Mandatory covid 19 vaccination

Started by grounded, November 21, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Covid 19 vaccination(s) become mandatory by law in Ireland(North and South)?

Yes
45 (50%)
No
45 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: November 24, 2021, 10:49:12 PM

grounded

Quote from: lenny on November 28, 2021, 07:11:37 PM
Quote from: grounded on November 28, 2021, 06:59:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 28, 2021, 06:17:33 PM
I see 62% of Swiss voters in favour of continuing curbs on the unvaccinated.

Imagine if they decided to place curbs on those poor folks with underlying health conditions.
        The scientific evidence is very clear that they are significantly more at risk of both hospitalisation and ICU admission after covid infection.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00074-0/fulltext

How would you feel about that?

Its a slippery old slope this curbing  of freedoms of certain sections of society.

Who could be next?

There's a big difference here. People have a choice whether or not to take the vaccine. If they feel so strongly about not taking it and causing unnecessary risk to their work colleagues, their fellow commuters, their fellow revellers in nightclubs and their families then they should be prepared to accept that the vast majority of society do not want to have their risk increased by largely selfish people. We need the vast majority of people across the world to get vaccinated to ensure the eventual fizzling out of covid. All these anti vaxxers, conspiracy theorists are simply extending this pandemic and ensuring that it stretches on for another year or 2.

I was under the assumption that the goal of the covid passport was to protect the health service from becoming overwhelmed and in particular ICU admission by limiting the contact that non Vaccinated have with other members of society in communal areas.
             That the government had identified that non vaccinated were over represented in both hospital admissions and in particular ICU admissions.
          It was a purely about protecting the health system based on SCIENTIFIC research and statistics.   
           What you are suggesting is that the introduction of the covid passport is a form of encouragement or i would say coercion in order to get that non vaccinated group to get vaccinated.
     Is that your take on it?
         Because if it's based on scientific evidence and current statistics then you would have to say that those with underlying health conditions ( vaccinated or unvaccinated) are over represented in both hospital admissions and ICU admissions.
        Am i wrong in that assertion?

imtommygunn

Imagine if they decided to place curbs on those poor folks with underlying health conditions.
        The scientific evidence is very clear that they are significantly more at risk of both hospitalisation and ICU admission after covid infection. (Vaccinated or unvaccinated).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00074-0/fulltext

Its a slippery old slope this curbing  of freedoms of certain sections of society.

Who could be next?

The thing is though. You are imagining.

grounded

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2021, 07:31:23 PM

The scientific evidence is very clear that they are significantly more at risk of both hospitalisation and ICU admission after covid infection. (Vaccinated or unvaccinated).

Who could be next?

Slippery slope. Thats my point. 
       I'd guess the experience of people on this island,  has left me very nervous about governments ( north or south ) removing people's freedoms for ' in their view ' the good of society.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: lenny on November 28, 2021, 07:11:37 PM

The scientific evidence is very clear that they are significantly more at risk of both hospitalisation and ICU admission after covid infection.

Who could be next?

There's a big difference here. People have a choice whether or not to take the vaccine. If they feel so strongly about not taking it and causing unnecessary risk to their work colleagues, their fellow commuters, their fellow revellers in nightclubs and their families then they should be prepared to accept that the vast majority of society do not want to have their risk increased by largely selfish people. We need the vast majority of people across the world to get vaccinated to ensure the eventual fizzling out of covid. All these anti vaxxers, conspiracy theorists are simply extending this pandemic and ensuring that it stretches on for another year or 2.

But they don't pose a risk to anyone else anymore than someone who is vacinnated. It's to themselves that the increased risk lies. And of course the risk to the capacity within health service .

But let's not stretch this great big " contagious unwashed" thingy

grounded

' We need the vast majority of people across the world to get vaccinated to ensure the eventual fizzling out of covid. All these anti vaxxers, conspiracy theorists are simply extending this pandemic and ensuring that it stretches on for another year or 2.'

Well one sure way to reduce one of the main conspiracy theories
     ' that big Pharma is in this for the money and not for the good of humanity '
          would be for the big companies that produce the covid vaccination to supply the 3rd world/developing countries with the vaccine/ability to manufacture free of charge.
          Its been drummed into us ' that we all must be vaccinated for the programme to work ' 
       Why aren't they supplying the vaccines to these developing countries?
        Wtf is the point of chasing down the last 7% of the Irish population if four and a half billion remain unvaccinated?

imtommygunn

Quote from: grounded on November 28, 2021, 07:35:56 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2021, 07:31:23 PM

Who could be next?

Slippery slope. Thats my point. 
       I'd guess the experience of people on this island,  has left me very nervous about governments ( north or south ) removing people's freedoms for ' in their view ' the good of society.

I really don't think it is a slippery slope. 

Rossfan

Next thing they'll want people to wear seat belts in cars, helmets for motorbikers and not allow us the freedom to smoke where we want.
Then they'll start vaccinating our children against polio, diphtheria, meningitis and the like.
How dare they take away our freedom to get serious illnesses?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

What Freedoms been denied are people on about? Not go into a setting without a mask? There many a nightclub you can't wear white trainers into, did that club take away my freedom.? Some clubs, are over 21, am the age 18-20, is my freedom took away that I can get in most place but not there. Years ago many people drove without wearing a seat belt. They started fining people for such, cause normal people were either stupid or ignorant of the danger. So if someone can list my stolen freedoms I like to hear, maybe some people waving swastika posters at the Belfast Rally last week, should watch Einsatzgruppen, Nazi death squads if they can stomach it on Netflix. truly horrifying to watch. Maybe then they know waving that to proof their stance, is stomach churning.

RadioGAAGAA

Who could be next?

What next eh?
Maybe stopping you from driving past a primary school at any speed you please?
The absolute bstards.

Go away and take a look at yerself ye dopey clown.
i usse an speelchekor

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 09:40:26 PM

Who could be next?

What next eh?
The absolute bstards.

Genuine laugh out loud there 🤣

grounded

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 09:40:26 PM

Who could be next?

What next eh?
The absolute bstards.

Nice. When you have to resort to insults to make your argument you know your bate.

imtommygunn

I would have said things like tories trying to get rid of human rights acts and things like that are a bit of a bigger problem than anything we are looking at from COVID.  Those are real concerns unlike you need a lateral flow test result if you are not vaccinated.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: grounded on November 28, 2021, 10:09:35 PM
Nice. When you have to resort to insults to make your argument you know your bate.

I've learned largely from the covid thread that there is no point even attempting to make an argument with stupid people based on facts and logic.

i usse an speelchekor

grounded

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 10:20:28 PM

I've learned largely from the covid thread that there is no point even attempting to make an argument with stupid people based on facts and logic.

Cool, Good advice. I've added you to my blocked/Ignore list.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 10:20:28 PM

intelligence is in short supply alright  ;)

why is it always nordies against reason though  ::)