The drop off of youngsters playing Gaelic Football

Started by From the Bunker, July 18, 2021, 12:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Back in my day we played/trained  school matches during the season, club, we trained hurling football and played all grades and as a juvenile I was lucky to be on county juvenile teams. On some of those juvenile teams we played under 14/16 and minor and not a thought was given.

I played into my mid  forties, why is it now, when we have better pitches, better coaching, better facilities that kids are playing too much? I forgot to add to that list, rioting during the summer months!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2021, 01:40:52 PM
Back in my day we played/trained  school matches during the season, club, we trained hurling football and played all grades and as a juvenile I was lucky to be on county juvenile teams. On some of those juvenile teams we played under 14/16 and minor and not a thought was given.

I played into my mid  forties, why is it now, when we have better pitches, better coaching, better facilities that kids are playing too much? I forgot to add to that list, rioting during the summer months!

At what distance could you hit the "Moonman". That was a real marker of athletic ability back in the day

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 20, 2021, 02:40:24 PM

At what distance could you hit the "Moonman". That was a real marker of athletic ability back in the day

Half a street away, rubber bullets lost their power a bit, the bin lids weren't just for banging, multi purpose shields, bit like captain American, though when ya flung them they never came back!

Those nights were agility training, hopping over walls, railings, sprinting through burnt out buildings gave us great balance
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2021, 03:18:25 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 20, 2021, 02:40:24 PM

ha ha, sounds familiar

Half a street away, rubber bullets lost their power a bit, the bin lids weren't just for banging, multi purpose shields, bit like captain American, though when ya flung them they never came back!

Those nights were agility training, hopping over walls, railings, sprinting through burnt out buildings gave us great balance

larryin89

"At the end of the day a good competitive mentally needs to be instilled into the youth. Of course some of the stories you hear are ridiculous but you have to put yourself in the parents shoes, every parent wants to be the father/mother of the next CON, David Clifford or Michael Conroy"

Mickey C was a decent footballer and is probably still remembered by older kids around Irishtown/balllindine area but in the county superstar context you're speaking above, nah . (You mean Tommy C ) ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .