell involved with County teams.

Gnevin

It was on before i missed the start of it both times  >:(
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

armaghniac

Interesting that you Down folk were so happy with the interview, he said the population of Ireland was 3.5 or 4 million, which suggested that he was talking about the 26 counties only. Why exclude the 6 counties, is is that hurling is less popular there?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

The foremost exponent of hurling in history, at least until "26 County" Carey came along, was an Armagh man. :)

Guillem2

Missed the programme but I was talking to a fella in the club today who saw it. Good show by all accounts. Knowing BBC it will be repeated often.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

lynchbhoy

missed the prog

as it was the bbc - did they use the opportunity to show gratuitous GAA on the pitch violence (usually an Antrim club match)

As for insurance, you will get some of the bills back and there is some kind of compo for loss of earnings, but usually so difficult to
follow up and get from the insurance company, and you get so little - its hardly worth following up.

if a player is that badly hurt, clubs generally rund benefit nights

the insurance you get is worth damn all - at least it was about 4/5 years ago.
Maybe it has improved since.

bignifanatic

Was Christy Ring an Armagh man?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Erm i think he was referring to the hound of ULSTER you wingnut!!! :-*

armaghniac

Well sure its hardly worth arguing about Cuchulainn or Ring, it's all ancient history of little relevance to the present day, like a successful Down football team.

Rossfan

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 17, 2006, 11:04:37 PM
CuChulainn is a bit like Armagh hurling. No one is quite sure wether he/it exists at all  :)
CuChulainn doesnt have 8 All Ireland medals unlike "The foremost exponent of hurling in history" Christy Ring
Wasnt Cúchulainn from Louth ??? ;D
By the way bigfanatic - Cúchulainn means Hound of Culann.
Hound of Ulster would be Cú Uladh.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

QuoteWasnt Cúchulainn from Louth

Sure what is Louth only an appendage of Armagh. In any case Cúchulainn was born in Meath, lived a few years in Louth and became a man of Macha at the age of 5.

Guillem2

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Big Mac

Very tenuous link from Armagh man there. But sure what would you expect. In any case Cú Chulainn (if the Armagh man knew anything of Gaelic games history) would have been more familiar with camánaíocht than iománaíocht...

Another point, why does everyone go straight for Christy Ring? What about John Doyle, Jim Smyth, Lory Meagher, Mick Mackey, the Rackards. Great exponents of the game.

And to haul DJ up on that point... catch youself on you eejit.
We claw with our fingernails for that inch...