Square Ball rule

Started by Hardy, May 28, 2007, 03:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

The issue of the square ball rule has arisen on the Donegal v. Armagh thread. Martin McHugh said on TV the rule should be dropped. I'd agree on the basis that it's impossible to determine accurately whether a forward is in the square before the ball, particularly when the ball is coming from one direction, in the air and the forward is coming from the other.

However, I think you'd have to have some rule to prevent goal-hanging and the clogging up of the goalmouth.  I suggested considering making the small square a total exclusion zone for forwards, but Tacadoir Ard Mhacha rightly pointed out that it would be unreasonable to prevent a forward from netting a ball spilled by the goalie.

What do people think? Is the rule OK as it stands or should it be dropped and, if so, what, if anything should replace it?

Star Spangler

Part of the problem is that the umpires seem reluctant to rule a square ball.  Yes, it is difficult to call if you're not watching for it but surely that's what the umpires should be doing.  There's no way the umpires at yesterdays game couldn't call it.  They just don't want the responsibility.

Billys Boots

QuoteI think you'd have to have some rule to prevent goal-hanging and the clogging up of the goalmouth.

Jaysus, you'll have the armagh-folk calling for the banning of kidney punches next.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

armaghniac

One alternative to the present rule would be to allow an opposing player enter the square after
1. the ball had been handled by a defender/goalie
2. the ball had touched the ground in the square
3. the ball had hit the woodwork

these would be easier to assess than a ball high in the air
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

aontroim abu

Spangler you need to get your facts straight - upmires dont give square balls, refs do. Even at the Ulster Council umipres course 2 weeks ago (yes such a thing exists) umpires were instructed not to signal squar balls. in the refs handbook it goes through the role of all the officials including the umpire, and it clearly states that umpires are NOT to signal square balls. So its time to get off their backs McHugh and co

Square Ball

Is it within the umpires remit to call a square ball? In fact what are umpires allowed to call on?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ONeill

Yes, square balls rule!

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Square Ball on May 28, 2007, 04:00:42 PM
Is it within the umpires remit to call a square ball? In fact what are umpires allowed to call on?

from the 2004 referees handbook

see point 12

AZOffaly

It's nigh on impossible to judge that as a referee who is about 40 yards away like yesterday. Even if you are right beside it it is nearly impossible unless the ball is coming in very low. A big long hanging kick like yesterdays is just a pure guess, from the forward's point of view as well.....

However getting rid of the rule would be anarchy. Lads like Kieran Donaghy would just camp out on the goal-line. I like the amendment to Hardy's 'exclusion zone' rule. Forwards are only allowed in the small square if a defender or goalkeeper has touched the ball in there, or if the ball has come off the post.

The only thing is I can see a scenario where we are trying to see did a lad cross the line before the ball was touched or afterwards. You might end up with the same amount of contentious decisions.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Star Spangler

QuoteSpangler you need to get your facts straight - upmires dont give square balls, refs do.
Well that's clearly where the problem is.  When a ball comes into the square from 40 yards you can be sure the ref is at least 40 yards away.  There's no way he can judge a square ball.

David McKeown

Ahh the guidelines condradict themselves there.  I was always of the opinion that upires could not signal technical infrimgements, however the guidelines and the rule book both stated bring to the attention of the referee any instances of foul play.  A technical infringement such as square bball is in the rule book foul play.  This is a mattered that really needs to be addressed.  I think to that players should be allowed to run in whilst either they or the team mate (whos already in the small sqaure) are in possesion of the ball.  Apart from that I like Armaghniac suggestion
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ExiledGael

Nickey Brennan criticised those judging our games on TV a few weeks ago and said if the TV companies requested he would be happy to send in GAA experts to explain the rules situation on TV.
Would love to hear their views on this matter, as it's very complicated

A lot of these slightly grey areas emerge each summer, like the Donegal player re-entering the field after injury to thump the Fermanagh player last year, it would be good to hear the official line on these matters

Personally I think the goal should not have stood

The Claw

If they do chance the rule, i hope they realise that it is essential that the riules stays in hurling. Too often hurling rules are changed due to problems in football.

johnpower

No doubt it was a square ball yesterday but the ref missed it ., still the keeper dropped it . Hearty is a big man and messed up . Armagh were the better team and deserved at least a draw.All the talk of chaning rules is non sense .