Jack O'Connor quits Kildare

Started by FearAnFhírinne, September 06, 2021, 10:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearAnFhírinne

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0906/1244934-jack-oconnor-steps-down-as-kildare-manager/

seems odd, just 2 weeks after this was reported:
https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/sport/658409/jack-o-connor-to-lead-kildare-again-in-2022.html

You'd wonder what would be going on.  ;)

To be fair to him the 8 hour round trip would be an awful pain.

Hound

Apparently he really put down Kildare in a podcast shortly after the Kerry defeat. Not sure what exactly he said, but the Newstalk guys were incredulous and said Kildare couldnt possibly keep him on.

Again not sure what he said, and the NT guys can be known for hyperbole, but Ger Gilroy said - people told me what he said was bad, but I thought it couldn't be that bad. Then I when I heard it was way worse!

Jack's post match interviews this year where all about Jack and what a great job Jack is doing.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MayoBuck

Quote from: Hound on September 06, 2021, 10:57:24 AM
Apparently he really put down Kildare in a podcast shortly after the Kerry defeat. Not sure what exactly he said, but the Newstalk guys were incredulous and said Kildare couldnt possibly keep him on.

Again not sure what he said, and the NT guys can be known for hyperbole, but Ger Gilroy said - people told me what he said was bad, but I thought it couldn't be that bad. Then I when I heard it was way worse!

Jack's post match interviews this year where all about Jack and what a great job Jack is doing.

They were talking about Peter Keane being under pressure and Jack basically said he'd love to manage Kerry again and compared it to the Man Utd job. Couldn't really stay on in Kildare after that.

FearAnFhírinne

Not sure he said that much about Kildare - I think all he said was you could walk the streets in Kildare and now know they were in a Leinster final, making a comparison to Kerry as to how its different and like a religion down there.
He did say about the Kerry management role "if you want an easy life, you go coach somewhere else" but in the context of how much expectation there is in Kerry - he backed that up by highlighting the abuse he got when he coached Kerry in this first 4 years in 04, 05, 06 and 09 and how he won 3 leagues, 3 all Irelands and 3 Munster titles.
He did mention there was a lure there in terms of wanting to coach at the highest level.
Again - the context was how football is all consuming in Kerry  - and outlining that is not the case in Kildare.

I'm not sure that any of his comments in that podcast were the like to get him moved along, but I get your point too re NT and Hyperbole.

Don Cockburn

Quote from: FearAnFhírinne on September 06, 2021, 11:32:14 AM

Not sure he said that much about Kildare - I think all he said was you could walk the streets in Kildare and now know they were in a Leinster final, making a comparison to Kerry as to how its different and like a religion down there.

You could walk the streets of Kerry on Munster final week and not know they were in one.

Blowitupref

Reading between the lines of his recent interview he believed he had taken Kildare as far as he could and was going to jump at the chance of returning to the Kerry job if it became available. So does this mean Peter Keane is gone even if it not made public yet?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

FearAnFhírinne

Quote from: Don Cockburn on September 06, 2021, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: FearAnFhírinne on September 06, 2021, 11:32:14 AM

You could walk the streets of Kerry on Munster final week and not know they were in one.

No doubt you could, he seemed to suggest differently. Its in the Examiner podcast reviewing the Kerry Tyrone game, that bit starts around 1 hour and 1 minute.

Captain Scarlet

This line here: "if you want an easy life, you go coach somewhere else" sums it up.
You are pretty much saying that you go coach Kildare or the likes for an easy life.

He is making his move to go back again and to be honest he never really seemed embedded in Kildare. It really just felt like he was doing a gig and not really IN IT.
That is my own feeling and I know he put in serious miles (and mileage...) and we had a decent year but I think we need someone closer to home to kickstart it all a bit.

What is the mood in Kerry towards him? I see the Kerryman are pretty much saying he is keen to return.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2021, 02:16:49 PM
This line here: "if you want an easy life, you go coach somewhere else" sums it up.
You are pretty much saying that you go coach Kildare or the likes for an easy life.

He is making his move to go back again and to be honest he never really seemed embedded in Kildare. It really just felt like he was doing a gig and not really IN IT.
That is my own feeling and I know he put in serious miles (and mileage...) and we had a decent year but I think we need someone closer to home to kickstart it all a bit.

What is the mood in Kerry towards him? I see the Kerryman are pretty much saying he is keen to return.
Davy Burke?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rrhf

That one you would have thought to be a penalty kick, whilst he could not beat Tyrone he still one 3 all Irelands by beating everyone else. 

seafoid

The choice of next manager is a big call for the Lilies.
The Leinster Gulag may have opened its gates.
Kildare need a bit of soccer composure and could go far.
KFM is rooting for Tom Cribben.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

I think the county are very keen for Davy Burke, but county board would probably take Cribbin.
Anthony Rainbow is another man who has cut his teeth as well.

Kildare have no money so it won't be a big name outsider I don't think.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

yellowcard

Jack has made no bones about the fact that he wants the Kerry job. Once he came out with those comments his position in Kildare was untenable whether or not he wanted to stay on.

He was very lucky with the timing of getting the Kerry job the first 2 occasions and the player talent at the minute is good enough to win an AI in the next few years. Timing is everything and there don't appear to be too many outstanding candidates in the frame for the Kerry job should a vacancy arise.

rodney trotter

He's had a strange circle in management. 2 spells as Senior manager, then the Minors and U20s. He didn't do great with Kerry U20s.

Kildare gave a very flat display in this year's Leinster final. He got them promoted in league but not great progress under O Connor