Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: laoislad on December 31, 2021, 06:40:12 PM
Worst part of a new year is my Strava stats reset to 0 😁
2300km ran this year, down a couple hundred on last year.Have a goal of getting to 3000km next year.
Hopefully all races return as normal next year. Have a half Marathon in Meath in March first up.
hopefully all the races go ahead. Dublin marathon especially. Working in miles I managed to hit 1970 miles for the year, 50 miles down on last year 😔
nil satis nisi optimum

gerrykeegan

Only my first full year running, managed (what I thought was a decent number until LL put up his stats) 1270kms at an average 4:47. It's a bug I never thought I'd have. New runners needed already
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

5times5times

Been dragged into a half marathon later this summer.. Slightly novice runner.. Anyone any tips/websites/plans to follow on best way to train? Tks!!

laoislad

Quote from: 5times5times on January 01, 2022, 04:57:51 PM
Been dragged into a half marathon later this summer.. Slightly novice runner.. Anyone any tips/websites/plans to follow on best way to train? Tks!!
Depends on what you want out of it? Have you a goal time or is just finishing enough?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 01, 2022, 01:56:11 PM
Only my first full year running, managed (what I thought was a decent number until LL put up his stats) 1270kms at an average 4:47. It's a bug I never thought I'd have. New runners needed already
Yeah once it gets a hold of you it's a hard habit to break, not a bad habit to have though.

bigfrank

Anyone get a new running watch for Xmas or would like to recommend one for me?? I'm guessing their are watches at £500 that are amazing but a bit less will do me tbh, cheers

trueblue1234

Quote from: bigfrank on January 04, 2022, 04:22:16 PM
Anyone get a new running watch for Xmas or would like to recommend one for me?? I'm guessing their are watches at £500 that are amazing but a bit less will do me tbh, cheers
Garmin forerunner best bet. Few different varieties depending on needs and wants. Ones with music, contactless etc. Won't need to go near £500 unless you want top spec.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

The 245 forerunner isn't too badly priced. I am going to get one of them as the toddler wrecked my garmin  :-\

5times5times

Quote from: laoislad on January 01, 2022, 05:02:28 PM
Depends on what you want out of it? Have you a goal time or is just finishing enough?

Finishing i suppose, but not to make a sham out of myself!! Circa 2-2.5hrs is what i'd imagine?

laoislad

Quote from: 5times5times on January 04, 2022, 04:56:24 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 01, 2022, 05:02:28 PM

Finishing i suppose, but not to make a sham out of myself!! Circa 2-2.5hrs is what i'd imagine?
There's lads with more knowledge than me in here but if you just want to finish then a few runs a week between 6-8km  and a long run at the weekend should do you fine. Increase the long run every few weeks. If you got up to 16km/10miles a few weeks before your race then you should be able finish the Half Marathon no problems. Wouldn't worry about making a sham of yourself(you won't anyway), you're out doing it that's all that matters.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 04, 2022, 04:28:24 PM
The 245 forerunner isn't too badly priced. I am going to get one of them as the toddler wrecked my garmin  :-\
I broke my 245 also. Bought a Coros Pace 2 to tide me over. Was €150 so cheap enough.
The 245 is a few years old now so I'd expect a new version out soon that's why I didn't buy another 245.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bigfrank on January 04, 2022, 04:22:16 PM

Got the Garmin Fenix 6 sapphire for my birthday the other day! Have no idea of it's full potential but so far so good.

Need a few runs on it and see how it performs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bigfrank

Do any of the watches you have link to Spotify for example?? I prefer to listen to music as I run,have always just carried my phone in my pocket with my Strava turned on just as I begin to run and Spotify playing into my wireless headphones,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bigfrank on January 04, 2022, 06:57:07 PM
Do any of the watches you have link to Spotify for example?? I prefer to listen to music as I run,have always just carried my phone in my pocket with my Strava turned on just as I begin to run and Spotify playing into my wireless headphones,

This can hold 100's of songs and Bluetooth it to your Bluetooth earphones
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bigfrank on January 04, 2022, 06:57:07 PM
The missus has the Garmin Venu 2s which has Spotify. More of a general fitness watch than an out and out runner, but I looked at the 245 Music for her and as the name suggests it has Spotify integration.