Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

I believe there was more than that hardy, I could be wrong though?

corn02

By the way forget the square ball on Sunday what about the throw ball by the player who passed to Devenney? :P

holylandsniper

QuoteThere was only one Minor Championship game last night.  St Peter's and Tir na nOg and I don't think there was any county players involved.
The 1st round of the MFC takes place next Monday night.
Not sure on championship, but league games were played  with county players.

balladmaker

With Armagh now in the qualifiers, and having got over the defeat of Sunday past, I couldn't believe it when I read that the first round of qualifiers is not until July 7th. 

That is some lay off for Armagh, which might not be a bad thing considering the injury situation.  However, if memory serves me right, the games in the qualifiers will come thick and fast in July (assuming we continue to win of course).  Sunday may have been a blessing in disguise.  I have always thought that another Ulster would serve no purpose for Armagh.  Yes, it would be great to be still in the Ulster Championship, but come August and the Q/Finals, if Armagh are still in the hunt.....last Sunday will have been irrelevant.

holylandsniper

With such a long time until the Qualifiers would a few rounds of the club championship now be played before Armaghs next game.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

For once a Kerryman talking a bit of sense.

Some comments from Jack O'Connor, Kerry:

In a strange way the result from Ballybofey on Sunday could be a positive for both teams.

Armagh don't need another Ulster championship. In fact, Stephen McDonnell has admitted he knows well where his Celtic Cross is, but he isn't too sure about the Ulster medals. They can take a lot of heart from Sunday.

By any objective analysis they were the better team. They have a system which means they will be hard to beat. When Ronan Clarke and Brian Mallon come back they will be a handful for anyone.

For Donegal the result was everything. They were fortuitous, but they stuck with it in the face of Armagh's relentless tackling. They need to settle their forward line, though, and getting Brendan Devenney back is crucial to them.

They tried to run the ball through Armagh on Sunday and that was playing into their hands or in most cases their bodies. Armagh have so much gym work done they are going around looking for fellas to bounce off. Why give them the opportunity? To beat Armagh you have to kick the ball.

And when you do you have to have fellas inside who show over and back relentlessly for that ball. That's the key. The irony is that on one of the few times they kicked the ball in Donegal got the vital goal.

When Armagh sit down to think of it this week they will wonder what was the big deal about coming through the battlefield of Ulster anyway. They have a few injuries. They've six weeks to the qualifiers.

They can work under the radar. Get men back. It will work well. The nearest they came to getting their second All-Ireland was being beaten in Ulster by Monaghan in 2003.

Winning an All-Ireland is about coming good at the right time. It's a long year. You want to time your form for quarter-final time onwards. A nice draw in the first round of the qualifiers and Armagh will be serious.

People forget that last year against Kerry they played great football and we only put them away for good when we got a breakaway goal from Darren O'Sullivan. Anyone who thinks that Armagh are gone away are mistaken. The question that Armagh's situation creates is with a championship only starting at the quarter-final stage is it worth winning a provincial championship anymore?

I would guess within five years we will have a different championship format, something along Champions League lines. I know the GAA hate copying other codes, but if it makes the product more attractive and exciting to hell with the begrudgers.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Orchard Warrior

There's no doubt that looking at the draw from a long way out, and given Armagh's recent history, the back door offered the most realistic route to the all ireland semis.

The performance in Ballyboffey rather than the result should give everyone involved the reassurance needed, and maybe that was necessary, that Armagh can still beat anyone in the championship if they play.

twotwocharlie

believe me armagh will improve. No one will want us in the back door draw.

bigpaul

Quote from: corn02 on May 28, 2007, 12:43:56 PM
I love the way on Orchard County they think Stephen was just super yesterday. Lay off Stephen he is one of us, you can not say bad things about an Armagh player.  ::)

There is probably more logic to the defence of Steven Kernan on 'orchardcounty' than there is to the criticism of him on this site!!!

Donagh

Personally thought it was a great game, played out pretty much as I expected. Armagh were dogged in defence but played some great running football at times. Donegal seemed to have lost their new found confidence when faced with the orange shirts and before the goal they never looked like winners, so they've still to prove their championship pedigree. They'll have a point to prove against Tymone and contrary to my previous prediction I'd expect them to win. Whether they have the discipline to take the Anglo Celt (from Derry ;)) I very much doubt, though I'll be supporting them all the way.

Joe seemed to got it half right with Donaghy and Toner but allowing S Kernan to last the seventy and bringing on Mackin beggars belief. Geezer and McGrane are still the men – was an absolute privilege at times to watch them pick balls out of the air. The only problem now will be to get competitive challenge games before the 7th.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Donagh on June 02, 2007, 12:18:21 AM
Personally thought it was a great game, played out pretty much as I expected. Armagh were dogged in defence but played some great running football at times. Donegal seemed to have lost their new found confidence when faced with the orange shirts and before the goal they never looked like winners, so they've still to prove their championship pedigree. They'll have a point to prove against Tymone and contrary to my previous prediction I'd expect them to win. Whether they have the discipline to take the Anglo Celt (from Derry ;)) I very much doubt, though I'll be supporting them all the way.

Joe seemed to got it half right with Donaghy and Toner but allowing S Kernan to last the seventy and bringing on Mackin beggars belief. Geezer and McGrane are still the men – was an absolute privilege at times to watch them pick balls out of the air. The only problem now will be to get competitive challenge games before the 7th.

Agree with everything you say Donagh, except the Derry thing, we'll take them as well!  ;)
Tbc....

Donagh

Hope you do Gwee. Noticed you didn't come back on Wednesday – shame...  ;)