Joe Brolly has discussion with Jamie Bryson

Started by imtommygunn, October 31, 2021, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 25, 2021, 12:16:45 PM
What Brolly has said is reflective of many lives experiences. I have lost count the amount of times I was told to f**k off back to the Black North, etc etc. You can sometimes accept that from your direct opponent in the whole sledging element of sport but when a management and supporters are shouting at 12 year olds in Cootehill 35 odd years ago you realise that this is not a new problem. That was my lived experience of it for the first time. We were playing on the community games and were roundly abused the whole way through the game. I personally got a lot of it as I was an oversized kid and was regularly accused of being overage and adults physically challenged me on the field and my mother verbally abused off it when she stood up for me. It didn't seem to make a difference to me but we certainly were made feel different and 'apart'. A woman assaulted our team manager in Mosney the same year with an umbrella and told him to go back to the Queen and not come back.

35 years ago at u12 football.  This was cultural, this was society wide. It wasn't just a few bad apples as some would like to believe.  Own it and accept it.

Oh and happy Christmas to one and all!

In fairness 35 years ago the North was running a vicious civil war. Almost every morning in the South the news covered some killing. Things have moved on since. I hope the peace can be maintained.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

There was indifference to what was happening because it really didn't impact people in a day to day basis.

Republicans were banned from the airwaves by RTE so we received a very sanitized narrative concocted by the authorities

Ireland was in a recession of outrageous proportions and it was a struggle for most people to even make ends meet

The church still ruled the roost-and the church said that the IRA were the bad guys.

I would say 90% of people living in the ROI were too scared to even cross the border never mind spend any time up there

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: seafoid on December 25, 2021, 02:21:53 PM
What Brolly has said is reflective of many lives experiences. I have lost count the amount of times I was told to f**k off back to the Black North, etc etc. You can sometimes accept that from your direct opponent in the whole sledging element of sport but when a management and supporters are shouting at 12 year olds in Cootehill 35 odd years ago you realise that this is not a new problem. That was my lived experience of it for the first time. We were playing on the community games and were roundly abused the whole way through the game. I personally got a lot of it as I was an oversized kid and was regularly accused of being overage and adults physically challenged me on the field and my mother verbally abused off it when she stood up for me. It didn't seem to make a difference to me but we certainly were made feel different and 'apart'. A woman assaulted our team manager in Mosney the same year with an umbrella and told him to go back to the Queen and not come back.

35 years ago at u12 football.  This was cultural, this was society wide. It wasn't just a few bad apples as some would like to believe.  Own it and accept it.

In fairness 35 years ago the North was running a vicious civil war. Almost every morning in the South the news covered some killing. Things have moved on since. I hope the peace can be maintained.

Tell me what does that have to do with a member of the same sporting organisation as myself calling me a black British bastard and telling me to f**k off back to my Queen?  Just out of curiosity....seeing as me and this man were supposed to be of the same ilk....just wondering. Your comment is reflective of how there was and in some instances still is a hand wringing and hand washing attitude towards people from the north from people from the 26. I don't ever recall calling someone from Monaghan or Cavan a free state bastard but they happily called me a black bastard....

Wildweasel74

I remember Monaghan supporters more than a few times going on about taking the queen's pound, this was when Ireland needed the bail out. I was quick to remind them we bailing you c***ts out, no answer. Donegal or cavan supporters never came out with this, Had a real hatred to monaghan supporters ever since.

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 25, 2021, 07:04:44 PM
I remember Monaghan supporters more than a few times going on about taking the queen's pound, this was when Ireland needed the bail out. I was quick to remind them we bailing you c***ts out, no answer. Donegal or cavan supporters never came out with this, Had a real hatred to monaghan supporters ever since.

I'm interested to hear how northern nationalists "bailed" us out?

When the northern state is bailed out every year to the tune of how many billion a year ?

And the British state itself stepped in to save their own banking sector by propping up their Irish subsidiaries with their benevolent "loan" which also carried the highest rate of interest

My view

We should have refused the benevolence,let those banks fail,spread the contagion and let the British taxpayer then foot the tab.

As a tipp man the only experience I've had of our northern brethren was at the u21 football all ireland

Where we were roundly abused unprovoked by Tyrone fans as free state bastards every though there's not an iota of history or games or grief between the 2 counties

It goes both ways

red hander

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 25, 2021, 07:17:02 PM

When the northern state is bailed out every year to the tune of how many billion a year ?

