Monaghan v Dublin AI Semi Final 15 July 2023

Started by donelli, July 13, 2023, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Mario on July 16, 2023, 10:38:59 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 10:06:57 AM
ON the SUBject of too many steps , the  most noticeable one was Rock's goal.  He took at least 8 or 9.  That  score was  massive in a tight game ,   effectively the winning of the game.
Game was over at that point was it not. I know it was over carrying but the rule is rarely applied to the letter of the law. If you hesitate you get blown up, if you very clearly over carry when soloing out the field you get blown up, if you are riding a tackle usually get 7 or 8 steps.
The one on Oconnell was really harsh and was clearly only blown to balance the books. After that Con got away with at lest 2 more including the goal. If the ref is going to enforce it then blow them all up

Schkite

That was a tough one to take yesterday. Even though it was nip and tuck for most of the game, I never allowed myself to get too carried away as we all know that 3rd quarter blitz that the Dubs can pull out of the drawer to blow you away. But with it being level at 60 minutes, you're well in the mix and you feel anything can happen, you'd have taken the hand off anyone offering that all week. We'd made a habit of finishing games strong all year, but the Dubs in Croke Park with that experience and depth of squad is a different animal. The return of those lads into the squad this year was very telling, it's tough to match up to a panel like that.

I felt we did an awful lot of things right to be in that position. In the cold light of day this morning, we needed to be a bit more adventurous when we had some momentum. By the time we really started going direct and testing the Dubs full back line, they had their tails up and it was too late. We needed to be doing that a bit earlier. We were a little unfortunate in the first half with a couple hitting the woodwork and some goal chances not taken, we needed to take one of those in a game like this. I was a little surprised to see such effusive praise for Hurson. It was far from the worst refereeing performance I've seen, but I think he gave us a raw deal on a few occasions which either halted our momentum or helped Dublin's. Don't think it was a factor in the result of the game given how the Dubs finished, but it was a bit frustrating. The scoreline was harsh too, doesn't reflect the nature of the game but I guess that's what happens when you push up late on and leave yourself exposed.

There's alot to say about the players, but they've done the county proud as they have for so long. Special word for Vinny though- there's been so much said about what a thankless job he took on(sooner that he'd have probably liked), but what a job he's done. Whether its been dealing with tricky selection decisions, blooding youth or resting older lads, talking to the media after wins and defeats, highs and lows - he's done it all with a huge amount of dignity and respect. There's not many football people within the county that would be held in higher regard than Vinny, and I think nationwide people can see that with how his squad respond to him. I always felt he was very underrated as a player (he'd put the head down and get on with the job at hand with zero fuss) so it's great to see the praise and recognition he's getting now as a fledging manager.

Finally, it's been a bit annoying to see all the speculation about Mansy retiring, when he hadn't said a word about it himself yet. I know it's understandable when you reach a certain age, but it feels like people have been speculating on him for a few years now(as well as a few other players) - let them make up their own minds, and if they do retire then let them announce it when it feels right to them. Even Mansy being asked immediately after the game felt like they were looking for some sort of exclusive. As he said - that wasn't the day for that. I remember another interview about a year ago (on Off the Ball I think) where he basically said "Jeez lads quit trying to get rid of me!" I wouldn't mind, but he put in a fantastic performance in a high pressure AI semi final against one of the best teams in the land, and played the full game. That certainly looked like a player that still has alot to offer - if he wants to. Vinny managed his game time brilliantly this year so he could do the same again in 2024 if he makes himself available.
At the end of the day he owes the county absolutely nothing, he'll be a legend either way and if that's his last game, then he went out swinging.

seafoid

Quote from: Schkite on July 16, 2023, 12:36:00 PM
That was a tough one to take yesterday. Even though it was nip and tuck for most of the game, I never allowed myself to get too carried away as we all know that 3rd quarter blitz that the Dubs can pull out of the drawer to blow you away. But with it being level at 60 minutes, you're well in the mix and you feel anything can happen, you'd have taken the hand off anyone offering that all week. We'd made a habit of finishing games strong all year, but the Dubs in Croke Park with that experience and depth of squad is a different animal. The return of those lads into the squad this year was very telling, it's tough to match up to a panel like that.

