Power struggle within Croke Park?

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2018, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Listening to John Horan this morning, I got a sense he recognises which way the wind is blowing in terms of the sentiments of the broader GAA membership, and the level of disillusionment out there.
He was very firm in his stance that Conleth's will be Kildare's home venue should they make the Super 8s and he also wants to do away with Summer concerts.
GAA HQ needs to fight back against the 'Grab All Association' trope (if you ever use this term unironically, you are a moron by the way), and I think maybe the DG and Chairman see an opportunity here on a number of fronts, including the club v county issues.

If there are two sides to this potential struggle, I would guess that the DG & Chairman would be in one corner, with the high-level committee men (the lifers) in the other corner.
The CCCC have just had a bit of manners put on them, and they don't like it.
Tom Ryan did a lot of work behind the scenes to resolve this by all accounts, so is there a sense within the CCCC that the DG undermined them?
It's easy to assume that the professional staff are always the bad guys, whose only concern is maximising revenue, but maybe the bigger issue is the power that resides in the various committees and their resistance to change?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

#Newbridgeornowhere was a line in the sand.  The hierarchy is too distant.  The fans are pissed off.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mup

I'm hoping the GAA fans have had enough and the #newbridgeornowhere campaign will be the catalyst for further unrest.

For too long the GAA have been doing their own thing and have been giving no consideration to those outside the chosen few. We are currently seeing the results of their 'financial strategy'.

It's refreshing to hear our president come out and say what he did this morning. The polar opposite to what dinosaurs like Nicky Brennan and Sean Kelly said who basically stated that Kildare should told as they are told. I hope he backs up his words with actions.

manfromdelmonte

Where was he all last week when it was kicking off?

Jinxy

I've always felt it was too easy to blame the 'money men' in Croke Park for all of the association's problems.
That gives a free pass to the fellas who hold the real power in provincial councils and national committees etc.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Jinxy on July 02, 2018, 10:47:28 AM
I've always felt it was too easy to blame the 'money men' in Croke Park for all of the association's problems.
That gives a free pass to the fellas who hold the real power in provincial councils and national committees etc.
The likes of that p***k in his palace in Bekan

omagh_gael

Fair play to Horan this morning. Like others have stated he needs to back this up now. There'll be some craic if Kildare get to super 8s and don't get their home venue.

Jinxy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 02, 2018, 10:46:47 AM
Where was he all last week when it was kicking off?

If he was involved at all, it was working behind the scenes with Tom Ryan to resolve the issue.
Do you think he should have said something publicly in the middle of it all, and if so, what?

Jinxy

The exact quote from Horan this morning.

"I'm sorry that such a situation developed between a council and a county board, but I'm glad that we were able to find a resolution, we've learnt something from it. Kildare will be able to play Super 8 games in Newbridge."

Rossfan

I suspect Horan and Ryan stepped in behind the scenes and called the parties together to sort things out .
Better way of doing things than megaphone stuff.
I understand they both helped ensure the Connacht Final was held in Hyde together with a lot of diplomacy by influential Rossies.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Turning down all summer concerts out of hand would be madness. Horan should look to help fix the money gap in preparing senior IC teams and not be looking for easy soundbites to paper over that chasm.

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2018, 11:02:53 AM
I suspect Horan and Ryan stepped in behind the scenes and called the parties together to sort things out .
I understand they both helped ensure the Connacht Final was held in Hyde together with a lot of diplomacy by influential Rossies.

Paddy Joe?  ;)

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 02, 2018, 11:08:45 AM

Paddy Joe?  ;)

The one that's on the CCCC more likely. And Kevin Mc..

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 11:10:07 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 02, 2018, 11:08:45 AM

Paddy Joe?  ;)

The one that's on the CCCC more likely. And Kevin Mc..

Paddy Joe should be on the CCCC.

Rossfan

Wrong on the 2nd one anyway Syfīn.
His role was the outburst after the Leitrim game which seemed to get got some backs up.
I won't name names but a lot of work was done.
The backlash was McGoverns piece in the match programme and his comments at the Cup presentation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM