Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrC

Some good news for the Donegal posters on here - just heard that the Donegal V Armagh Ulster Championship game on May 27th will be played at Sean MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey. The game was switched to Clones, but Donegal appealed and another vote was taken last night at an Ulster Council meeting where the decision went in favour of Donegal.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: MrC on April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM
Some good news for the Donegal posters on here - just heard that the Donegal V Armagh Ulster Championship game on May 27th will be played at Sean MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey. The game was switched to Clones, but Donegal appealed and another vote was taken last night at an Ulster Council meeting where the decision went in favour of Donegal.

That's a coup and a half for Donegal!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Donagh

The right decision. From the BBC:

----------------
----------------

Ballybofey to host Armagh clash

The venue for the Ulster SFC first round encounter between Donegal and Armagh has been changed back from Clones to Ballybofey.

The Donegal ground was originally scheduled to host the 27 May match but the Ulster Council switched it to Clones as it has a higher capacity.

Donegal officials said they were "disgusted" with the decision.

After a delegation from Donegal put their case to the Ulster Council, they will now host the match.

Donegal Chairman Sean Kelly was angered at the the original decision after substantial work had been done upgrading the MacCumhaill Park venue in Ballybofey.

The Ulster Council made the switch away from Ballybofey after Armagh requested around 17,000 tickets for the game - the capacity at MacCumhaill Park is around 18,500.

The Council also prefers that first round games are not made all-ticket, so that under-16s can get in free and family tickets can be made available at reduced prices.

But Donegal argued that the work done on the venue was based on being able to host major games like this one.

The Ulster final is returning to Clones and probably both semi-finals will be played at the venue.

Armagh ABÚ

I suppose its not all bad news as it is going to be shown live on TV.  Donegal think they are cursed against Armagh at Clones, so Armagh will have to work harder now also to prove they can beat Donegal anywhere in Ireland.

realredhandfan

Excellent news.  Hopefully this will mark the end of the everything neutral championship venues.  Hard to beat beating teams like Armagh etc on your home turf.   

J70

Marvellous news! Well done Sean Kelly!

illdecide

Quote from: realredhandfan on April 18, 2007, 11:43:03 AM
Excellent news.  Hopefully this will mark the end of the everything neutral championship venues.  Hard to beat beating teams like Armagh etc on your home turf.   

didn't think you were old enough to remember that stuff  ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Abble

Even though I'm an Armagh man I'm kind of glad its in Ballybofey now, the right decisions been made. Always wanted the game there and when I heard it was put in Clones I was slightly disappointed. Great town, should be a great weekend.

About time some championship is given back to the counties....why else are most counties pumping big money into bigger county grounds for now if they can't be used. It'll be a handlin getting tickets thats the only thing....but nothing like a cauldron atmosphere!!

continuity tug

the biggest and best fans in ireland will now have to scrap for tickets
bad move ulster council

armaghniac

Sad. Why prevent people going to GAA games?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ard mhaca abu

QuotePosted by: armaghniac 
Insert Quote
Sad. Why prevent people going to GAA games?

hae to agree there will be some scramble for tickets! ballybofey will never be able to hold the armagh support!

Estimator

Armagh "fans" didn't have to scramble for tickets for any of the National League games ???
Ulster League Champions 2009

ard mhaca abu

QuotePosted on: Today at 03:10:24 PMPosted by: Estimator 
Insert Quote
Armagh "fans" didn't have to scramble for tickets for any of the National League games 

thats cos the national league games werent all ticket!

Onlooker

Pity about the change of venue as I would probably have made it to Clones, but have no chance of getting to Ballybofey.

dec

the capacity at MacCumhaill Park is around 18,500.

The attendance at Clones would have been much higher than this. Thousands of people will be denied the opportunity to watch a Championship game in person.