Square Ball rule

Started by Hardy, May 28, 2007, 03:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenmachine

this could turn into another argument for the use of a third umpire who uses television replays to determine whether it is a square ball or not...only one or two replays of yesterdays goal would have been conclusive and the apple eaters would still be gunning for the ulster title...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

orangeman

Hearty filled them - he saw Kevin Cassidy out of the side of his eye and dropped it - simple -

never kickt a ball

Only the GAA can do it. They turn a round ball into a square ball, a 50 into a 45 and the best of all they throw a hop ball in the air  :D

neutral

Sunday was not Armaghs day - unluckily for them. I believe that theres probaly a certain amout of Karma in that decision as payback for all the titles Armagh shouldnt have won over the years,  Does anybody else here remember the knavery of the 2005 Ulster final replay and the 2003 All Ireland semi- a game infamous for the Mc Entee elbow charge.   If ever there was a square ball Sundays was it - but Hearty still filled the Togs and Goalies are basically meant to be brave. 

orangeman

My sentiments exacyly Neutral - Hearty filled them - but did you ever see Kevin Cassidy close up ? He's scary looking.

Hardy

Lads - just to clarify - I started this thread as a discussion on the square ball rule and whether it's time to review or scrap it. I took the discussuion off the Armagh v. Donegal thread for that purpose. The question of the contents of Hearty's shorts or whether Sunday's goal should stand is neither here nor there in this discussion.

Does every thread have to become a discussion about Armagh?

AZOffaly

QuoteDoes every thread have to become a discussion about Armagh?

Don't be silly Hardy.

Some of them are about Tyrone.

Datsun Donaghy

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

QuoteDoes every thread have to become a discussion about Armagh?
[/color]

What are you on???  Of course they shouldn't all become a discussion about Armagh - they should only be about ARMAGH!!!!!!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

J70

Quote from: screenmachine on May 28, 2007, 09:50:15 PM
this could turn into another argument for the use of a third umpire who uses television replays to determine whether it is a square ball or not...only one or two replays of yesterdays goal would have been conclusive and the apple eaters would still be gunning for the ulster title...

The only singularly conclusive camera angle would be from directly above, and that is not exactly practical. Otherwise you'll have to give umpires a minute or three to pour over several camera angles to tell for sure. I couldn't even tell for sure from the angles I've seen from RTE - from behind the goal, it looks like Cassidy was in the square, but even from that angle its not totally clear if he entered the square before the ball, which was still very high in the air when it crossed the line. You'd nearly need Sky Sports' computer capabilites to make a conclusive evaluation (assuming their system is water-tight, obviously!).

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not necessarily J70, it was proven on the Sunday Game that Cassidy was indeed in the small square before the ball, from an oblique angle but, critically, capturing both the height and relative position of the ball and Cassidy's position in the same frame. Not that much to pore over I'd say for the e-Umpire  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 30, 2007, 11:48:31 PM
Not necessarily J70, it was proven on the Sunday Game that Cassidy was indeed in the small square before the ball, from an oblique angle but, critically, capturing both the height and relative position of the ball and Cassidy's position in the same frame. Not that much to pore over I'd say for the e-Umpire  ;)

I don't get to see the Sunday Game. Must have been some angle to be able to make a conclusive judgement on when the ball crossed the 6-yard line and the side line of the square and get Cassidy in the picture too!

Minus15

In my opinion talk about the introduction of a video umpire is extremely nonsensical. If a solution is to be found it needs to be applicable across all grades and levels of football. It is obvious that leaving the decision on whether to rule a square ball or not to the referee is far from ideal as the referee will be too far away. In truth, from my own experience it is a complete lottery when the ball goes into the square and, being a defender, just hope the decision goes my way. If it doesn't then I know there is little point in arguing because I don't even know myself.

My feelings on what could be done are that a rule should be brought in stating that if the attacking player is static  in the square at any time prior to the ball arriving in the square then it should be deemed square ball. If a player has run in and is on teh move when the ball arrives then there should't be a problem. If a player challenges a goalkeeper from a standing start this too should be deemed a square ball. Surely both referees and umpires would be able to make decisions if these were the rules. What do you think of this?

Pangurban

Bollocks-----Umpires are allowed to indicate a square ball and are expected to do so. The referee has of course the power to over-rule following consultation with both Umpires.
Bollocks-----Donegals goal was not a square ball as the Donegal player who may or may not have been in the square, made no contact with ball or goalkeeper

DWAL

My dad was talking to a Donegal man in at work last Tuesday and he said there wasn't the same complaining when McGrane took ten steps before scoring the goal in last years Ulster Final.

J70

Quote from: DWAL on June 01, 2007, 12:24:33 AM
My dad was talking to a Donegal man in at work last Tuesday and he said there wasn't the same complaining when McGrane took ten steps before scoring the goal in last years Ulster Final.

True, but to be fair most of the Armagh lads here (and Joe Kernan and the team) took their beating with dignity. I guess they figured we got the rub of the green this time when they might have in other matches, such as last year's. They also seem to be relieved and filled with optimism too after their team's performance, forwards notwithstanding. Maybe that's all put them in a generous mood!

I've actually seen much worse bitching about referees from them in other years when Armagh beat us!

The steps thing seems to be similar to the square ball though in that it is very patchily enforced. How many did that Galway lad take against Mayo the other week before scoring the second goal?