2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2019, 08:45:56 PM
I’d say that it will be fine tuned over the winter. The result vs the Dubs was probably unexpected when the programme was being put together.
One can hope.

Even so, the schedule was knowingly set up with seven days between the Joe McDonagh Final and the Preliminary Quarter-Finals--with the knowledge that two battle-worn JMcD teams would be taking the pitch to meet two successful Leinster panels who were well-rested, locked and loaded.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Tony

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on July 15, 2019, 09:18:56 PM
I'd say that it will be fine tuned over the winter. The result vs the Dubs was probably unexpected when the programme was being put together.
One can hope.

Even so, the schedule was knowingly set up with seven days between the Joe McDonagh Final and the Preliminary Quarter-Finals--with the knowledge that two battle-worn JMcD teams would be taking the pitch to meet two successful Leinster panels who were well-rested, locked and loaded.
I see your point, Mossy, but I have to say, as a player, you want to be playing week in, week out, and it's my opinion that the regular games and week turnaround in fact helped Laois and our match sharpness. Most players love games every weekend as opposed to training. Also, a week is plenty of time to recover from a game the week before. We saw great momentum between the Joe Mc to the Dublin game to the Tipp game, we could easily have taken the energy out of it and over analysed had it have been 2-3 week break.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Tony on July 15, 2019, 10:49:03 PM
I'd say that it will be fine tuned over the winter. The result vs the Dubs was probably unexpected when the programme was being put together.
One can hope.

I see your point, Mossy, but I have to say, as a player, you want to be playing week in, week out, and it's my opinion that the regular games and week turnaround in fact helped Laois and our match sharpness. Most players love games every weekend as opposed to training. Also, a week is plenty of time to recover from a game the week before. We saw great momentum between the Joe Mc to the Dublin game to the Tipp game, we could easily have taken the energy out of it and over analysed had it have been 2-3 week break.
Shows you how much I've played.  ;)
Thanks for the insight, Tony. And you're right--there definitely was a momentum, there.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Giovanni

I don't think this is true at all. The players were completely out on their feet by the time the second half came around yesterday. If you check the various round robin results you'll see that teams that play 3 weeks in a row almost always lose. At this elite level, it is not fair to pitch some playing 3 weeks in a row (and 7 games in 9 weeks) against a team that haven't played for several weeks.

burdizzo

Correct. That is why they changed it this year so as teams wouldn't have to play three weeks in a row. Just wondering though, would expanding Leinster to six teams upset that balance?

Don Draper

One can hope.

Truth be told we got very lucky with injuries, Donncha apart. That's the danger of weekly games.

Joeythelips

One can hope.

I don't agree, the Munster and Leinster championships last year showed that teams playing 3 weeks running do struggle. 2 weeks should be the standard. Also we won a competition so its very harsh to recover, we have quite a young team so that helped but it sure did not help Westmeath.

Joeythelips

Quote from: Don Draper on July 15, 2019, 04:17:42 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 15, 2019, 01:37:11 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on July 15, 2019, 10:45:54 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 14, 2019, 11:54:17 PM
Savagely proud of our boys. As for Tipp, tramps to a man

You are a despicable and cowardly excuse for a man. Everyone in Tipp is a tr**p, everyone in Offaly is a c*^t by your anonymous estimation.

So do include lads like Brendan Cummins, the Tipp players who clapped the Laois team off the field and the vast majority of Tipp people who have nothing but respect for Laois hurling?

+1

But you'd be worse to be replying to that fool of a man who contributes nothing on here
Ah cmon now, you're not all that bad.

Don't mind them Don, you can be a bit cutting some times but it usually is tongue in cheek stuff. You certainly come across as a true Laois man unlike plenty on here.

MasterJ

Quote from: Don Draper on July 15, 2019, 11:54:31 PM
I’d say that it will be fine tuned over the winter. The result vs the Dubs was probably unexpected when the programme was being put together.
One can hope.

