cavanmaniac

Just got texted the Cavan team.

1. James Reilly
2. M Cahill
3. Gunner Brady  :o
4. Chesty Reilly
5. Forde
6. Hannon  :o
7. Fannin (think it's Fannin here, the text said Forde again so assume they meant Fannin)
8. McCabe
9. Mulvey
10. Cullivan
11. McKeever
12. Flanagan
13. Jayo
14. Pierson
15. Johnston

I can only assume there will be late changes before throw-in because that is one weird-looking team. Not quite sure how to react. Gunner at fulback? Hannon at centre half? No Walsh? No Sean Brady? No Lyng?

I can only assume that Gunner will swap with Hannon before throw-in and Forde will switch to centre half and Gunner to wing back. Perhaps Walsh or Galligan or some of the others above to start also.

Glad to see though that they have realised that Forde is no full back and Chesty not an intercounty standard centre half either.

We are asking alot of the middle eight with only McCabe and Mulvey recognised fielders with a bit of height and presence. We seriously lack inches in the forward six, even Cullivan is a bit on the short side and for that reason I wouldn't have Flanagan there from the start, he's just too small.

You have to trust that the management team know what they're doing and base this on training and some sort of tactical plan but I'm a bit befuddled by it all and if that is the genuine team I'd be more concerned than confident going into the game.

ONeill

Interested to see whether McCabe starts around the middle or is employed on the edge of the square with the relatively small Breffni forwards feeding off him. Lyng is a fine option on the bench if needed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Blue06

Cavan team on Indo this morning.  Slightly different to yours Maniac.

1. J Reilly
2. P Brady
3. E Reilly
4. M Cahill
5. M Hannon
6. A Forde
7. R Flannagan
8. D McCabe
9. L Mulvey
10. R Cullivan
11. M McKeever
12. Larry Reilly
13. Jayo
14. G Pierson
15. S Johnston

Surprising to say the least.  Larry making his first start of the year.
The 6 backs probably have nothing to do with positions, I am guessing each is being assigned a specific Down attacker.

Gallagher, Lyng, Fannin, Sean Brady & Walsh all options on the bench.

No1

1.  M. McVeigh
2.  D. McCartan
3.  D. Rooney
4.  K. McGuigan
5.  R. Murtagh
6.  B. Grant
7.  J. Clarke
8.  D. Gordon
9.  J. Lynch
10.  J. McGovern
11.  A. Carr
12.  R. Sexton
13.  D. Hughes
14.  P. Downey
15.  B. Coulter

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence but best of luck to each and everyone of them.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Cloc Mor on May 09, 2007, 07:23:22 PM
The Down Minor team should be quite strong this year, though no Martin Clarke's in their squad.  They had a decent run in the Minor League.  With the Down schools very quiet in the MacRory this year only St Columban's Kilkeel did anything in Ulster.  These lads are still under 16 though and may not figure.  Notable absentees from the squad would be the Abbey MacRory captain Daniel Clarke and players on both the Abbey and College MacRory squads - yet the son of one of the selectors, Ross Mc Garry, who is still under 16 and Paddy O' Rourke's lad made the cut.  Both decisions smack of favouritism and were not made for the good of the team.

I would like to think that the team with forwards like Ben O'Reilly, Sean Murdock and Paul Mc Polin.  No doubt they will be run very close and by all accounts this is a very useful Cavan side.  Looks like this game will go down to the wire.  Should be quite a tussle.

Also Brian King from Bryansford - picked at left corner back on College All Star team, very strange he doesnt figure.

cavan4ever

Maniac did u get that team from some of the players?  That could be the team that's starting and the indo one a dummy team  ???

thewobbler

QuoteDoesn't exactly inspire confidence but best of luck to each and everyone of them.

Couldn't have put it better myself No.1.

All told, that only leaves six survivors from POR's team for this game last year - McCartan, Grant, Clarke, Gordon, Hughes and Coulter, with only McCartan and Gordon in the same positions. We did ask for change I suppose!

