AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 12, 2021, 07:42:08 AM
Get some scientists in to study this strain of covid that the Tyrone boys caught.

Tyronavirus.

6th sam

Quote from: grounded on September 12, 2021, 08:43:24 AM
https://www.otbsports.com/football/padraig-hampsey-speech-1250647

That's the link to Padraig's winning speech. A very under rated player.
       A credit to his county unlike the Donegal supporter behind him!
Great speech. Some great leaders in that Tyrone camp, who conduct themselves well. Gutted for Mayo , but I think they still lack enough marquee forwards. Would agree re Lee Keegan being outstanding, incredible athleticism and drive but ultimately not enough product from that,  whilst McKenna for example didn't really play well but produces the best play of the game which essentially win the match.
Well done Tyrone

Gael85

Congrats and well done to Tyrone.  Got the goals at right time.  Niall Morgan restarts were top class. Tyrone midfielders Kennedy and Kilpatrick stood up today. Ben McDonnell caught great ball when entered pitch. McCurry had a great season. Niall Sludden had a good first half. Special mention to Meyler and McGeary brilliant all year, always thought their discipline was poor but this year they channelled their aggression excellently. From their winning 2015 u21 Hampsey, Meyler, McGeary, Burns and McShane are the central spine of current team. 

Commiserations to Mayo. Probably one of the toughest defeats to take. Stephen Coen, Lee Keegan and Paddy Durcan were excellent.  O'Donoghue and Conroy faded as Tyrone tightened up at back. Leaders Ruane and O'Connor were very quiet.

After all that we now have the club championship look forward to. Looking forward to getting to club games and watching on TG4.

RedHand88

Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2021, 08:30:07 AM
Quote from: knockitdown on September 12, 2021, 08:24:39 AM
Anyone able to post Brollys full analysis from the independent?

Analysis by Joe brolly

Mayo are shite this week
Funny story that never happened  no 1
Funny story that never happened  no 2
Mayo are shite

Some quote from the Art of War by Sun tzu.
Meet kieran mcgeary walking his dog in Pomeroy during the week and told him to give Mayo hell.
Had pints with Dooher last night and told him he thought tyrone would win.
Aidan o shea
Dig at RTE
Been watching tyrone train all week.
Knows padraig hampseys granda
Another dig at RTE

trueblue1234

A small mention for Burns, I had my reservations about him starting tbh, but covers an enormous amount of ground and spoiled a lot of play on Mayo!! Was critical to turnovers, which is central to our game plan this year.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Gael85

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 12, 2021, 09:21:04 AM
A small mention for Burns, I had my reservations about him starting tbh, but covers an enormous amount of ground and spoiled a lot of play on Mayo!! Was critical to turnovers, which is central to our game plan this year.

Some engine on Burns.  Not the best footballer but has serious heart. I think he had the most possessions against Kerry in semi final.

yellowcard

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 12, 2021, 09:21:04 AM

Thought Burns was crucial to Tyrone's game plan all year. Tackles on the edge but positionally very good and wins a serious amount of possession.

rodney trotter

Mayo played better in last years final. The 4 week gap wouldn't have helped but the lack of composure was very poor.

Noticeable for 2 teams in a All Ireland that they hadn't a player to take frees from either angle. McCurry took from both sides,took one in the first half which wasn't on for a left footer. O Donaghue the same for Mayo, dropped a free which lead to the goal. It was a free for a left footer

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on September 12, 2021, 08:33:59 AM

Didn't see it but my guess is:

RTE quiz joke
Loads of pints last night
Received a text msg from a former player
Aidan O'Shea is a joke

I'm so great
Everyone looking a selfie with me
The winners are great fellas and I knew they'd win
The losers are prima donnas and i knew they'd lose
The winning team all texted me afterwards
I'm so great

Rudi

Claire Byrne has it right when its comes to Brolly, turn the wee bollix off. Hes a disgrace to the wonderful men he played with. You would wonder how lads like Anthony Tohill, Sean Marty etc tolerated an eggit like him.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: BennyCake on September 12, 2021, 10:23:52 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 12, 2021, 08:33:59 AM

Didn't see it but my guess is:

RTE quiz joke
Loads of pints last night
Received a text msg from a former player
Aidan O'Shea is a joke

I'm so great
Everyone looking a selfie with me
The winners are great fellas and I knew they'd win
The losers are prima donnas and i knew they'd lose
The winning team all texted me afterwards
I'm so great
:) :).
Bang on!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Halfquarter

Premium
No more excuses please from football's great time wasters

Joe Brolly
Mayo is full of cliques and favourites as culture will not change under Horan who made Tyrone's job easy

September 11 2021 10:08 PM
Time wasters. A lot of other counties would give their right arms to be here. The people of Mayo put their heart and soul into their team. And this is what they get?
A manager on the sideline making choices based on political considerations. A protected captain who does not lead and never will.