Truth be told we got very lucky with injuries, Donncha apart. That’s the danger of weekly games.

Well we didn't get any major injuries, but Donncha was not the only one. Mark was out for 2 games and Ben Conroy has been out all year. And Eanna missed the second half of the league!

Don Draper

Quote from: MasterJ on July 16, 2019, 08:48:15 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 15, 2019, 11:54:31 PM
One can hope.

Truth be told we got very lucky with injuries, Donncha apart. That's the danger of weekly games.

Well we didn't get any major injuries, but Donncha was not the only one. Mark was out for 2 games and Ben Conroy has been out all year. And Eanna missed the second half of the league!
I was talking about the 3 week run of games. Try to keep up or kindly refrain from engaging me, life's too short to be dealing with the likes of you. Pull up your socks.

Giovanni

Physical injury is one thing and it's true that we only lost one player over the 3 games which wasn't too bad. But being in peak physical condition after 3 games is another. I felt sorry for Paddy Purcell. He put so much into these last games that the tank just emptied in the end. There was nothing left to give. Lee Cleere was cramping up with 20 to go. Willie Dunphy, like Paddy Purcell just completely emptied the tank. It was noticeable that most of the subs who came on like looked physically stronger and sharper. I don't believe that even Limerick would have come through those games with a win against Tipp.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Giovanni on July 15, 2019, 11:05:27 PM
I don't think this is true at all. The players were completely out on their feet by the time the second half came around yesterday. If you check the various round robin results you'll see that teams that play 3 weeks in a row almost always lose. At this elite level, it is not fair to pitch some playing 3 weeks in a row (and 7 games in 9 weeks) against a team that haven't played for several weeks.

Totally agree. With the exception of Tyrone, who stumbled over the line, all the Super 8 teams that came through from the qualifiers looked out on their feet in the second half at the weekend. Regardless of whether you want to be playing games week in and week out, there is a huge advantage if you have an extra week of rest. What other competition in the world has teams playing vastly different amounts of games to win the same competition? The sooner we move to group stages with even size teams, even size break periods and the same number of total games the better in both hurling and football. There was an analysis done last year by one of the pundits showing that teams with two week breaks perform much better when playing teams with only one week and only if a team is considerably better than the team with 2 weeks break can they hope to get a result. It wasn't a subtle difference, it was huge.

Tony

If a young fit lad can't stay fresh and recover in 7 days, there's something wrong. He'd be fully recovered in 3-4 days provided he's not injured. Mentally, that's another question, especially if you're coming off a loss. For example, Westmeath in hurling were not helped at all. But I believe the 1 week turn around did us no harm, in this particular context. I will admit though, that 2 weeks is likely more ideal in general. I'm just saying that I don't think we were harmed with the one week turn around this year. We were out on our feet in the 2nd half due to going down to 14 and competing against a top, top side, not because we were still feeling the effects of the Dublin game, in my opinion.

Giovanni

Almost every serious sports scientist would disagree with you Tony but of course you're entitled to you opinion

Zooming around

An outstanding campaign of success and development. Well done to everybody concerned. It's important now that the players all view this as the start of the journey, not the destination. Tough and all as this year was, training wise, next year will be even tougher. Year two of a S+C and fitness program involves a hell of a lot harder work than year one. The players will have to embrace this. Imagine how much more physically difficult it will be playing Wexford instead of Westmeath. They will probably need to be doing something on their own outside of their own club training even before the county panel re-assemble. The hurling, which is much improved, needs to go to another level again. The Leinster championship is nowhere for a 95% touch. It must be 100% all the time. The encouraging thing is that I think we have a group of players who will want to do this. I'm not sure that bringing back those lads who said no this time last year is the way forward. I'd leave them where they are.
Finally, i have to compliment the players on how brave and composed they have been in all the games. They played some great hurling, always looking to pick out a man in a good position, not belting aimless balls away. It was brilliant to see. Well done to them all. The building blocks of many years are now finally firmly in place. Time to build again.