Tommy Walsh - Kerry

Started by Jinxy, July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I reckon he'll jack in the aussie rules at the end of the season and return to Kerry to solve their midfield woes.
Doesn't seem to be making much headway over there compared to the likes of Hanley and Tuohy and even Niall McKeever who made his senior debut last week.
It's one thing to be paid to play a game, but if you don't enjoy it what's the point.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Jinxy on July 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM
I reckon he'll jack in the aussie rules at the end of the season and return to Kerry to solve their midfield woes.
Doesn't seem to be making much headway over there compared to the likes of Hanley and Tuohy and even Niall McKeever who made his senior debut last week.
It's one thing to be paid to play a game, but if you don't enjoy it what's the point.

because your getting paid
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Carmen Stateside

With the summer players arriving its started to improve.  Cork started poorly but have won their last two and would be favourites along with Leitrim.  Some nice players about.  I will start updating the American gaa thread.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Dunno bout that Jinxy..he's getting high praise in a few quarters out there and has been played all over the field for their VFL team. He'll debut in the next couple of weeks for St Kilda I'd say...I reckon he;ll give it till the end of next season at least before making any decisions.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Jinxy

Well, 3 years in it appears that Tommy isn't making much headway over in Oz.
Such a waste of a brilliant footballer.
Would he not just come home at this stage?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on March 25, 2012, 05:06:06 PM

Maybe he's enjoying it down there. Just a thought.

Jinxy

Enjoying what?
Being paid to train?
I would have thought he'd like to be playing.

Syferus

Jaysus Jinxy, you're mad on postulating that 'player x isn't enjoying life' outside of the GAA fraternity!

If you headed up the Mahon Tribunal everyone who looked cross-eyed to a builder would be indicated.

Orchardman

Quote from: Jinxy on March 25, 2012, 05:06:06 PM

Was only with st kilda 2 years, and they are a top 2 side. His 3rd season is only starting now, so how can you write him off for not playing in 3 years? he has another 2 year contract, if he makes no progress after that then u have a point and id agree he should come home. Would be hard to beat getting paid to train every day and living in sudney, i wudn't mind it.

Don't forget lads, he's already played in 2 all ireland finals, winning one, so he's done what his father's done and all that, though i'm sure he'd like more

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on March 25, 2012, 06:30:52 PM
Jaysus Jinxy, you're mad on postulating that 'player x isn't enjoying life' outside of the GAA fraternity!

If you headed up the Mahon Tribunal everyone who looked cross-eyed to a builder would be indicated.

In sporting terms he's a nobody over there.

Aerlik

A lad from home has a picture of Walsh, Kennelly and him standing together.  Now the lad from home is no leprechaun but Walsh looks feckin hooooooj. :o
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

5 Sams

Quote from: Aerlik on March 26, 2012, 06:21:51 PM
A lad from home has a picture of Walsh, Kennelly and him standing together.  Now the lad from home is no leprechaun but Walsh looks feckin hooooooj. :o

This is one of our lads with the two lads Aerlik...he says Walsh is a fcukin monster...he's crouchin over in this photo ???

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=2741504497088&set=t.100000214217858&type=1&theater
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Never bought into the Tommy Walsh hype. Thought he was a good player who used his height well but who was a bit raw in general play. Kieran Donaghy 1.5, then. Maybe a few more years would have ironed out his inconsistencies, but he was made look alot better by being on a very, very good team.

My abiding memory of Walsh was him being hyped up to the hilt in the 2006 All-Ireland minor finals and getting cleaned out by Donie Shine in the middle in both games. And I mean took to the cleaners, given a bleaching and air dried for good measure. Shine's obviously proven himself to be no mug either, but let's not get ahead of ourselves with Walsh.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2012, 09:17:52 PM
Never bought into the Tommy Walsh hype. Thought he was a good player who used his height well but who was a bit raw in general play. Kieran Donaghy 1.5, then. Maybe a few more years would have ironed out his inconsistencies, but he was made look alot better by being on a very, very good team.

My abiding memory of Walsh was him being hyped up to the hilt in the 2006 All-Ireland minor finals and getting cleaned out by Donie Shine in the middle in both games. And I mean took to the cleaners, given a bleaching and air dried for good measure. Shine's obviously proven himself to be no mug either, but let's not get ahead of ourselves with Walsh.

Really? Well, it just so happens I recently watched the DVD of the drawn final. In the 1st half alone Tommy fielded cleanly from at least 5 kickouts...I'll go back and get the accurate stats for you when I can. Shine got at least 2 points from play from what I remember alright but was destroyed in the air, so your assessment is way off. Funnily enough in the replay, Walsh was less influential in the air, but kicked 2 great long-range points and was one of our better players in a bad team performance.
In general I would doubt that Tommy will ever make it in AFL...he failed to make the breakthrough at St Kilda in 2 years and isn't looking like he'll make the Swans team either. Obviously I would love to see him home, but if he proves me wrong, fair enough.

Edit: Just asked a mate who follows the Swans if there was any word on him and got an almost instant reply. Played for the reserves at the weekend in the first round of their league and was virtually anonymous. Started at centre back and was moved up to full forward for the 2nd half.
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Ireland before the year is out.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

HeaveHo

Tommy has the physical tools but doesn't seem to be able to "read the play". Kennelly is a good example of somehow who often gave away size and speed to opponents but could beat them because he was able to anticipate to opposition movement in advance and the irregular bounce of an oval shaped ball. Tommy gets led to the ball when playing as a backman and is clueless as a forward. Expect him home after this season.