O'Mahony elected - What now for Mayo?

Started by Barney, May 26, 2007, 09:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Its hard to see where his time for training a team will come from.He will be in dublin tuesday to thursday,that take tuesday and thursday out for training and team talks.Maybe the weekend is all he will have, I believe Mayo were totally unfocussed for galway and the election probably had abearing on that.
Expect Mayo to get  to a semi or final ,win or lose, he will walk away after that stating personal reasons.

MacDanger

Are you kidding??

Being a TD is possibly the easiest job in the country. It only sits 3 days a week, it takes holidays from June til late Sept, another two months at Christmas and another month at Easter. And you don't even have to attend if you don't want to. It'll have no effect on his job as Mayo manager, Many managers and players actually do proper jobs and still have time for it. At leats now he'll have the time to concentrate on Mayo and leave worrying about the Dail until they reconvene next Sept.

muppet

Barney didn't notice your return till now, welcome back to your spiritual home.

Personally I see no reason for Johnno's resignation.
MWWSI 2017

northsideboy

Which do you think is worth more, his expenses as Mayo manager or as a T.D. for Mayo?? On a completly unrelated note and indeed non GAA note, it was interesting to see the failure of the 'Support the Rossport Luddites 'candidates in Mayo.

muppet

Quoteit was interesting to see the failure of the 'Support the Rossport Luddites 'candidates in Mayo.

You could look at it that way. Or you could point to the fact that when Ray Burke gave away 1/2 a Billion's Euros worth of natural gas for free Fianna Fáil had 4 seats in Mayo, now they have just 1.
MWWSI 2017

OirthearMhaigheo

Can't see any major reason why Johnno will have to resign. As many have already said, it is not a very time-consuming job, and he will have the summer off. Yes being in Dublin 3 days a week looks like a problem but the fact that he is a TD with the opposition means he will have feck all to do, I doubt he will be required to attend all 3 days although I have to admit I don't know too much about the daily tasks of a TD. I think he'll be able to do the 2 jobs alright, he will have more free time than plenty of other managers!

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: northsideboy on May 27, 2007, 10:22:54 PM
On a completly unrelated note and indeed non GAA note, it was interesting to see the failure of the 'Support the Rossport Luddites 'candidates in Mayo.

What candidates were they? I don't think any of the candidates supported the Shell to Sea campaign - Crowley did for a while, but backed down in February when certain elements appeared to highjack the campaign for their own ends. But hey - what have you been up to lately Northsideboy?  ;)

guy crouchback

despite what some here might think being a TD is a very very time consuming job. I think Johhno will finish out this season and after that resign.

Hardy

O'Mahony was on the radio this morning saying he was keeping both jobs. Sorry - both his job and his hobby.

Quote from: INDIANA on May 26, 2007, 05:49:49 PM
tonly dempsey had to pack it in he said it was impossible to do the two.

Sometimes it's just too hard to resist a cheap shot ... Tony Dempsey seemed to find it impossible to do either.

Barney

From the Mayo News. No new coronation required this year

QuoteNEWLY elected TD for Mayo, John O'Mahony, has reiterated that his ascension to the Daíl will not mean any change for his planned three-year term as Mayo manager.
"Long-term my position as Mayo manager was never an issue regardless of how I did," he told The Mayo News last night. "It's about working out a good sense of time management and I intend to do that.
"I would have discussed this possibility with the Fine Gael party and with headquarters. I'm amazed the question has been asked so many times since I was elected. It would be a silly thing to step down. The people of Mayo want this [him managing Mayo]," said O'Mahony who agreed a three year term last December.
The 53 year old Kilmovee native didn't take long to take off his political cap and put on his football one last weekend. While he was in the TF Hotel at the election count until the early hours of Saturday morning, he was present in Balla later that evening to watch the Mayo Intermediate championship clash between Davitts and Mayo Gaels. He was also on his home patch of Ballaghaderreen on Sunday where his local club beat Shrule/Glencorrib.
"We'd be keeping on eye on those who are in the panel and then anyone who jumps out after that," he admitted. "We've another round of championship games at club level to look at players and a league round this weekend. We hope to use these games to show lads that if they are putting it in they have the chance to show us in these games if they deserve a go. Maybe not in the short-term in every case but certainly in the long-term."
The Mayo squad are back training tonight (Tuesday) after being released to train with their clubs in advance of the championship last weekend. O'Mahony and Mayo did meet last Monday however to discuss their season in light of the Galway defeat.
"The mood last Monday was like any team. Once defeated you are bitterly disappointed but the way we have to look at it is that in seven weeks we have another chance. In the old system we would have to wait 12 months for that chance to come around. Everyone knows we're not as bad as we showed in Pearse Stadium but it is up to us as a management, as a county board and as a squad to prove that.
"I think the seven week break is actually a help," he added. "I know that in the past, from speaking to other managers who would be out just a week after losing, that sometimes a gap is no harm. It's a pity we don't know yet who we are playing though."

GalwaySham

QuoteWhat candidates were they? I don't think any of the candidates supported the Shell to Sea campaign - Crowley did for a while, but backed down in February when certain elements appeared to highjack the campaign for their own ends. But hey - what have you been up to lately Northsideboy? 

Jerry Cowley & Gerry Murray were both very supportive of the protesters. Not sure about the others

rosnarun

QuoteAt last, O'Mahony will have to give a proper answer on this. Politics and sport don't mix...

Is that why Mayo was the only county in ireland the blueshirts chose red and green for their election poster. O mahany allowed himself and his position to br used disgracefully. but i suppose he got what he wanted I mean whoos worried about a connacht chapionship any when he has a chance to get his snout in the trough
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

intoDwest

I wouldn't always agree with a lot Rosnarun would always say but in this instance I agree totally with him. I know I'm not a fan of the county board but there are serious questions that have to be answered. I have always wanted JOM in charge of the county side ( I have stated that on a number of occasions on this board), that was until I new he was going to run for office.

In the last three years he wouldn't take the job but sat on the sidelines making suggestion in the western and other media outlets undermining the people in charge. But low and behold there is an election coming then he take the mayo job ,and then allows himself to be nominated as a FG candidate for election. At this point you would think that the county board would do something about it but no....................we have a situation that Prenty is his director of elections and men like Goonan and Feeney going around canvassing for him. These people are using Mayo GAA for there own personal gain. I would love to know what Micky Moran thinks of the whole setup, it stinks in my opinion. Sport and politics should not mix and shame on the county board and JOM for doing that.

I'll love to see what happens when the county board goes looking for some of it annual donations, they might get a surprise or two.

Barney

IntoDwest, there may be something in what you say but I think JOM has been committed to the job, just got sidetracked in the weeks coming up to the Galway game and probably realised that the balancing act was not possible during the course of a campaign. Sadly the football suffered, although even on our best day we had a 50/50 chance only.

Remember he was nominated for FG before Mayo, and politically could not have turned down the job.

StoneWall

Quote from: Barney on May 29, 2007, 06:19:41 PM
and politically could not have turned down the job.

Exactly why sport and politics shouldn't mix!