China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I was listening to something on the radio this evening which was to that effect. Basically testing becomes meaningless so if you're sick you stay off work and that is it.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2022, 08:47:15 PM
This is not an end state. The process of dominant variant is random. The next one could be far worse.

It is an end state.

Omicron will reach pretty much everyone.

Therefore everyone - even the anti-vax clowns - will have a degree of immunity.

So, just like the common flus, people will get it and fight it off. Current mortality rate for the vaccinated is similar ball park to other flus (~2 per 100,000).

Yes, covid-19 will change - just like flu's change year to year - and the annual flu vaccine will be adapted to incorporate it.

The spanish flu went away because it became weaker over time.
European flus didn't kill everyone in south america when first introduced as people developed immunity.

Covid-19 will be both of the above.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 09, 2022, 08:50:31 PM
I was listening to something on the radio this evening which was to that effect. Basically testing becomes meaningless so if you're sick you stay off work and that is it.

Its already meaningless.

The govt just don't want to admit that as it would mean admitting they've totally lost control.
i usse an speelchekor

lenny

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 09, 2022, 08:42:41 PM
Yeah I've been thinking how to we get to the other end of this ? Particularly in the workplace when people have to self isolate either as contacts or positive themselves. Reduce isolation period ? Is that a risk as you may still be infectious. But it's apparent now that thousands in the workforce, especially NHS are being taken out of action and are not sick, or unable to work in the normal sense. I don't have the answers, just curious what people think is the way out ?

We're a long way from the other end yet. What isn't known yet is what are the long term effects of getting covid. It is a vascular disease ie it gets into the blood stream and travels around the body. People who get long covid seem to get lots of micro clots all around the body. There are some scientists who say that these micro clots or stickiness of the blood is a risk for everyone who gets covid. That leads to a heightened risk of heart disease or stokes in the months after covid, even from mild or asymptomatic covid. Those long tem effects have yet to play out.

Last Man

Which blood markers are indicative of these risk factors? Having an extended blood panel carried out in the next few weeks.

sid waddell

Quote from: lenny on January 09, 2022, 08:57:36 PM
Yeah I've been thinking how to we get to the other end of this ? Particularly in the workplace when people have to self isolate either as contacts or positive themselves. Reduce isolation period ? Is that a risk as you may still be infectious. But it's apparent now that thousands in the workforce, especially NHS are being taken out of action and are not sick, or unable to work in the normal sense. I don't have the answers, just curious what people think is the way out ?

We're a long way from the other end yet. What isn't known yet is what are the long term effects of getting covid. It is a vascular disease ie it gets into the blood stream and travels around the body. People who get long covid seem to get lots of micro clots all around the body. There are some scientists who say that these micro clots or stickiness of the blood is a risk for everyone who gets covid. That leads to a heightened risk of heart disease or stokes in the months after covid, even from mild or asymptomatic covid. Those long tem effects have yet to play out.
You'd wonder if all the shouting and bullshit about the supposed "long term" effects of vaccines wasn't a concerted ploy to distract attention from the real long term effects - of Covid itself, and of the healthcare denied to people because healthcare systems were snowed under with Covid.

In the US, a CEO of a big life insurance company has said the death rate of people aged 18-64 is 40% above normal. In South Africa and in the UK, the death figures are rising. Not in the same way they did last year, but rising all the same. There are pretty reasonable grounds to expect an epidemic of chronic illness for years to come and elevated death rates for the foreseeable future.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/07/true-number-covid-deaths-us-likely-undercounted-experts

imtommygunn

I was reading a thread on Twitter where someone was saying about the rate of heart attacks in young footballers has went up significantly and it's clearly because of the vaccine. No thought for a if it were true and b if it were then maybe the thing the vaccine is trying to avoid could be a problem itself. No, must be the vaccine.

Blowitupref

Quote from: lenny on January 09, 2022, 08:57:36 PM

There is also long flu. Covid has created that window of opportunity to focus on how long it takes to completely recover from an infection.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Sportacus on January 09, 2022, 08:09:16 PM
It turns out vaccines/boosters work.
Is it the vaccine/booster making omicron less deadly or just the fact that it is a more transmissible but less deadly regardless of vaccination?

Seems that vaccine/boosters are more or less useless at stopping the spread of omicron at this stage.

Armagh18

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 09, 2022, 08:48:12 PM

Why bother to isolate when 90% of your co-workers have had it in the past few weeks?

We'll reach that point fairly shortly I'd think.
Seems to be that everyone you speak to these days either has covid or has had it in the past few weeks.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 09, 2022, 08:50:31 PM
Jaysus hopefully we get to that stage soon.

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 10, 2022, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on January 09, 2022, 08:09:16 PM
It turns out vaccines/boosters work.
Is it the vaccine/booster making omicron less deadly or just the fact that it is a more transmissible but less deadly regardless of vaccination?

Seems that vaccine/boosters are more or less useless at stopping the spread of omicron at this stage.

The stats on how the vaccinated and unvaccinated are respectively faring should help you out in answering your question.

oakleaflad

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 09, 2022, 09:58:54 PM
I was reading a thread on Twitter where someone was saying about the rate of heart attacks in young footballers has went up significantly and it's clearly because of the vaccine. No thought for a if it were true and b if it were then maybe the thing the vaccine is trying to avoid could be a problem itself. No, must be the vaccine.
Saw a PT spouting this when Eriksen collapsed at the Euro's. Turns out he didn't have the vaccine (or covid).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 10, 2022, 12:04:32 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 09, 2022, 09:58:54 PM
Saw a PT spouting this when Eriksen collapsed at the Euro's. Turns out he didn't have the vaccine (or covid).

Doctor PT!! They completely lost their shit on fb during this pandemic, not that I'd use one but I certainly wouldn't recommend some of the clampits I've read on FB!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea