Mayo v Dublin: AISF21 (Saturday 14th August)

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 01, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo or Dublin?

Mayo
36 (50%)
Dublin
36 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: August 14, 2021, 05:34:03 PM

Farrandeelin

Mayo need to make sure that old habits die. Can't let in a couple of goals and be chasing the game from there on in. We need to see a second half performance from the Galway game for the full 70+ minutes if we are to overcome Dublin and it's very hard to see that happening.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 03, 2021, 03:10:29 PM
Mayo need to make sure that old habits die. Can't let in a couple of goals and be chasing the game from there on in. We need to see a second half performance from the Galway game for the full 70+ minutes if we are to overcome Dublin and it's very hard to see that happening.

We might as well stay at home so
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

From the Bunker

Quote from: galwayman on August 03, 2021, 03:15:22 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2021, 12:05:19 AM
Quote from: MayoBuck on August 02, 2021, 11:57:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 02, 2021, 11:45:55 PM
Jez, there is a lot getting carried away here. Many talking about Dublin's demise, Mayo quick re-emergence.

I've never heard so much written about a county like Mayo that has been propping up Dublin since 2013. Dublin must love this! Mayo ran Dublin close. Dublin hate playing Mayo. Dublin fear Mayo. Dublin respect Mayo. Only Mayo give Dublin a game. Blah de Blah! It has to be one of the most one sided rivalries where the perception is that both teams are equals.

It's amazing how rose tinted the glasses are for our own county giving us exaggerated hope. Mayo are moving in the right direction, but replacing the golden bunch of 2013-17 won't happen over night and maybe will never happen. Dublin still have the mainstay on the pitch to eek out another AI title. They are definitely still ahead of Mayo.

It's funny how perceptions are. We beat Galway by 6 points and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Dublin beat Kildare by 8 points and were never in any danger of losing yet they are stuttering and on the decline.

Dublin beat Kildare by 2-23 - 1-17 in 2017.

Dublin beat Kildare by 0-20 - 1-09 on Sunday

Was anybody saying Dublin were in decline in 2017?
Ah now come on - compare the Dublin squad of 2017 with the one of today.
The 2017 version was clearly superior. Look at the bounce they received from the guys they were able to spring from the bench.
Connolly, McMenamin, Brogan, Flynn, Scully & Costello were the 6 subs used in the final.
The current squad is clearly weaker.
That's not to say they aren't capable of winning the AI mind - but there isn't any doubt their squad is considerably weaker than it was.

The subs from that final in 2017 was:

Subs: B Brogan (0-05) for Rock (24, black card), S Carthy (0-01) for Scully (47), D Daly for McMahon (48), K McManamon for Andrews (51), D Byrne for O'Sullivan (58), B Howard (0-01) for Fenton (67).

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2021, 05:24:51 PM
Jez, there is a lot getting carried away here. Many talking about Dublin's demise, Mayo quick re-emergence.

I've never heard so much written about a county like Mayo that has been propping up Dublin since 2013. Dublin must love this! Mayo ran Dublin close. Dublin hate playing Mayo. Dublin fear Mayo. Dublin respect Mayo. Only Mayo give Dublin a game. Blah de Blah! It has to be one of the most one sided rivalries where the perception is that both teams are equals.

It's amazing how rose tinted the glasses are for our own county giving us exaggerated hope. Mayo are moving in the right direction, but replacing the golden bunch of 2013-17 won't happen over night and maybe will never happen. Dublin still have the mainstay on the pitch to eek out another AI title. They are definitely still ahead of Mayo.

It's funny how perceptions are. We beat Galway by 6 points and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Dublin beat Kildare by 8 points and were never in any danger of losing yet they are stuttering and on the decline.

The 2017 version was clearly superior. Look at the bounce they received from the guys they were able to spring from the bench.
Connolly, McMenamin, Brogan, Flynn, Scully & Costello were the 6 subs used in the final.
That's not to say they aren't capable of winning the AI mind - but there isn't any doubt their squad is considerably weaker than it was.

Subs: B Brogan (0-05) for Rock (24, black card), S Carthy (0-01) for Scully (47), D Daly for McMahon (48), K McManamon for Andrews (51), D Byrne for O'Sullivan (58), B Howard (0-01) for Fenton (67).

Yes, clearly superior

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2021, 01:10:47 PM
Thirty one counties would love to see it but Dublin still look the most likely winner of this match.

I'm not so sure about that. I would say most neutrals want a good final more than anything and, whether we like it or not, Dublin v Kerry is a very natural final pairing. I think that's the final most people want to see and therefore they want Dublin and Kerry to win their semis.

Armagh18

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 03, 2021, 08:38:00 PM
Thirty one counties would love to see it but Dublin still look the most likely winner of this match.

I'm not so sure about that. I would say most neutrals want a good final more than anything and, whether we like it or not, Dublin v Kerry is a very natural final pairing. I think that's the final most people want to see and therefore they want Dublin and Kerry to win their semis.
I highly doubt too many neutrals will ever back Dublin.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 03, 2021, 08:49:37 PM

A fair swathe of Connacht might.

larryin89

you should meet some of my rossie friends . 100% wont mayo to lose every time .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BennyCake

Quote from: larryin89 on August 03, 2021, 08:55:18 PM

Would Roscommon be the most anti-Mayo?

Armagh18

Well them boyos wouldnt really be neutral would they? That's like saying an Armagh man is a neutral when Tyrone are playing ;)

galwayman

I was referring to the subs they were able to bring off the bench in the All Ireland final in 2017.
The guys they can bring on in 2021 won't be anywhere near that standard.

Mayo4Sam14

Apparently the Hill is going to be open?

How in the name of mental gymnastics does it make sense to only allow 24k but open the hill?

Going to be impossible to get tickets as it is, might as well just split the 24k between Dubs and sponsors...

Crete Boom

Quote from: BennyCake on August 03, 2021, 09:07:21 PM

Would Roscommon be the most anti-Mayo?
I would say Galway are the most anti-Mayo, Rossies and Sligo a close second behind them. Leitrim seem to save all their hate for the Rossies!! I would say out of the 5 Connacht counties Mayo would garner the least amount of support from the others when Connacht champions.

maigheo

Not that it matters all that much but these are not the subs from the 2017 final

Farrandeelin

Tickets for this game are to be sold in pods of 2,3,4 or 5 again.

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 03, 2021, 11:55:42 PM
Apparently the Hill is going to be open?

How in the name of mental gymnastics does it make sense to only allow 24k but open the hill?

Going to be impossible to get tickets as it is, might as well just split the 24k between Dubs and sponsors...

Yes the Hill will be open. €15 of a difference in ticket price.