#UnitedForEquality

Started by Truth hurts, July 04, 2023, 03:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Can someone explain what the LGFA and camogie players want of the GAA?
Can their own organisations not support them?
What is the basic thing they need?
Why does the GAA always get the blame!

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

It needs shouted out loud that this not gender issue.

The disparity in expenses between men's GAA and ladies offshoots is no different to the pay disparity between soccer players and rugby players in this part of the world, no different to the exposure disparity between golf players and croquet players in this part of the world.

The amount of money available, the levels of exposure given, are directly related to the interest levels of the general public.

It needs shouted out loud that this is not a gender issue.

Louther

Quote from: thewobbler on July 04, 2023, 07:07:35 PM
It needs shouted out loud that this not gender issue.

The disparity in expenses between men's GAA and ladies offshoots is no different to the pay disparity between soccer players and rugby players in this part of the world, no different to the exposure disparity between golf players and croquet players in this part of the world.

The amount of money available, the levels of exposure given, are directly related to the interest levels of the general public.

It needs shouted out loud that this is not a gender issue.

Excellent summary.

This should be challenged. I've failed to see any players driven promotion if their own game and I'd attend ladies games. There is some that seem to have put themselves on an even ledge with the men's game but have been given a hike there by the GPA and gender equality drive.

Ladies soccer have put far more effort into promoting their sport and climbed to the where they are.

I really can't see where they coming from. Get a senior panel to commit year in year out is a massive struggle for some  counties, huge turnover every year and it's not cause of expenses or how they looked after. To me this seems to a few isolated counties problems been thrown at every county board.

The GAA needs to throw this back at LGFA, camoige board and the ladies themselves and ask what they bringing to the table as they can barely organise games never mind resource themselves. They looking and taking but offering little.

The Intercounty captains statement today, I doubt they even read it. Email sent out to the GPA reps with the contents and then issued on their behalf. That the way they've operated in the past.

restorepride

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 04, 2023, 03:59:22 PM
[/quote
I think you've just summed up the problem - ignorance.

tiempo

Any chance the lads show a bit of solidarity and join the ladies in their sit down protest?

Truth hurts

Quote from: restorepride on July 04, 2023, 11:13:47 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on July 04, 2023, 03:59:22 PM
[/quote
I think you've just summed up the problem - ignorance.

There is no ignorance in my post.

I want to know what they want the GAA to do?

snoopdog

What's the problem here. Clubs manage to look after their men's and ladies teams so why can't they all be under the GAA. 

Smokin Joe

Quote from: snoopdog on July 05, 2023, 10:19:55 AM
What's the problem here. Clubs manage to look after their men's and ladies teams so why can't they all be under the GAA.

What would happen all the Executive / Top Table members of the LGFA / Camogie associations if they did come under the GAA umbrella?

Taylor

This is a very sensitive subject for some and if you go against the grain you could be considered sexist, ignorant, out of touch etc etc.

For what its worth, if a team/sport is able to generate the revenue then the players should absolutely be looked after and given everything they are asked for.
But if a team doesnt generate the revenue then where will the money come from?

For example - my local mens (completely amateur) soccer team are pretty successful and get sponsorship/local publicity etc - the players are well looked after with gear, medical etc etc.
Now my local table tennis team are also pretty successful and probably more successful in their field than the soccer team but they generate a fraction of the interest and subsequently less money/sponsorship etc. As a result they simply dont have the funds to give the members of the team the same perks the soccer players get.

While ladies play a similar game to the mens they come under a completely different umbrella so are we asking someone else to feed money into the ladies game because they cant generate it themselves?
Should my local soccer team give money to the local table tennis team?

We need to get away from it being a male/female issue - it isnt.

It simply comes down to money and who can generate enough to sustain themselves

maddog

Quote from: Taylor on July 05, 2023, 11:08:39 AM
This is a very sensitive subject for some and if you go against the grain you could be considered sexist, ignorant, out of touch etc etc.

For what its worth, if a team/sport is able to generate the revenue then the players should absolutely be looked after and given everything they are asked for.

For example - my local mens (completely amateur) soccer team are pretty successful and get sponsorship/local publicity etc - the players are well looked after with gear, medical etc etc.
Now my local table tennis team are also pretty successful and probably more successful in their field than the soccer team but they generate a fraction of the interest and subsequently less money/sponsorship etc. As a result they simply dont have the funds to give the members of the team the same perks the soccer players get.

While ladies play a similar game to the mens they come under a completely different umbrella so are we asking someone else to feed money into the ladies game because they cant generate it themselves?

But in some cases they need that crutch initially to grow the sport. Thinking of womens soccer in UK for example.

Cavan19

Quote from: Taylor on July 05, 2023, 11:08:39 AM

I may be wrong on this i read an article on it a few weeks ago and cannot find it now.

It's to do with integration as well the GAA will take the LFGA and Camogs under its umbrella but they want to see how both organisations will generate sufficient funding to put in the pot and both have not provided anything to them. (we all no the reason why)

snoopdog

Dublin creates a vast amount of revenue for the GAA. Therefore they should get the vast amount of the money. If you go by the above.  And they do.  :)

befair

A member of my family played county level football for many yrs till recently. It was a v healthy hobby, an honour to play for her county, and she made great friends. She wouldn't have dreamed of asking for expenses to pay for her hobby. Ladies football has v little money, as members of county boards would tell you; being on a county board is a thankless task

full moon

I question the funding off the GPA, it seems like a soapbox for wannabe politicians and is funded by the GAA to tune of 1 million euros supposedly ? So this org is being funded by GAA to slag the GAA off.

As for the merger I also question were the money is going to come from for all this, because the GAA have really milked dry fans with ticket prices and now GAA Go.

Nobody wants players put of pocket let's not forget this is an amateur sport, people don't want players out of pocket but this is not soccer that many GPA reps and players seem to want to emulate.

I don't like the hostile tone of the GPA and others constantly attacking GAA and painting it as some sexist organisation.