And the British state itself stepped in to save their own banking sector by propping up their Irish subsidiaries with their benevolent "loan" which also carried the highest rate of interest

My view

We should have refused the benevolence,let those banks fail,spread the contagion and let the British taxpayer then foot the tab.

As a tipp man the only experience I've had of our northern brethren was at the u21 football all ireland

Where we were roundly abused unprovoked by Tyrone fans as free state bastards every though there's not an iota of history or games or grief between the 2 counties

It goes both ways

I was at that game too, and if you were abused by some arseholes then that's a disgrace, but to say you were roundly abused suggests we were all at it, which is just pure bullshit.

Itchy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 25, 2021, 04:28:17 PM

Tell me what does that have to do with a member of the same sporting organisation as myself calling me a black British bastard and telling me to f**k off back to my Queen?  Just out of curiosity....seeing as me and this man were supposed to be of the same ilk....just wondering. Your comment is reflective of how there was and in some instances still is a hand wringing and hand washing attitude towards people from the north from people from the 26. I don't ever recall calling someone from Monaghan or Cavan a free state bastard but they happily called me a black bastard....

I can only tell you I've never ever heard any supporter in the 3 ulster Republic counties calling a Northern supporter a black bastard. I have heard a few (small minority) referring to us as free state bastards. But that's a minority and it'd suggest bc that you are also referring to a small minority of morons.

I was once told to f**k off back to the UK by a moron in mayo one time too who thought northern Ireland had 9 counties!

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: red hander on December 25, 2021, 07:43:31 PM

My view

It goes both ways

I was at that game too, and if you were abused by some arseholes then that's a disgrace, but to say you were roundly abused suggests we were all at it, which is just pure bullshit.

Tipp and Tyrone have no history and given the gap that is between the respective football and hurling teams never will

The behaviour of a lot of the Tyrone fans that day was disgusting and I say that as some who's gone to white hot Munster hurling games for the past 40 odd years.

You get the odd moron who makes a stupid comment and is swiftly dealt with by his own,there was no self regulation from the Tyrone crowd that day

Curious behaviour from Northern Nationalists who think insulting people from the South who actually were well disposed towards them up to that point is the way to a United Ireland is the way to go.

I had up to that day thought we were all the same as Irish people,I don't think so anymore

quit yo jibbajabba

This thread turned out Chrismassy 😃

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 25, 2021, 04:28:17 PM

Nobody should be called a black bastard on a GAA pitch but 35b years ago there was a lot of ignorance and fear about the North brought about because of the Troubles.

I don't have a handwringing attitude to the North. I think a United Ireland is going to take a lot of work. The North has been a mess for a long time..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clarshack

Quote from: red hander on December 25, 2021, 07:43:31 PM

My view

It goes both ways

the Tipp players were no angels that day and then they had the cheek to cry and whinge afterwards with Feargal Logan even banned from their dressing room. Then in the qualifier game a few months later in Thurles Colm Cavanagh was stamped on in a real dirty action by a Tipp player. Think they had a right few of their team booked that day too. Yet Tyrone are the bad guys.

Silver hill

Unfortunately, I can't defend my Ulster neighbour. There are assholes in every county but I've witnessed and heard too many anecdotal evidence from other counties to not come to the conclusion that there's a real scummy element that follow the red hand.
Majority are well behaved and great gaels but that arsehole element really gets them a bad name.
No issue to the same level with any other county in Ulster or Ireland.
And before the Tyronies jump on here, it's nothing to do with jealousy or their success. Was going on way before they won any silverware of note.

trueblue1234

Merry Christmas Silver Hill......
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

charlieTully

Quote from: Silver hill on December 26, 2021, 12:04:34 AM
Unfortunately, I can't defend my Ulster neighbour. There are assholes in every county but I've witnessed and heard too many anecdotal evidence from other counties to not come to the conclusion that there's a real scummy element that follow the red hand.
Majority are well behaved and great gaels but that arsehole element really gets them a bad name.
No issue to the same level with any other county in Ulster or Ireland.
And before the Tyronies jump on here, it's nothing to do with jealousy or their success. Was going on way before they won any silverware of note.

Shower of tramps. Wouldn't even wish them a happy Xmas.