Private house - leak detection

Started by trueblue1234, May 07, 2014, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Just looking for a bit of info. A guy from waterways/ NI water called at the house and told the missus that we have a leak. The house was built about 5 years ago and was built on farming land, so the water was going through a meter. I've tried walking the ground were I think the pipes are but can't see any visual signs so how to try and locate the leak?
Also the guy mentioned that we should try and get it sorted before anymore attention is drawn to it and that we might get away without a bill. So just wondering what's the story if we are hit with a bill? Are we liable for the cost or is the onus on waterways to inform us of the leak or what is the likely process?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

muppet

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 07, 2014, 08:31:05 PM
Just looking for a bit of info. A guy from waterways/ NI water called at the house and told the missus that we have a leak. The house was built about 5 years ago and was built on farming land, so the water was going through a meter. I've tried walking the ground were I think the pipes are but can't see any visual signs so how to try and locate the leak?
Also the guy mentioned that we should try and get it sorted before anymore attention is drawn to it and that we might get away without a bill. So just wondering what's the story if we are hit with a bill? Are we liable for the cost or is the onus on waterways to inform us of the leak or what is the likely process?

https://www.niwater.com/leakage-responsibilities-allowances-and-costs/
MWWSI 2017

oakleafgael

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 07, 2014, 08:31:05 PM

As muppet's link will tell you, its your responsibility for the repair of the leak and the bill for the lost water. There is a process where you fill a form out and normally they will write off the extra water usage compared to the normal bill. Its best to ring them and sort it out rather than ignoring the bill when it comes.

I think your an Armagh man? There is a man down that part of the country who does this type of work for me and will find the leak for you provided you know the rough line of the 25mm pipe.

trueblue1234

Tyrone man for my sins, but thankfully just found out the leak is actually on a pipe going to the neighbour's house rather than mine. So I've informed them and they're getting someone out to look at it tomorrow morning. Thank feck!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

oakleafgael

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 07, 2014, 10:38:27 PM
Tyrone man for my sins, but thankfully just found out the leak is actually on a pipe going to the neighbour's house rather than mine. So I've informed them and they're getting someone out to look at it tomorrow morning. Thank feck!!

Does the neighbours pipe branch of your connection or does it have its own connection/boundary box?

johnneycool

Quote from: oakleafgael on May 08, 2014, 09:20:01 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 07, 2014, 10:38:27 PM

Does the neighbours pipe branch of your connection or does it have its own connection/boundary box?

Surely the neighbour will have their own water toby?