Meath Selector calls for all GAA Coaches to have official qualifications

Started by BallyhaiseMan, April 30, 2007, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Farrell calls for cowboys to be rooted out
29 April 2007

Top Meath football coach and current Royal County selector Dudley Farrell has called for it to be mandatory for anyone involved in GAA coaching to have an officially recognised qualification.

Farrell, one of three full-time coaches in the Royal County, says there are a lot of "cowboy coaches" operating within the Association.

"Not having proper people over these teams, that has to be rectified," says Farrell.

"We are happy with the management of most of the teams here now. I think we have to go down the road where anyone involved in coaching in the GAA must have a qualification.

"There are a lot of cowboy coaches out there. I've seen coaches sending lads on laps and laps and they are a health hazard.

whats everyones opinion on this? id support it,with a hell of alot of coaches at Senior Level getting anywere between 85 to 100 Euro per session,  Ive seen coaches who didnt have a clue over the years alright.

full back

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 30, 2007, 11:06:16 AM
Farrell calls for cowboys to be rooted out
29 April 2007

Top Meath football coach and current Royal County selector Dudley Farrell has called for it to be mandatory for anyone involved in GAA coaching to have an officially recognised qualification.

Farrell, one of three full-time coaches in the Royal County, says there are a lot of "cowboy coaches" operating within the Association.

"Not having proper people over these teams, that has to be rectified," says Farrell.

"We are happy with the management of most of the teams here now. I think we have to go down the road where anyone involved in coaching in the GAA must have a qualification.

"There are a lot of cowboy coaches out there. I've seen coaches sending lads on laps and laps and they are a health hazard.

whats everyones opinion on this? id support it,with a hell of alot of coaches at Senior Level getting anywere between 85 to 100 Euro per session,  Ive seen coaches who didnt have a clue over the years alright.

Is Dudley looking a bit of work?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

I've heard of a fool giving an U-12 squad a "fitness test" which involved basically running laps until you dropped out as the other eejit selector sat with the stopwatch timing them.

Jinxy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 30, 2007, 11:22:43 AM
I've heard of a fool giving an U-12 squad a "fitness test" which involved basically running laps until you dropped out as the other eejit selector sat with the stopwatch timing them.

That builds fighting spirit and mental strength! Did you not see that film "300"? :o

stephenite

And once the "professional" qualifications are gained they'll demand the appropriate income?? I know most are on a good wedge as it is, albeit under the counter but I'd be worried that this calls for this sort of thing could lead to a Gaelic Managers Association of sorts. Bad idea to my mind purely from the aspect of potential implications

magpie seanie

QuoteDid you not see that film "300"?

No, must go to it. Never thought of looking at it for coaching tips. Must actually arrange for all the club coaches to go. We'll ate all opponents without salt after!

Jinxy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 30, 2007, 11:48:54 AM
QuoteDid you not see that film "300"?

No, must go to it. Never thought of looking at it for coaching tips. Must actually arrange for all the club coaches to go. We'll ate all opponents without salt after!

It's required pre-match viewing up in Tyrone. Although they take it a bit too literally.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteIs Dudley looking a bit of work?

No, he's managing a division two club iun Cavan, Knockbride, as well as being a Meath selector.

And Jinxy, you're from Meath and you're slagging another county about being rough bastards? I give up
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Jinxy

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on April 30, 2007, 12:09:44 PM
QuoteIs Dudley looking a bit of work?

No, he's managing a division two club iun Cavan, Knockbride, as well as being a Meath selector.

And Jinxy, you're from Meath and you're slagging another county about being rough bastards? I give up

We get along just fine at club level.