The biggest overachievers - players - Hurling & Football

Started by Stranworst, May 29, 2007, 07:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteGavin Devlin won 2 AI medals without kickin a ball...fist fist fist!

Matt Gallagher never kicked the ball in the 1992 final either I believe but did a huge job for the whingers.

hairyhog

Dinky McBride
Benny Tierney
Sean Teague(sorry Zigs)

thebandit

In terms of natural talent, McGeeney is an overachiever. He has dedicated his life to football. As he says himself his brother Pat was a more talented footballer.

This is not a slant on one of the great captains of Gaelic Football, instead this is to his credit.

stpauls

bandit,

i would agree with you there, with regards to his natural footballing talent, but for Slim to say that the Cross contigent carried the Armagh squad to the All-Ireland title, even if he was fishing, is a load of oul cobblers!!

magpie seanie

McGeeney cannot be classed as an overachiever as his level of performance was generally very good. Natural talent has not much to do with it really, its level of performance/effectiveness and certainly by no stretch could McGeeney be deemed to have over achieved.

Billys Boots

Uladh, did you know that Mícheal Magill won an All-Star in 1994?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

illdecide

Peter Canavan, maybe he didn't over achieve. He just was in the wrong sport, does swimming pools and diving boards spring to mind (no pun intended) ;) :D :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Billys Boots

The Down lads aren't concentrating too well today so, Dr. U!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

man in black

'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

heganboy

O cinneide and paddy mckeever?
I played with one and against the other. O cinneide played one of the most amazing one man shows for mary immaculata I have ever seen in 30 years of watching football.
Paddy mc keever has one of the best left feet I have ever seen, and is one of a samll number of forwards that actually beats his man to score regularly
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Stranworst

mouview

Football? Hmm... a lot of the Armagh team in '02 were limited enough; only for Kerry fell off the bike in the latter stages... (Don't get me wrong, I was there and was ecstatic that the Orchard county won). Also Dara O'Cinneide, Trevor Giles.

Hurling? A shame that Cork and KK have had no real, concerted opposition in recent years, allowing them to pick up AI's after playing only 1 or 2 tough games - not their fault the opposition was so poor in fairness. Clare made the most of their limited ability and their core of quality players 95 - 97. Individually, Sean O'Hailpin.

greygoose

Quote from: man in black on May 30, 2007, 02:47:54 PM
Ross Carr Down
Damian Barton Derry

Man In Black...
You have not a clue if you think Ross Carr Under Achieved.. Catch yourself on... Maybe you need to dig into your video archive and replay the point he scored against Derry in Armagh in 1991 to bring the match to a replay, hardly the sign of an over achiever.