Personally I don't see how our full-back line will have the pace for Cavan's full-forwards. And with two natural forwards in our half-back line, a whole pile of support most likely won't be forthcoming from there.

We really, really need to dominate midfield.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Blue06 on May 10, 2007, 07:56:42 AM
Cavan team on Indo this morning.  Slightly different to yours Maniac.

1. J Reilly
2. P Brady
3. E Reilly
4. M Cahill
5. M Hannon
6. A Forde
7. R Flannagan
8. D McCabe
9. L Mulvey
10. R Cullivan
11. M McKeever
12. Larry Reilly
13. Jayo
14. G Pierson
15. S Johnston

Surprising to say the least.  Larry making his first start of the year.
The 6 backs probably have nothing to do with positions, I am guessing each is being assigned a specific Down attacker.

Gallagher, Lyng, Fannin, Sean Brady & Walsh all options on the bench.

Well I suppose we did hope for a plan B and one seems to be on the cards if that team is to believed. I am surprised there is no Lyng. Larry is supposed to be flying in training and played very well in a challenge againts longford  so that doesn't surprise me. The weakness is our lack of size in the half back and half forward lines and a really strange decisiion if Paul Brady will play half back. It might work if down play a 2 man FF line though. Chesty at FB is a big chance, why wasn't he tried there in the league?

The other thing is that in this day and age you never know what team will actually line out and in what positions on the day, although this management team haven't been at that messing in the league to date.

Uladh

Quote from: No1 on May 10, 2007, 08:08:47 AM
1.  M. McVeigh
2.  D. McCartan
3.  D. Rooney
4.  K. McGuigan
5.  R. Murtagh
6.  B. Grant
7.  J. Clarke

8.  D. Gordon
9.  J. Lynch
10.  J. McGovern
11.  A. Carr
12.  R. Sexton
13.  D. Hughes
14.  P. Downey
15.  B. Coulter

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence but best of luck to each and everyone of them.

It may not be exposed on sunday but that half back line will be decimated against top quality opposition. but sure they'll prbably chip in a point or two while they're at it...

Square Ball

Down Minor team

Player         Club
1. Kieran Gordan      Loughinisland
2. Conor Doyle       An Riocht
3. Ryan Mallon      Warrenpoint
4 Niall Higgins      Annaclone
5. Ryan Boyle      Warrenpoint
6. Micheal Higgins      Ballymartin
7. Ryan McGovern      Burren
8. Ruairi Digney      Saval
9. Eamon Toner      Burren
10. Paul Devlin      Kilcoo
11. Conor Poland      Longstone
12. Ben O'Reilly       Loughinisland
13. Christopher Killen      An Riocht
14. Sean Murdock      Burren
15. Paul McPolin      Clonduff

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

cavan4ever

Quote from: Uladh on May 10, 2007, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: No1 on May 10, 2007, 08:08:47 AM
1.  M. McVeigh
2.  D. McCartan
3.  D. Rooney
4.  K. McGuigan
5.  R. Murtagh
6.  B. Grant
7.  J. Clarke

8.  D. Gordon
9.  J. Lynch
10.  J. McGovern
11.  A. Carr
12.  R. Sexton
13.  D. Hughes
14.  P. Downey
15.  B. Coulter

It may not be exposed on sunday but that half back line will be decimated against top quality opposition. but sure they'll prbably chip in a point or two while they're at it...

That is a very strong half forward line cavan have, cullivan is only out of minor last year but has been one of cavan's best players this year.  Mckeever normally goes back around half back line so it will be interested to see what he does on sunday.  Larry reilly is capable of destroying anyone.

bcarrier

Full back line wouldnt exactly inspire confidence either.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Just wondering if this match is all-ticket??
Sorry if this has been covered earlieri n this thread, don't have the time to check back.
Tbc....

cavan4ever

Covered stand is ticket though.. Are u going Gaoth Dobhair?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: cavan4ever on May 10, 2007, 10:54:58 AM
Covered stand is ticket though.. Are u going Gaoth Dobhair?

Yeah, the wifes from Co. Down!

God love her, she thinks this is going to be the tie of the championship!!  ;)
Tbc....