Rory Beggan

Started by viperhiggins, August 02, 2021, 07:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Beggan gives all to his county, and some keyboard know alls fee they can push a button and let him know that he was to blame for costing his county an Anglo Celt. Shocking case of cyber media at its worst!

APM

Quote from: bannside on August 02, 2021, 06:41:37 PM
Beggan gives all to his county, and some keyboard know alls fee they can push a button and let him know that he was to blame for costing his county an Anglo Celt. Shocking case of cyber media at its worst!

Agreed! I watched the two games over the weekend.  I have already commented on the borefest that was Dublin v Kildare.

Monaghan Tyrone was an exciting game and the contribution Beggan made to it was immense.  He is a serious footballer and he plays like a sevens goalie. No-one mentions the ground he made up in catching Donnelly.  Beggan outran one of his own men to make that tackle. 
I think one of his points was on the '65. These are not scores that most teams can count on getting. 

His kickouts malfunctioned in the first half, but his outfielders have to take their share of the blame for that also.   

yellowcard

Beggan is probably the cleanest striker of a ball Ive ever seen off the deck from a Gaelic football goalkeeper and his accuracy with free kicks in the 45-60m range must be the highest of any goalkeeper also. He is obviously no slouch over the ground either as he made up about 10 metres on Mattie Donnelly to make that recovery tackle.

If he has a weakness it is probably that he is not always commanding under a high aerial ball a bit similar to Patton for Donegal.

Armagh18

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on August 02, 2021, 11:05:48 AM
I think as a stereotypical keeper Beegan is pretty average to be honest. He's a very limited shot stopper, he's unbelievably suspect under a high ball, very flaky temperament that can be got at, average positioning when faced
with an oncoming attacker  and his communication seems limited enough.

Admittedly he is a very solid footballer with fantastic accuracy off the ground. His distribution can be phenomenal, but again I think when put under pressure this cracks also.

Overall I'd take the likes of Morgan/Patton/Hughes over him in Ulster.
His right foot is a freak of nature. Morgan can be got at every bit as much if not more than Beggan. Patton is class but errors in him too, Hughes is improving but not at the others level yet.

befair

Beggan is superb; matched the Cluxton template and then augmented it

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 02, 2021, 09:35:47 PM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on August 02, 2021, 11:05:48 AM
I think as a stereotypical keeper Beegan is pretty average to be honest. He's a very limited shot stopper, he's unbelievably suspect under a high ball, very flaky temperament that can be got at, average positioning when faced
with an oncoming attacker  and his communication seems limited enough.

Admittedly he is a very solid footballer with fantastic accuracy off the ground. His distribution can be phenomenal, but again I think when put under pressure this cracks also.

Overall I'd take the likes of Morgan/Patton/Hughes over him in Ulster.
His right foot is a freak of nature. Morgan can be got at every bit as much if not more than Beggan. Patton is class but errors in him too, Hughes is improving but not at the others level yet.

I think Morgan has certainly matured over the years but would still be bracketed as flaky. But in relation to the other core aspects of being a keeper he is well behind, its only that freak of nature right foot that hides those frailties ( although that right peg is a wand direct from Olivanders ). A good friend who would tog out for another inter county side in Ulster (not Tyrone),  told me how the openly talked about/tried to target him and actually got success from it, yet they could never get to grip with his kicking

viperhiggins

Quote from: befair on August 02, 2021, 10:15:57 PM
Beggan is superb; matched the Cluxton template and then augmented it

How?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Beggan deserved that all Star
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

viperhiggins

Quote from: seafoid on August 03, 2021, 01:23:41 PM
Beggan deserved that all Star

Completely irrelevant comment

From the Bunker

The best goalies are boring.

Clarke and Cluxton come to mind!

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2021, 03:31:25 PM

They all have some weaknesses - they're human after all. Cluxton could of got rattled when he was younger, Clarke's kick outs weren't great but I always thought Mayo had no real strategy for kick outs to help him out.

Things will continue to develop in this way for keepers, the days of the good shot stopper is gone for a while. Attacks more often than not end up 2 on one so the keeper is stranded anyway. As the game stays possession based the keeper needs to help out. At county level they still need to be a keeper than can play. Morgan is a good example - a soccer keeper who can play midfield at a decent level. When he's tested he can still do the basics back there but can carry and pass the ball comfortably. They shouldn't have to take frees - doesn't say much for your forwards. I remember getting dogs abuse hitting 45s in 99 from goals but less players hit dead balls now so that's ok.

It's came a long way for keepers since the 80s, I remember club keepers in div 2 & 3 that couldn't catch, save or kick the ball out at all. In hindsight they'd have been better without one altogether. The 90s brought the big kickers in the rugby boots - Mickey McVeigh and Finbar McConnell the 2 main ones I remember but Cluxton changed that to more placed kicks and now we have the 2 boys on Saturday and Charlie Smith running down the pitch setting up and taking scores. At club level it's going to be a decent defender or midfielder but it'll change again. Probably when someone concedes 6 in one half because no one covered back.

Armagh18

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on August 03, 2021, 04:32:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2021, 03:31:25 PM

They all have some weaknesses - they're human after all. Cluxton could of got rattled when he was younger, Clarke's kick outs weren't great but I always thought Mayo had no real strategy for kick outs to help him out.

Things will continue to develop in this way for keepers, the days of the good shot stopper is gone for a while. Attacks more often than not end up 2 on one so the keeper is stranded anyway. As the game stays possession based the keeper needs to help out. At county level they still need to be a keeper than can play. Morgan is a good example - a soccer keeper who can play midfield at a decent level. When he's tested he can still do the basics back there but can carry and pass the ball comfortably. They shouldn't have to take frees - doesn't say much for your forwards. I remember getting dogs abuse hitting 45s in 99 from goals but less players hit dead balls now so that's ok.

It's came a long way for keepers since the 80s, I remember club keepers in div 2 & 3 that couldn't catch, save or kick the ball out at all. In hindsight they'd have been better without one altogether. The 90s brought the big kickers in the rugby boots - Mickey McVeigh and Finbar McConnell the 2 main ones I remember but Cluxton changed that to more placed kicks and now we have the 2 boys on Saturday and Charlie Smith running down the pitch setting up and taking scores. At club level it's going to be a decent defender or midfielder but it'll change again. Probably when someone concedes 6 in one half because no one covered back.
Probably after Cliffords hat trick against Tyrone in few weeks.