O'Mahony elected - What now for Mayo?

Started by Barney, May 26, 2007, 09:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: intoDwest on May 29, 2007, 03:44:35 PM

In the last three years he wouldn't take the job but sat on the sidelines making suggestion in the western and other media outlets undermining the people in charge. But low and behold there is an election coming then he take the mayo job ,and then allows himself to be nominated as a FG candidate for election. At this point you would think that the county board would do something about it but no....................we have a situation that Prenty is his director of elections and men like Goonan and Feeney going around canvassing for him. These people are using Mayo GAA for there own personal gain. I would love to know what Micky Moran thinks of the whole setup, it stinks in my opinion. Sport and politics should not mix and shame on the county board and JOM for doing that.

Seems to be the case, and well put. It was mentioned to me in '04 that the Mayo County Board was a De Facto extension of the Mayo Branch of FG and I rubbished the claim, until I looked into it

StoneWall

The county board chairman also has strong Fine Gael ties and was on the canvass trail!

OirthearMhaigheo

But low and behold there is an election coming then he take the mayo job ,and then allows himself to be nominated as a FG candidate for election.

IntoDwest, you make some fair points but the one above is not one of them. He was asked and in turn decided to run for FG before the Mayo Managers job was accepted. I can see why people are going to be cynical about it all but Johnno has stated he will remain in the job and that is good enough for me. I think some people on the board are actually the ones mixing sport and politics as there is alot of anti-FG stuff being said and they in turn are turning on Johnno. I personally don't care what party he belongs to or what he does to earn a living, that's his business. He has said that he is in this for the long term, he should be taken at his word and hopefully he will deliver what we all want. He had to be swamped in the last few weeks between campaigning and getting ready for Galway. I really believe he will have more time now and hopefully we will win a couple of games in the qualifiers, get the show back on the road, and end this politics shite talk once and for all.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on May 30, 2007, 09:35:54 AM
But low and behold there is an election coming then he take the mayo job ,and then allows himself to be nominated as a FG candidate for election.

IntoDwest, you make some fair points but the one above is not one of them. He was asked and in turn decided to run for FG before the Mayo Managers job was accepted. I can see why people are going to be cynical about it all but Johnno has stated he will remain in the job and that is good enough for me. I think some people on the board are actually the ones mixing sport and politics as there is alot of anti-FG stuff being said and they in turn are turning on Johnno. I personally don't care what party he belongs to or what he does to earn a living, that's his business. He has said that he is in this for the long term, he should be taken at his word and hopefully he will deliver what we all want. He had to be swamped in the last few weeks between campaigning and getting ready for Galway. I really believe he will have more time now and hopefully we will win a couple of games in the qualifiers, get the show back on the road, and end this politics shite talk once and for all.
He was asked to take the mayo job in 2005 but turned it down. what happened between then and 2006 when he decided to take the job was that he got the fg nomination.Like you said Oirthear its all over now so lets hope he can give 100% to the football and get the show back on the road.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stephenite

I'm all for leaving politics out of it, but when you have the full compliment of "Top" Mayo GAA officials running around canvassing for FG along with that uber p***k Sean Feeney stating live on National Radio that the GAA is "also a political organisation" than the question has to be asked, who is running Mayo GAA, Fine Gael or the GAA ??

And I'm not anti-Fine Gael at all

Hardy

Quote from: stephenite on May 30, 2007, 10:51:45 AM
the question has to be asked, who is running Mayo GAA, Fine Gael or the GAA ??

I always thought it was David Brady?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on May 30, 2007, 11:17:00 AM
Quote from: stephenite on May 30, 2007, 10:51:45 AM
the question has to be asked, who is running Mayo GAA, Fine Gael or the GAA ??

Aren't you the right funny lad hardy  :) :)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

StoneWall

Quote from: Hardy on May 30, 2007, 11:17:00 AM

David Brady has enough to be doing... :D :D :D

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story.asp?j=36952&cat=news

AFTER a night of glitz and glamour in Ballina on Friday night last, Fallon McShea walked away with the highly coveted Miss Mayo 2007 title.

The Claremorris native was selected from a total of fifteen entrants who took part in the Miss Mayo Final held in the Ridgepool Hotel, Ballina in aid of Mayo/Roscommon Hospice.

After a nail-biting interval when judges Lynda Duffy, Deirdre Clarke and David Brady retired to make their decision, Fallon was crowned this year's title holder and will now go on to participate in Miss Ireland in the Silver Springs in Cork on June 30.

IolarCoisCuain

I think fellas could be getting a bit carried away here.

When Johnno was in the wilderness the story was that the Board hated the sight of him. Now people are posting that the Board are his best buddies, that they were all out on the stump for him, and the County Board is actually a de facto extra cumann of Fine Gael? Both stories can't be true, you know. And a that was then, this is now argument won't work because I believe the same bucks have been on the Board since Old God's time, if not before.

The absence of any game for so long is starting to give people cabin fever, like poor Jack Nicholson in that movie long ago. I'd advise people to simply sit back, enjoy watching Meath and Dublin larrup the living Jesus out of each other this Sunday, and get the family holiday out of the way now before hostilities begin again in July. We'll worry about how things are looking then, but not before. Take it easy. Buy an Eagles record. ;)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 30, 2007, 11:26:34 AM
I think fellas could be getting a bit carried away here.

When Johnno was in the wilderness the story was that the Board hated the sight of him. Now people are posting that the Board are his best buddies, that they were all out on the stump for him, and the County Board is actually a de facto extra cumann of Fine Gael? Both stories can't be true, you know. And a that was then, this is now argument won't work because I believe the same bucks have been on the Board since Old God's time, if not before.

The absence of any game for so long is starting to give people cabin fever, like poor Jack Nicholson in that movie long ago. I'd advise people to simply sit back, enjoy watching Meath and Dublin larrup the living Jesus out of each other this Sunday, and get the family holiday out of the way now before hostilities begin again in July. We'll worry about how things are looking then, but not before. Take it easy. Buy an Eagles record. ;)
you get my vote Iolarcoiscuain ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Billys Boots

QuoteBuy an Eagles record.

It was all going so well up to that point.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

StoneWall

Sean Feeney has just released a statement saying that Mayo are going to wear blue shirts for the next three years :P

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 30, 2007, 11:35:38 AM

It was all going so well up to that point.  :P

Ah don't be like that Billy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd9WBhum_oc

Woo hoo hoo... woo hoo hoo ..... wooo hooo hooo... Groovy.  ;D

Billys Boots

I've just had a nasty flashback to Barton's buses in the 1980s.  :-\
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

In the words of The Dude - "I hate the f'n Eagles".