Substituting Pádraig O'Hora in the 51st minute after he had surged forward to win a free inside the Tyrone half and had been taking the game to Tyrone? Leaving passengers on the field?

It was embarrassing and enraging, even if it was inevitable. The shame is that with a high-performance culture based on merit, Mayo could be so much more than this. I got a text from Pat Gilroy on the final whistle. It said "culture".

At the highest level, the best culture wins. Which is why, in the end, a middling Tyrone team still learning their trade won easily. They are serious.

With Dooher, Logan and Peter Canavan leading the group, there is a merciless search for success. No passengers. No favourites. Winning big games, as they know, is war without guns.

The six in-a-row Dubs might have been highly skilled, highly conditioned, and expertly coached, but they would not have won without bringing war. Tyrone were up for it. Mayo, with a few exceptions, were not. How could they be? They have too many distractions.

ADVERTISEMENT
The game was finally over in the 25th minute. Aidan O'Shea was presented with the easiest goal chance I have seen in a final. The Tyrone keeper was caught out and had left his goal empty, chasing back fearing the worst.

His life must have flashed before his eyes. He needn't have worried. "Oh for f**k sake" the Mayo man beside me said. My brother Proinsias texted me, "As I said our boy".

When there are individuals who are undroppable and a manager has favourites, cliques form and it is not a team.

The players know this, and the true bonds of loyalty and togetherness that are compulsory for success are missing.

The manager talks a good game but it is merely talk. I feel bad for Mayo and its people and its wonderful clubs but until this malaise is rooted out, this will continue to be their reality.

Straws will be clutched at. Mayo missed a penalty when they were two points down. But when everything isn't right, nothing is right.

The feeling of liberation at the absence of Dublin and the hope that Mayo might perform was soon replaced with a feeling that nothing has changed. Tyrone, all calm and composed and ruthless when it came to it, won by five points.

ADVERTISEMENT
It could have been worse, if for the second game in a row, the 'Son of God' hadn't missed what for him was an easy goal chance.

I have watched him with excitement since he was a teenager and have never seen him miss a goal chance. It must be the Carrickmore in him. He has his first Sam Maguire already. His father, who did not win his first until he was 33, must be well pleased.

I wrote last week that what happened in the last quarter of the Dublin game and in extra-time was not a game plan. It was a crazy, unpredictable, emotional energy that an underdog sometimes taps into.

Tyrone, meanwhile, gloved Kerry, with a miraculous performance from David Clifford keeping Kerry in it. Finals are unsentimental affairs. It is kill or be killed. It is culture v culture. And when one team's philosophy is not based on the principles of logic and merit, defeat is inevitable. The back-to-the-drawing-board bull* does not cut it.

Good culture is the backdrop for the decisive contributions that are required to win an All-Ireland. I think of the Meath team of Colm O'Rourke, all loyalty and stubbornness and refusal to accept defeat, winning All-Irelands against better teams on paper.

Or the 2008 Tyrone team. Or Down of 1991. Or us in 1993. Or the Dubs from 2011 onwards. Mayo's manager will say, "We lost by a point" or "we missed a penalty" or "we couldn't repeat our semi-final performance" but this is just bull*.

Tyrone, a team picked on merit, with a culture of heads down, no commercial distractions and playing for the people of Tyrone, easily won. Two expertly-taken goals will be the headline, but the truth is that their culture is a world away from their opposition's.

ADVERTISEMENT
There were any number of moments where we turned to each other and said, "Well that's the end of that", but the truth is that this contest was over before it began.

Tyrone came in at half-time two up, after O'Hora had surged forward defiantly to win a 20-metre free that Ryan O'Donoghue easily converted. But the wheels of this sentimental, public-relations merry-go-round came off altogether in the second half.

McShane came on and fisted a superb goal from a terrific long diagonal ball. The 'Son of God' came on shortly afterwards and played with the precision and expertise one would expect from a Canavan.

The inevitable second Tyrone goal followed, a thrilling long kick-out from Morgan leading to an expertly-taken finish. Calm, precise, serious. Just what you'd expect from a serious team.

Thing is, Tyrone did not expect to be All-Ireland champions at the start of this season. But when they got Mayo in the final, they knew, and we knew, that it was going to happen. In the end, it is a question of culture.

