Dublin 2011 to 2020 Those were the days my friend…..AKA COYBIB

Started by The Hill is Blue, August 17, 2021, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

armaghniac

The nightmare is over. Let's hope we get rid of Covid too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

whitey

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 17, 2021, 04:09:26 PM

Dublin 2011 to 2020 Ten Glorious Years.

The greatest Gaelic football team of all times. We're privileged to have lived through this era.

8 All Irelands
5 National Leagues
10 Leinster titles
Several record unbeaten runs
Dominated the All Star awards
Etc. etc. etc to name but a few ;D

Sit back and enjoy the journey  ;D

https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FTheSundayGame%2Fstatus%2F1427031942713778177%3Fs%3D08&data=04%7C01%7C%7C8a68813034974f506e8a08d96176c1da%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637647984948063771%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=evhD9QU6fqfDFGIosNKJ2xabKcYxge2qvobZX5Qvs7I%3D&reserved=0

It's a pity they let themselves down so badly on Saturday night. Wonder if they swept out the dressing room after the game?

yellowcard

I expect that history will be kind to that Dublin side and the incredible decade of dominance. I loved the colour, the atmosphere and brilliant football that the Dubs brought at the beginning but in the latter years it had become stale and boring and the style of football had gone the same way. But it shouldn't be forgotten that near the beginning they were the antithesis of Jimmy McGuinness pukeball.

I think they might struggle to win All Irelands for the next few years. I'd expect players like McCarthy, Fitzsimmons, Cooper and possibly one or two others to call it a day. You don't shell out so many leaders and winners in such a short space of time and just continue on the success. Will the other remaining top level players retain their motivation having done it all already, who knows. I would think that it is a complete rebuild job and I don't see the pool of talent coming through. They will be back again in a few years due to sheer weight of numbers but if I'm Meath, Kildare or Offaly I am now looking at having a realistic target of winning Leinster in the next 3-4 years. 

imtommygunn

The thing I found with them was that they had made football about "the process". If you look at project management and things like risk assessment that is how they played. They continually recycled the ball until they had a shooting chance which they felt they were certain to score. That is what leads to the incessant handpassing. Kick passes etc would only be given whenever they were sure the man was in the right position and they could deliver it precisely. You could see from earlier on against Meath and even Kildare despite the end scoreline that the process and their risk assessments etc were on the wane. Even boys like Fenton were kicking balls short and kicking silly wides. That would just never have happened under Gavin.

They are absolutely fantastic don't get me wrong but it had reached the point where I didn't enjoy most of their games. I just felt the above had taken some of the enjoyment out of it. I am not sure I fully enjoy Limerick either if I'm honest in the hurling as I think that is a direction they are heading.

Rossfan

The rest of us had better make the most of the next few years because they'll be back round the top again unless they go totally amateur and just select an oul panel every January and let them at it.
Even during their down period they'll likely be knocking around the AI Semis at least.
2018, 2019 and 2020 were 3 absolutely boring Championships such was their dominance.

1 Defeat in Leinster in 17 years!!
4 Defeats in AI in 12 years!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 17, 2021, 04:50:17 PM
The thing I found with them was that they had made football about "the process". If you look at project management and things like risk assessment that is how they played. They continually recycled the ball until they had a shooting chance which they felt they were certain to score. That is what leads to the incessant handpassing. Kick passes etc would only be given whenever they were sure the man was in the right position and they could deliver it precisely. You could see from earlier on against Meath and even Kildare despite the end scoreline that the process and their risk assessments etc were on the wane. Even boys like Fenton were kicking balls short and kicking silly wides. That would just never have happened under Gavin.

They are absolutely fantastic don't get me wrong but it had reached the point where I didn't enjoy most of their games. I just felt the above had taken some of the enjoyment out of it. I am not sure I fully enjoy Limerick either if I'm honest in the hurling as I think that is a direction they are heading.

Good post and I'd agree with all of that especially how everything became risk assessed and playing the percentages. There was very little room for off the cuff football and it became an era of over coaching which filtered its way down to the club game as a result of their success. Robotic, slow possession based build ups became the norm and it was time for a change. To be fair to Dessie Farrell this style of play had already taken hold during Jim Gavin's reign.

I also agree with your point about Limerick, I find them very process orientated and coach driven. Between those 2 set ups I reckon there are anywhere between 40-50 backroom team members.   

J70

Agree about the process and how boring it had become. Switched on the game at the weekend at half time in Liverpool's game, and watched the last six or seven minutes of the first half. I think the part I saw went from Dubs 9-2 up to 10-3 up. I couldn't even make it to half time before I switched it off. Just the Dubs robotically throwing the ball across midfield, holding possession for its own sake.

