ukraine regime change

Started by lawnseed, February 23, 2014, 12:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2014, 07:09:26 PM
people tend to forget this is how some mucker called Hitler got his start on the road, Putin i doubt suffers from that wee man Napoleon complex. This region could have rejoined Russia after the break up of the old soviet union and guess what, Russia didn't want them. Had this happened before the socchi winter games many teams would not have went.

This guy is a fossil of the cold war, expect some sort of move on east Ukraine next year.

I wonder what the story is with East Ukraine? I mean isn't there a precedent set here now with Crimea, that I'm sure East Ukraine will want to finish? (When I say East Ukraine, I mean the pro-Russian people of East Ukraine). Putin is probably eyeing up more as well...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Lets hope Germany doesn't plan on liberating all those Germans in Russia.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 18, 2014, 11:01:06 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on March 16, 2014, 08:44:16 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 16, 2014, 08:37:29 AM
Russians are some cowboys, occupation of Crimea, bring in a vote to transfer Ukranian territory and the Tatar homeland (a people they have ethnically cleansed) into Russia.

Next year Russia is introducing a new law which makes advocating separatism a criminal offence.

Israel have been doing this for decades with the full support of the west.

Always looking for the jewish angle .... ::) . Does every world conflict involve a jewish/US conspiracy ?

You sad anti-Semitic ****.
He's just pointing out what Israel has been at since 1967. Just facts you sad blinkered pro Israeli Kerryman.

As for Crimea wasn't it Kruschev ( a Ukranian??) gave Crimea to Ukraine when he became boss?
It didn't matter then as all the "Republics" were just County Council type things implementing politburo policy locally.

Calling out an anti-Semite does not make one pro-Israel you sad sack putin-apologist.

stew

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 19, 2014, 10:44:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 18, 2014, 11:01:06 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on March 16, 2014, 08:44:16 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 16, 2014, 08:37:29 AM
Russians are some cowboys, occupation of Crimea, bring in a vote to transfer Ukranian territory and the Tatar homeland (a people they have ethnically cleansed) into Russia.

Next year Russia is introducing a new law which makes advocating separatism a criminal offence.

Israel have been doing this for decades with the full support of the west.

Always looking for the jewish angle .... ::) . Does every world conflict involve a jewish/US conspiracy ?

You sad anti-Semitic ****.
He's just pointing out what Israel has been at since 1967. Just facts you sad blinkered pro Israeli Kerryman.

As for Crimea wasn't it Kruschev ( a Ukranian??) gave Crimea to Ukraine when he became boss?
It didn't matter then as all the "Republics" were just County Council type things implementing politburo policy locally.

Calling out an anti-Semite does not make one pro-Israel you sad sack putin-apologist.

Mike, you cant be polished because you cannot polish a turd!!!!

You are pro Israeli as I once was, the problem is you have not the stones to admit it!!!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: muppet on March 19, 2014, 02:19:14 PM
http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000years-of-european-boarders-change/

Play the above video.

Stop it whenever you choose and use this as the basis for an argument on the true borders of a given country.

What is your point ? Are you saying that the history illustrated in the above video invalidates any currently existing borders ?
the last major redrawings of those borders were the end of world war two, the crisis In the Balkans and the fall of the Soviet Union. Is there a particular border that you disagree with ?

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

AZOffaly

Bit of craic in Ukraine today. Apparently some right wingers didn't like the communist's take on things, so they decided to f**k him down from the podium. Then a bit of a schmozzle broke out. Good job Klitschko wasn't there! By the way, that lad that's throwing most of the punches is wearing a light blue jacket with elbow patches :) His face is familiar. Was he on the bench for Derrytresk a couple of years ago?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/video-fists-fly-in-ukraine-parliament-627308.html

The Ukrainian County Board will have to hand down serious suspensions here.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

With the drop in fuel prices and resultant pressure on the Rouble (and presumably the ecomic viability of fracking) I had been reading up on the current "peace" in Ukraine.
I had been aware of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and that they had controlled part of Ukraine and that the Russian empire had controlled the remainder. What I didn't realise was that it was only in the 1920's that the 2 Ukraines were united and even then with 2 separate governments. With such a recent formation I am surprised that a re-partition (much as happened in Sudan) has not been suggested as a way out of the current tug of war between Putin and the EU.

Dougal Maguire

Things looking pretty dodgy at the minute. I'm not fully au fait with the ins and outs of it all but it would seem that whilst on the one hand it looks like the Russians interfering in the affairs of a sovereign state, on the other hand you can see their concerns. We all know how the US reacted over Cuba. I'd like to think common sense might prevail but it's not looking good. I don't know why Ukraine is looking to join NATO given the risks but then again I'm no diplomat.
Careful now

tiempo

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 21, 2022, 04:02:40 PM
Things looking pretty dodgy at the minute. I'm not fully au fait with the ins and outs of it all but it would seem that whilst on the one hand it looks like the Russians interfering in the affairs of a sovereign state, on the other hand you can see their concerns. We all know how the US reacted over Cuba. I'd like to think common sense might prevail but it's not looking good. I don't know why Ukraine is looking to join NATO given the risks but then again I'm no diplomat.

A great listen, also available on Spotify etc.

https://thestandwitheamondunphy.com/episode/1306/

Eamo has put out 7 or 8 top notch podcasts this year on politics, and his footy pods where he mollycoddles Giles and Brady are a laugh sometimes, Big Jack invented the gegenpress you know  ;)

trileacman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 21, 2022, 04:02:40 PM

Ukraine is either a sovereign state or it isn't. If it accepts that Russia has a veto on which international organisations it can join then its little more than a client state. A colony. How would you feel if Westminster tried to dictate what kind of international relations Ireland has?

Russia merely trying to strong arm larger and more successful world powers into concessions. It's a bluff but the problem is that they haven't planned a way out of their escalation if they don't get their way. Without concessions they're forced into an embarrassing climb down which the regime would not survive.

They intended all this as a bluff but it becoming increasingly clear the only option let to them is war.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

general_lee

How many American missiles are pointing at Russia along its borders? Conversely how many Russian missiles are pointing at America along its borders? If the Americans hadn't overthrown the elected government & replaced it(with a neo-Nazi regime no less) under Obama, would this situation really be happening? I suppose the west needs to occupy itself somehow not that Afghanistan is finito

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on January 22, 2022, 10:56:47 AM
How many American missiles are pointing at Russia along its borders? Conversely how many Russian missiles are pointing at America along its borders? If the Americans hadn't overthrown the elected government & replaced it(with a neo-Nazi regime no less) under Obama, would this situation really be happening? I suppose the west needs to occupy itself somehow not that Afghanistan is finito

I note the Russians are not calling for free elections in the Ukraine to resolve things.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B