Tomas O Se - Tyrone Team of the noughties*

Started by trueblue1234, May 16, 2014, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

:)

* OK so he didn't really say that, but interesting to see his view on the Tyrone Kerry rivalry during his playing career. Very honest article.

QuoteTomas O Se concedes that, while he was playing, Kerry never beat Tyrone when it really counted.

During the course of O Se's illustrious intercounty career, the Kingdom had a fierce rivalry with the O'Neill County and it was invariably the northerners who came out on top.

"To understand why losing to Tyrone always stuck in my throat so much, let me tell you about '08. Remember their goal in the All-Ireland final? A slip by Padraig Reidy and Tommy McGuigan stabbing the ball home from maybe a yard?," the Kerry legend writes in The Irish Independent

"Well I'm jogging back out to my position, effing and blinding away inside my head. It's a desperate body blow to take because you can just tell it's lit up Tyrone's dander.

"Next thing, Kevin Hughes shunts into my back. Hard as he can go. I'm Kerry captain and, as he sees it, he's posting a message here to the first in command. A message that tells the three-in-a-row chasing champions "we're marking our territory here and f*** ye!"

"That was the swagger they had, the kind that Dublin have now. They had their bullies, their tight defenders, their muck-dogs around the middle of the field, winning breaking ball. They had their silky forwards up front too. They had it all.

"And I hated them when they beat us, hated them for that swagger. Maybe the biggest regret I have in football is that we didn't beat that Tyrone team when it mattered. You can have arguments till the cows come home about what we did in Killarney two summers ago, thumping them by 10 points in a qualifier.

"But that doesn't count in my eyes. We just beat a skeleton of the real Tyrone. It was a moral victory, not the real thing."
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Brick Tamlin

Really??
A new thread for this.
And the title is completely misleading.

Swear ta f**k there must be a downing of tools in Tyrone this last week or so..this place is full of the hoors.

trueblue1234

J OGorman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 16, 2014, 02:24:47 PM
The title was misleading??? Really ??

yes, you've made a right haims of the man's name

trueblue1234

Aye, But I noticed it myself and corrected it. It just doesn't change in the quoted messages.

J OGorman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 16, 2014, 02:33:33 PM
Aye, But I noticed it myself and corrected it. It just doesn't change in the quoted messages.

you haven't noticed it enough by the looks of it ;-)

trueblue1234

Ah Jeez I wasn't going back through all the quoted posts. It's friday and sunny, and I'm lazy.

J OGorman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 16, 2014, 02:51:42 PM
Ah Jeez I wasn't going back through all the quoted posts. It's friday and sunny, and I'm lazy.

Championship weather! :-)

Canalman

That game in Killarney to me always reminds me of I think a boxing match between Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier's daughters which may or may not have taken place. A pale shadow of the original rivalry.

Mikhailov

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 16, 2014, 02:15:33 PM

* OK so he didn't really say that, but interesting to see his view on the Tyrone Kerry rivalry during his playing career. Very honest article.

QuoteTomas O Se concedes that, while he was playing, Kerry never beat Tyrone when it really counted.

During the course of O Se's illustrious intercounty career, the Kingdom had a fierce rivalry with the O'Neill County and it was invariably the northerners who came out on top.

"To understand why losing to Tyrone always stuck in my throat so much, let me tell you about '08. Remember their goal in the All-Ireland final? A slip by Padraig Reidy and Tommy McGuigan stabbing the ball home from maybe a yard?," the Kerry legend writes in The Irish Independent

"Well I'm jogging back out to my position, effing and blinding away inside my head. It's a desperate body blow to take because you can just tell it's lit up Tyrone's dander.

"Next thing, Kevin Hughes shunts into my back. Hard as he can go. I'm Kerry captain and, as he sees it, he's posting a message here to the first in command. A message that tells the three-in-a-row chasing champions "we're marking our territory here and f*** ye!"

"That was the swagger they had, the kind that Dublin have now. They had their bullies, their tight defenders, their muck-dogs around the middle of the field, winning breaking ball. They had their silky forwards up front too. They had it all.

"And I hated them when they beat us, hated them for that swagger. Maybe the biggest regret I have in football is that we didn't beat that Tyrone team when it mattered. You can have arguments till the cows come home about what we did in Killarney two summers ago, thumping them by 10 points in a qualifier.

"But that doesn't count in my eyes. We just beat a skeleton of the real Tyrone. It was a moral victory, not the real thing."

You have only copy and pasted some of the article - I actually rad it also but not good with the old laptop so cant even get it up on it to post here.

He did go on to say that he initially hated the Tyrone lads but when on an All-Star tour he got to know them very well and couldn't actually believe how decent Ricey McMenamin was and how great friends Dara and Kevin Hughes are even after their career is over. He stated that he wasn't looking forward to the trip due to his 'dislike' for a few Tyrone lads but nothing could have been further from that when he actually spent some time with them. The respect both on and off the field is apparent in the article.

Tomas appears to be a very honest bloke - the type a captain should be !

blanketattack

Quote from: Canalman on May 16, 2014, 02:58:24 PM
That game in Killarney to me always reminds me of I think a boxing match between Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier's daughters which may or may not have taken place. A pale shadow of the original rivalry.

Muhammad Ali against Joe Frazier's daughters? That definitely didn't take place.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Mikhailov on May 16, 2014, 03:35:29 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 16, 2014, 02:15:33 PM

You have only copy and pasted some of the article - I actually rad it also but not good with the old laptop so cant even get it up on it to post here.

He did go on to say that he initially hated the Tyrone lads but when on an All-Star tour he got to know them very well and couldn't actually believe how decent Ricey McMenamin was and how great friends Dara and Kevin Hughes are even after their career is over. He stated that he wasn't looking forward to the trip due to his 'dislike' for a few Tyrone lads but nothing could have been further from that when he actually spent some time with them. The respect both on and off the field is apparent in the article.

Tomas appears to be a very honest bloke - the type a captain should be !

I posted the full article. There might be a longer edition kicking about as well.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=216339