Honestly, I found it every bit as boring as the ultra-defensive shite from five years ago, and not that much different. In those times, teams were going back and forth across the field vainly trying to punch holes in the opposition's line across the 45. In the case of the Dubs, they had become a team which just played keep-ball once they got a few points up. Different motivations and different skill levels, but much the same in terms of actual viewing. At least in the case of the futile attempts to penetrate the 45s, teams would carry the ball into contact and turnovers and breaks would ensue. But there was zero excitement and suspense watching Dublin. It was just remorseless, dull, efficiency with the end result guaranteed months in advance. That Mayo showed the balls and the intensity and the bravery and the skill that they did to overcome it, this time, is to their absolute and unending credit (which I thankfully got to witness after Liverpool's game ended), but that doesn't change how boring Dublin games have been as a spectacle over the past few years.

Blowitupref

Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2021, 04:26:13 PM
I expect that history will be kind to that Dublin side and the incredible decade of dominance. I loved the colour, the atmosphere and brilliant football that the Dubs brought at the beginning but in the latter years it had become stale and boring and the style of football had gone the same way. But it shouldn't be forgotten that near the beginning they were the antithesis of Jimmy McGuinness pukeball.

I think they might struggle to win All Irelands for the next few years. I'd expect players like McCarthy, Fitzsimmons, Cooper and possibly one or two others to call it a day. You don't shell out so many leaders and winners in such a short space of time and just continue on the success. Will the other remaining top level players retain their motivation having done it all already, who knows. I would think that it is a complete rebuild job and I don't see the pool of talent coming through. They will be back again in a few years due to sheer weight of numbers but if I'm Meath, Kildare or Offaly I am now looking at having a realistic target of winning Leinster in the next 3-4 years.

To be fair Donegals brand of football in their 2012 All-Ireland win and 2014 semi final win against Dublin was far from puke.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2021, 05:13:50 PM

Good post and I'd agree with all of that especially how everything became risk assessed and playing the percentages. There was very little room for off the cuff football and it became an era of over coaching which filtered its way down to the club game as a result of their success. Robotic, slow possession based build ups became the norm and it was time for a change. To be fair to Dessie Farrell this style of play had already taken hold during Jim Gavin's reign.

I also agree with your point about Limerick, I find them very process orientated and coach driven. Between those 2 set ups I reckon there are anywhere between 40-50 backroom team members.

Funny on that note I was looking at a photo of the Offaly squad etc from the u20s. They had some size of back room team. There must be some investment in them now too.

Agreed on that last point - Donegal played some great stuff under mcguinness. He hadn't them fit enough to do the counter attacking in the first year hence the dirge they played. Once they got the fitness then they were good to watch. It's just that the 2011 semi final has left most people scarred and tainted it. In 2014 final Kerry weren't far off as bad as that.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2021, 05:13:50 PM

Yeah I agree.  That rugby league/sideways football would bore the hole off ye. Can't warm to Limericks Hurling either

hoynevalley

It impossible to score points off the cuff when 15 lads defending and standing in scoring zones. Unfortunately the hand pass was more effective way to draw players. When the dubs overdone the high passing in their own half this year Kerry in league and Mayo second half pressed aggressively overturning the ball. The blanket defence has been the scourge of Gaelic football.  Teams 5/6 happy to sit back despite losing

seafoid

Glad it's over for now. I was happy for the Dibs in 2011. They proceeded to tear  the arse out of it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Be remembered as a great team who won  8 All- Ireland in 10yrs, the weekend games which was pure dirt from them, doesn't shade over the great team and scoring threat they had over the years. The fact that only Mayo really put it up to them I think lifted the standard of that same Mayo Team.

TheGreatest

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 17, 2021, 04:09:26 PM

Dublin 2011 to 2020 Ten Glorious Years.

The greatest Gaelic football team of all times. We're privileged to have lived through this era.

8 All Irelands
5 National Leagues
10 Leinster titles
Several record unbeaten runs
Dominated the All Star awards
Etc. etc. etc to name but a few ;D

Sit back and enjoy the journey  ;D

https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FTheSundayGame%2Fstatus%2F1427031942713778177%3Fs%3D08&data=04%7C01%7C%7C8a68813034974f506e8a08d96176c1da%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637647984948063771%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=evhD9QU6fqfDFGIosNKJ2xabKcYxge2qvobZX5Qvs7I%3D&reserved=0

Very good, memories around for a long time, even in 20, 30, 50 years, people will be looking back in awe at the greatest team of all time, in any sport... !