Car Ferry

Started by bennydorano, July 31, 2016, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Been plenty of times on the Ferry to watch the Super Celts but never took a car, so a Ferry Virgin. 

Looking at prices for Dublin-Holyhead it looks dear. Who is the best company to book with considering the strength of the €€€ at present - it is presumably influencing the cost in my searches (in NI)?  I assume it's best to book early like with the airlines?

T Fearon

Took car over to Cairnryan once on a ferry.Dont know what the price was,it was a competition win (again) ;D

BennyHarp

If travel a couple of times a year from Holyhead to Dublin and back. There isn't a huge difference between Stena and Irish Ferries as they generally seem to have the same offers on. The quick ferry is decent in good weather but is a pain in the hole in the winter as it's often not running and you find yourself shifted to the long ferry anyway. Since we had the kids we always book early to get a cabin which is great and worth the extra €50 or so to be able to relax. The road to and from Holyhead has much improved since I first started doing the trip. Liiverpool - Belfast is an option but it's about 10 hours.
That was never a square ball!!

bennydorano

Cheers. Cabins? I was assuming park the car below & mill about the bar / deck area above??

BennyHarp

Quote from: bennydorano on July 31, 2016, 10:33:51 PM
Cheers. Cabins? I was assuming park the car below & mill about the bar / deck area above??

Aye, that's what we did initially until we got a cabin during the night sailing once and it was great. Just made the journey so much more comfortable, especially with young kids. Still free to mill around but somewhere safe and easy to keep the stuff and relax.
That was never a square ball!!

Crumpet

I always price http://nutttravel.com/ Usually works out cheaper than going direct.

tc_manchester

With the Holyhead - Dublin ferry I've found that Irish Ferries are more likely to go in the rougher weather. In a bad sea the fast Irish Ferries ferry is a nightmare. The most comfortable is the Stena Superfast X - it's 3.5 hours but has kids entertainment and a big family area which is seperated from the main areas. Useful if you're travelling with kids or not

Orior

I took the Belfast to Liverpool ferry last year, sailing during the day. Really enjoyed it, plenty to see at the start and end of the journey, and then you need a good book or tablet for in between.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Lecale2

I always found this site the best value. Need to book early though.

http://www.aferry.co.uk/