Under this manager, Mayo are time wasters. Soul destroying for good footballers and good clubs. Soul destroying for the people.

tyrone08

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 12, 2021, 02:53:34 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on September 12, 2021, 12:51:22 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 09, 2021, 01:20:35 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on September 09, 2021, 01:11:35 PM
Quote from: clarshack on September 09, 2021, 10:04:26 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 09, 2021, 09:24:42 AM
The intensity they brought to the kerry game was good but just as much about Kerry's lack of intensity (donnie buckley replaced by mountain climber ) .  Mayo players wont just match Tyrone intensity they'll murder them . Some of these bucks like o hora and mullin are off the scale in this department , you'll see .

I must be in the minority but I thought Kerry played well in the semi and I didn't think they lacked intensity.
You only have to look at the pressure they exerted on the Tyrone kick outs and their harrying of the Tyrone defenders.
Maybe that was the Tyrone master plan, let Kerry burn themselves out. It is what they did with Clifford, let him kick points until is leg got too tired.

Shame they didnt put some pressure on the goal scorers from Tyrone.  Kerry were shite and Tyrone aren't much better , like I've said a million times you'll see sat , our bucks will makes bits of them

Good lad Larry. It's cause of fans like you and coffee shops in mayo giving out free drinks cause use were certain you won win that cost mayothst game. Constantly hyping up teams which never make it over the line. I can guess Lee Keegan isn't smiling in mckennas face anymore tonight.

I know is probably over exhurberance after your deserved win but this post is complete horseshit in fairness. Enjoy the celebrations anyway though.

Not horseshit at all. Mayo apparently had the game won before it started. Year after year they mayo are hyped beyond believe.

yellowcard

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 12, 2021, 10:53:25 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 12, 2021, 02:53:34 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on September 12, 2021, 12:51:22 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 09, 2021, 01:20:35 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on September 09, 2021, 01:11:35 PM
Quote from: clarshack on September 09, 2021, 10:04:26 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 09, 2021, 09:24:42 AM
The intensity they brought to the kerry game was good but just as much about Kerry's lack of intensity (donnie buckley replaced by mountain climber ) .  Mayo players wont just match Tyrone intensity they'll murder them . Some of these bucks like o hora and mullin are off the scale in this department , you'll see .

I must be in the minority but I thought Kerry played well in the semi and I didn't think they lacked intensity.
You only have to look at the pressure they exerted on the Tyrone kick outs and their harrying of the Tyrone defenders.
Maybe that was the Tyrone master plan, let Kerry burn themselves out. It is what they did with Clifford, let him kick points until is leg got too tired.

Shame they didnt put some pressure on the goal scorers from Tyrone.  Kerry were shite and Tyrone aren't much better , like I've said a million times you'll see sat , our bucks will makes bits of them

Good lad Larry. It's cause of fans like you and coffee shops in mayo giving out free drinks cause use were certain you won win that cost mayothst game. Constantly hyping up teams which never make it over the line. I can guess Lee Keegan isn't smiling in mckennas face anymore tonight.

I know is probably over exhurberance after your deserved win but this post is complete horseshit in fairness. Enjoy the celebrations anyway though.

Not horseshit at all. Mayo apparently had the game won before it started. Year after year they mayo are hyped beyond believe.

David Brady put out a tweet yesterday morning saying that they would remember this day for the rest of their lives and that they would be waking up Sunday morning with medals. He never said what colour though.

An Fhairche Abu

Tyrone were worthy winners, I thought this was finally going to be Mayo's day but players like Ruane, O'Shea, O'Connor, Mullin - to name just a few - who they needed to be at the top of their game, weren't. Horan found badly wanting on the sideline in a final again in terms of personnel changes and assessing who's actually playing well and who might need to be introduced to change things.

Mayo people are defensive of this team and rightly so, have played and won on so many big days bar the final day, but surely at this stage even the locals must see that some players are not being unjustly used as lightning rods for criticism by outsiders, if players are injured or not at full tilt to the point where they can't perform then you trust the panel, otherwise don't put that out as an excuse for poor performance.

Mayo have had umpteen chances but it was another no show yesterday in the composure stakes from too many of them and all my sympathies today lie with Lee Keegan, what a player this man is and has been for the last ten years. If I had to nail down my all time greatest 15 I've seen in person, he'd walk onto it ahead of other players with multiple AI's in the back pocket, an absolute warrior again yesterday. I realise that "deserves got nothing to do with it" but he is surely the greatest player not to have the Senior Inter County medal at this stage.