O'Mahony elected - What now for Mayo?

Started by Barney, May 26, 2007, 09:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Well done to JOM for being elected, getting votes all over the place.

I am not saying he should be replaced in Mayo, or that he should step down but what is likely to happen.

It is probably accepted that a dual accomodation was reached last October when the County Board needed JOM, and he need to the GAA.

The same attention to detail with which he is credited and focus were very obviously missing for the Galway game. That is understandable in the midst of an election.

But now that he will be working in Dublin on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday most weeks, and running clinics in Mayo will he decide to continue, and if so how will his capability to do the big job that is required be affected?

the Deel Rover

i was thinking about this as well Barney when i heard the result. I don't think it will be possible for him to give his full commitment to both jobs, so i think that whenever mayo exit the championship that will be it Johno will be gone.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thejuice

Anyone know how Graham Geraghty got on.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on May 26, 2007, 09:22:14 AM
But now that he will be working in Dublin on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday most weeks, and running clinics in Mayo will he decide to continue, and if so how will his capability to do the big job that is required be affected?

Hard to know how it will affect his ability to do the most important job, Tony Dempsey was Wexford manager when he was first elected to the Dail, think he only stayed on as boss for a short while longer.
Johnno has repeatedly alluded his three years, now he was hardly going to say anything during an election campaign to the contrary but the cynic in me says he'll not be Mayo manager this time next year. Another part of me trusts this man implicitly and that he'll stay for the full three years

Time will tell

prewtna

is it true? (sorry im abroad!)

ah if it is then mayo are screwed. do the honorable thing johno - resign the dail seat!  ;) the way things r shaping tho i dont think he'll be tainiste!

what would be better for mayo, an all-ireland win or a taoseach and tainiste from mayo?

i know what id take.

Farrandeelin

At last, O'Mahony will have to give a proper answer on this. Politics and sport don't mix...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Redgreenery

But sure dont the dail take a summer break?? So during the summer JOM wont be working that much.

Rossfan

That makes three FG TD's now in Co Roscommon ::)
I'd better buy a Blue Shirt.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

should resign with immeadite effect.
Unlike some here i really rate him as a manager - he's won with limited talent and exceptional talent. the sign of  areally good manager
BUt there is no way you can do the two jobs well- not a hope and that was seen in the first game against galway.
tonly dempsey had to pack it in he said it was impossible to do the two.

deiseach

His job is being a TD. His hobby is coaching Mayo. Shouldn't be a problem.

Right?

ildanach

I think the dail is an ideal job to have. Sure they work less time than any job i know, sitting for roughly 100 days yearly. His clinics will be run in mayo so i can not see it really interfering with his main job!!!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

armagh leg-end

Ard Mhacha Abu

Duine Eile

bigpaul

That's it, he will have less time on his hands now! Teachers have more time off than everybone else !!!!