The biggest underachievers - players - Hurling & Football

Started by North Antrim, May 29, 2007, 10:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Quote from: ONeill on May 30, 2007, 08:01:37 AM
Gavin Devlin? No way did he underachieve. If anything, he'd be veering towards the overachievement thread. I liked Devlin's style, but he definitely wasn't blessed with the talent of many of his peers. In 2003 he made the most of what he did have. A bit like Ray Silke.

Under/over, you know what i meant O'Neill
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

anglocelt39

As some of my fellow county men said, you could have a separate Cavan section for this, they've already identified some of the usual suspects. Drilling down to the next level;

Aidan Connolly;
Darrly McConnell-CHB on an(other) so near and yet so far minor team that included a few names already mentioned. Sigerson for UCG, disappeared;
John McCabe (Munchies)-captained minors the same year that we almost against Tyrone etc. etc. not heard of since that I know of;
We have a bit of a habit of throwing up under 17 Aussie tourists that promise lots and disappoint for whatever reasons, back in the distant 90's there was a lad from West Cavan went on one of the tours (Corrigan?)-never heard from again that I know of;
One or two of our more recent Aussie tourists might be in this list if we revisit in a year or two's time, hopefully not, same goes for one or two of the current senior panel who are struggling a bit to justify reputations;
Larry Reilly-first time I saw the lad in action was in Under 21 final in 96 as a relatively junior member of the panel-get the ball, skin his man with blinding pace, knock it over the bar-simple. This guy could be one of the best we've ever produced I thought. Unfortunately developed bad habits over the years, probably in part due to being a very big fish in a small pond at club level and developing a go it alone attitude.

Unfortunately we do not have too many over-achievers. Would nominate Pierce McKenna-was pretty average to start with, we stuck with him and he developed into a more than useful inter-county midfielder. Awful pity he gave it away.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Hollow Man

McConnell - living in Liverpool, transferred to a club therte this year. Won promotion for Drumlane singlehandedly last year

McCabe - playing club football for M'connact, was never that good, struggled with weight I think. Only reason he was on that minor team was that Tony Brady was manager and the whole Castlerahan/Munchies/St Marys connection

Sean Corrigan - he actually captained that U17 team would you believe. Hasnt been  heard tell of

Add to the mix Martin Donohoe - saw him getting ROASTED for Crosserlough juniors 2 years ago. Serious fielder though that's all anymore

How about Adrian Crossan - came on at half time in an U16 final v Killygarry for Drumgoon (didnt start due to injury). They threw him in full forward and he got 3-5 on one leg. Blinding pace - just disappeared!

Also Richie Graham, James Kiernan, JAMES CLARKE (minor player of the year!)

Eamon Costello never improved, like Walsh he was probably better at 16 than now

Shane Reilly from Knockbride was as good an Under 16 as I saw in a long time

Ryan McCormack was another - scored 4-9 in a minor champ semi v Garrymore Gaels, now he's shit for a shit Kingscourt team

There are a lot more too.

TERRY FARRELLY - as good as McCabe imo. Could still be doing the business for us at full back

BallyhaiseMan

Jaysus
Richie Graham was some player alright,The best player on a superstar Gaels Minor team that won the Ulster Club right?
he just disappeared like that.Looked like a certain county star.
Another Gaels player,a superstar at underage level, a lad called Alan Coyle,used to average 8-10 points per game for them,where is he now?

Sean Corrigan plays now and again for Templeport i believe.

Eamon Costello scored 4 beautiful points from play last night for us against Drumalee.
He has had to put up with a lot in life over the last few years with the death of his parents.
I wouldnt right him off as a county regular in the near future.

Adrian Crossan to be fair is playing great stuff for drumgoon now at wing back.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 01, 2007, 12:50:36 PM
Jaysus
Richie Graham was some player alright,The best player on a superstar Gaels Minor team that won the Ulster Club right?
he just disappeared like that.Looked like a certain county star. ------ had problems after a leg operation lucky he didn't loose itAnother Gaels player,a superstar at underage level, a lad called Alan Coyle,used to average 8-10 points per game for them,where is he now?  took to the soup a waste of a great talent

mannix

Mayo football, all the provincial titles and only 3 sams for them.Massive underachievers.

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8