Ladies football

Started by ExiledGael, May 07, 2007, 03:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay in to watch ladies football?

Yes
65 (52%)
No
60 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 123

ExiledGael

For the National League there was a new thread for every match on the board, running into countless pages.
The ladies finals were yesterday and nobody mentions it, does anyone actually give a shit?
As bad as it is to say I don't, unless I know some of the players involved, and suspect most people on here would be similar!
Would you ever go to watch a ladies match?

haze

The thing is about Ladies football is that it is decades behind men's football in terms of skill levels. Now there are exceptions in every county but as the game is still relatively new and growing fast, i think for me anyway it could be another 20 years before it becomes a very popular among the viewing public.

I have no doubt it will though.

prewtna

wouldnt bother going. when mayo ladies were winning all-irelands for fun i wasnt going either. dunno if its my lack of interest or lack of promotion/advertising from the gaa.

the games are slow and uninteresting. having said that stick cora staunton on a pitch in any part of the country and id say she would give most chb's a game of it.

ExiledGael

They say Cora Staunton is the outstanding player in the ladies game, but realistically would she hold her own at decent club level against the men even?
Physical battles aside

prewtna

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 07, 2007, 03:58:02 PM
They say Cora Staunton is the outstanding player in the ladies game, but realistically would she hold her own at decent club level against the men even?
Physical battles aside

ya id say she probably would. down in mayo she has a reputation as being a very tough competitor and we can all see on TG4 her scoring exploits. she might be caught for speed tho.

Jinxy

Lads, it's a bit harsh to judge the worth of ladies football on how well the players would do in the mens game. I enjoy watching the games to be honest (goalies are always brutal though) and I think they deserve our respect for the effort and time they put in.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syd The Sailor

They should stick to making the tea & sandwiches after the games
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

The squinted eye

Its hard for them to get news reports on the papers up against the mens as the interest just isnt there.

However their website is second to none www.ladiesgaelic.ie

The gaa.ie could learn a lot off them, pictures from all their games and news stories have a lot of local angles on them instead of just catering for the intercounty stars

inthemaking

if anyone care to watch a ladies match i can tell you that the skill levels are indeed very high at all grades. while watching my younger sisters matches i see some very interesting physical battles. ok because they may be smaller in proportion to men does not mean they cant take a hit. none of us would stand up to a man twice our size so why should they???

Any craic

See short videos from today's Ulster Ladies Finals in Celtic Park, Fermanagh scoring a goal against Down..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKSXJ1ABvmw&feature=youtu.be and Monaghan's goal effort against Tyrone clearly crossing the line here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcxiqGyYpw&feature=youtu.be

Any craic

Video: Seamus 'Banty' McEneaney is helping out Monaghan Ladies in their quest for All Ireland glory. See an interview after yesterday's Ulster SFC Final win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcBQMlPBfR8&feature=youtu.be

fearglasmor

Theres lots of mens football and hurling that I wouldn't pay in to watch, so it would have nothing to do with it being ladies. Firstly it would depend on whether I had any personal interest in the game, and secondly the quality of what was on offer. Without comparing it to the mens game, what you see on telly looks to be good entertaining competitive sport.

Denn Forever

Again Ladies football try  things out.  Be interesting to have the Ref's view when they call a free.

RefCam makes debut for TG4 Ladies SFC
15 July 2013

Cavan referee Maggie Farrelly displays the RefCam at Croke Park
RefCam makes debut for TG4 Ladies SFC

At the launch of the 2013 Ladies Football Championships it was announced that RefCam will be used for the first time during the 40th TG4 Senior Ladies Football Championship.

RefCam will be pilot by TG4 throughout the championship and will be debuted in the Senior Championship Qualifier in July 27th.

The Refcam is a head mounted unit with the camera above the ear connected to a transmitter on a light weight vest that is worn under the standard jersey. The picture is then available live to the viewer at home to give a refs-eye view of the action.

It is hoped that the new piece of technology will be a hugely valuable piece of technology for the development and education of referees and has already proven to be a huge success in other codes.

RefCam will be used at the 40th Ladies All Ireland Finals due to be played in Croke Park on September 29th. - See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=196660#sthash.CNrbfPMp.dpuf
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Syferus

It's a very well-managed code. The mens' game is only starting to catch up with things like the stoppable clock and there's little doubt we'll see ref cams in the mens' game soon enough too.

Billys Boots

Longford are All-Ireland (Junior) champions - well done the Larries.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...