I felt we did an awful lot of things right to be in that position. In the cold light of day this morning, we needed to be a bit more adventurous when we had some momentum. By the time we really started going direct and testing the Dubs full back line, they had their tails up and it was too late. We needed to be doing that a bit earlier. We were a little unfortunate in the first half with a couple hitting the woodwork and some goal chances not taken, we needed to take one of those in a game like this. I was a little surprised to see such effusive praise for Hurson. It was far from the worst refereeing performance I've seen, but I think he gave us a raw deal on a few occasions which either halted our momentum or helped Dublin's. Don't think it was a factor in the result of the game given how the Dubs finished, but it was a bit frustrating. The scoreline was harsh too, doesn't reflect the nature of the game but I guess that's what happens when you push up late on and leave yourself exposed.

There's alot to say about the players, but they've done the county proud as they have for so long. Special word for Vinny though- there's been so much said about what a thankless job he took on(sooner that he'd have probably liked), but what a job he's done. Whether its been dealing with tricky selection decisions, blooding youth or resting older lads, talking to the media after wins and defeats, highs and lows - he's done it all with a huge amount of dignity and respect. There's not many football people within the county that would be held in higher regard than Vinny, and I think nationwide people can see that with how his squad respond to him. I always felt he was very underrated as a player (he'd put the head down and get on with the job at hand with zero fuss) so it's great to see the praise and recognition he's getting now as a fledging manager.

Finally, it's been a bit annoying to see all the speculation about Mansy retiring, when he hadn't said a word about it himself yet. I know it's understandable when you reach a certain age, but it feels like people have been speculating on him for a few years now(as well as a few other players) - let them make up their own minds, and if they do retire then let them announce it when it feels right to them. Even Mansy being asked immediately after the game felt like they were looking for some sort of exclusive. As he said - that wasn't the day for that. I remember another interview about a year ago (on Off the Ball I think) where he basically said "Jeez lads quit trying to get rid of me!" I wouldn't mind, but he put in a fantastic performance in a high pressure AI semi final against one of the best teams in the land, and played the full game. That certainly looked like a player that still has alot to offer - if he wants to. Vinny managed his game time brilliantly this year so he could do the same again in 2024 if he makes himself available.
At the end of the day he owes the county absolutely nothing, he'll be a legend either way and if that's his last game, then he went out swinging.

You have to play at that level in order to understand what is required to go beyond it.
I thought yesterday was a huge step forward for Monaghan. It was a marker-
There will be plenty of time in the winter to reflect.
The new system is also a positive.
Beidh aris ann.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Mario on July 16, 2023, 10:38:59 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 10:06:57 AM
ON the SUBject of too many steps , the  most noticeable one was Rock's goal.  He took at least 8 or 9.  That  score was  massive in a tight game ,   effectively the winning of the game.
Game was over at that point was it not. I know it was over carrying but the rule is rarely applied to the letter of the law. If you hesitate you get blown up, if you very clearly over carry when soloing out the field you get blown up, if you are riding a tackle usually get 7 or 8 steps.

Yes it was over, Dublin four points up and 3 minutes into added time. Main question I'd have was who was meant to be marking Dean Rock?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jell 0 Biafra

They were chasing the game at that point, probably took some risks bringing players into more forward positions than earlier in the game.

SouthDublinBro

^ Beggan not the fastest off his line either. I felt like a couple of his poor kick outs in the final 10 minutes with the game in the balance also contributed to Monaghan's defeat.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 10:54:37 AM
Some amount of moaning about the ref. Watched the game late last night after being out, so a few drinks had, but felt Hurson was grand, and for the VAR call should be applauded, in his defence he could have had a call in his ear from a linesman or whatever but the fact he looked up gave it that 'VAR'

Some soft ones here and there but by and large nothing to get worked up about. Fenton no black card was correct, he was attempting to tackle the ball and wasn't deliberately trying to pull someone down.

Yup - the Fenton one was never in a million years going to be given as a black card.
Only someone very unfamiliar with how the rule is applied week-in week-out would even be calling for a black card.
Ref got the vast vast majority of his calls right. Wasn't a factor in Dublin winning for me.

I felt Monaghan's losing of the game was in the first half - can't remember who it was but the Monaghan player who took on the shot at goal when he was well covered when he had two man unmarked on the overlap was an unforgiveable mistake. You'd be pulling aside an U10 and having a word if he did that in training. To do it in a All-Ireland semi-final is utter madness.

Schkite

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 16, 2023, 08:23:21 PM
Some amount of moaning about the ref. Watched the game late last night after being out, so a few drinks had, but felt Hurson was grand, and for the VAR call should be applauded, in his defence he could have had a call in his ear from a linesman or whatever but the fact he looked up gave it that 'VAR'

Some soft ones here and there but by and large nothing to get worked up about. Fenton no black card was correct, he was attempting to tackle the ball and wasn't deliberately trying to pull someone down.

I felt Monaghan's losing of the game was in the first half - can't remember who it was but the Monaghan player who took on the shot at goal when he was well covered when he had two man unmarked on the overlap was an unforgiveable mistake. You'd be pulling aside an U10 and having a word if he did that in training. To do it in a All-Ireland semi-final is utter madness.

McAnespie. Yep that was a huge opportunity missed, very odd from him too as he'd have a cool head and his decision making is typically top class

tyrone08

Yup - the Fenton one was never in a million years going to be given as a black card.
Only someone very unfamiliar with how the rule is applied week-in week-out would even be calling for a black card.
Ref got the vast vast majority of his calls right. Wasn't a factor in Dublin winning for me.

Agree. For the life of me i have no idea why he decided to shoot when he had 2 unmarked players to his right.

straightred

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 16, 2023, 09:05:23 PM

Agree. For the life of me i have no idea why he decided to shoot when he had 2 unmarked players to his right.
Just saw that on the Sunday Game. I didnt realise live that he had those options. How soft was the free dublin got just before HT. Bring back Brolly - he'd have the guts to call that stuff out.

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on July 16, 2023, 10:38:15 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 16, 2023, 09:05:23 PM

Just saw that on the Sunday Game. I didnt realise live that he had those options. How soft was the free dublin got just before HT. Bring back Brolly - he'd have the guts to call that stuff out.
I doubt it, Brolly's head is stuck deep inside Dublin's árse.

On that last free before ht,  any ref with a smidgen of common sense should have copped on that it was the Dublin player dragging on the Monaghan defender's hand, sure Hurson was great altogether ::)

Milltown Row2

Give me one reason why he didn't call it if he seen it that way? What is it that he gains from not calling it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 10:58:06 PM
Give me one reason why he didn't call it if he seen it that way? What is it that he gains from not calling it?
He called it wrong, even an idiot ref on review should be able to see that, I can't speak for why he called it wrong.
BBC's ref in the video frame was also puzzled as to explain why he called it a foul.
Two easy scorable frees were awarded  to Dublin in that 1st half for non fouls.

straightred

This is why Hurson was poor yesterday. If he calls that then he gives Monaghan frees for similar incidences. Except he didn't. Look at the abuse McManus got in the 2nd half off the ball and didnt get one free. Why did he do it ? I don't know. Maybe the crowd got to him or the pressure of Dublin on home soil.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on July 16, 2023, 11:07:03 PM
He called it wrong, even an idiot ref on review should be able to see that, I can't speak for why he called it wrong.
BBC's ref in the video frame was also puzzled as to explain why he called it a foul.
Two easy scorable frees were awarded  to Dublin in that 1st half for non fouls.

So he called it wrong in the moment.. it happens. I'm sure had he a better view he'd say different. But these things happen.

But for some to blame home soil, pressure or it's Dublin is clutching, as I said earlier. Best just to get someone to ref it from the sofa, they'll do a better job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea