Stone Roses comeback

Started by tyroneman, May 12, 2016, 10:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

The new single out tonight.....really really.....meh

JoG2

Wouldn't be too keen on the lyrics,  but the tune is very good imo

gallsman

Yup, tune great and the lyrics shite. Let's be honest though, a lot of the Roses' lyrics are shite.

The Gs Man

My thoughts as well.

Squire's guitar work is unreal as usual.  Loads of his signature phasing and flange and whatever.

Once you get past the opening few "One for all's" it's actually really good I think.

It's no Fools Gold but it'll grow on me.
Keep 'er lit

JoG2

Quote from: The Gs Man on May 13, 2016, 09:12:28 AM
My thoughts as well.

Squire's guitar work is unreal as usual.  Loads of his signature phasing and flange and whatever.

Once you get past the opening few "One for all's" it's actually really good I think.

It's no Fools Gold but it'll grow on me.

agreed but feel a bit short changed with Reni's lack of busy sticks.

Gonzalo15

Ebony and Ivory, live together in perfect har-mo-nee.

easytiger95

Quote from: gallsman on May 13, 2016, 06:55:11 AM
Yup, tune great and the lyrics shite. Let's be honest though, a lot of the Roses' lyrics are shite.

Harsh Gallsman - lyrics on the first album were absolutely top notch

"My aim is true, my message is clear, it's curtains for you, Elisabeth my dear"

"Kiss me where the sun don't shine, past was yours but the future's mine, you're all out of time"

"Chimes sing Sunday morn, today's the day, she swore, to steal what she never could own, and race from this hole she calls home"

I was actually hoping they'd come back with something big and dark a la the Second Coming, because I think that album sounds better and better the older it gets, and isolated from the hype that was around it in 95. Also, I think that sound would suit them now that they are all older.

Instead they come back with this, which, lets face it, is just sub-standard La's. Which, let's face it, is Cast.

I was whatsapping a mate last night, and told him that I thought Ian must have cogged the lyrics from Noel Gallagher's foolscap before class. He thought, worse, he made a mistake and cogged from Liam's.

Not worth 20 years wait, I'm afraid, but I'll definitely get the album to be sure.

seafoid

sure so are most music lyrics
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

the onion bag

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 13, 2016, 10:18:16 AM
Instead they come back with this, which, lets face it, is just sub-standard La's. Which, let's face it, is Cast.

Now that's harsh.

J70

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 13, 2016, 10:18:16 AM

Harsh Gallsman - lyrics on the first album were absolutely top notch

"My aim is true, my message is clear, it's curtains for you, Elisabeth my dear"

"Kiss me where the sun don't shine, past was yours but the future's mine, you're all out of time"

"Chimes sing Sunday morn, today's the day, she swore, to steal what she never could own, and race from this hole she calls home"

I was actually hoping they'd come back with something big and dark a la the Second Coming, because I think that album sounds better and better the older it gets, and isolated from the hype that was around it in 95. Also, I think that sound would suit them now that they are all older.

I was whatsapping a mate last night, and told him that I thought Ian must have cogged the lyrics from Noel Gallagher's foolscap before class. He thought, worse, he made a mistake and cogged from Liam's.

Not worth 20 years wait, I'm afraid, but I'll definitely get the album to be sure.

"whatsapping"??

J70

Don't think Second Coming has improved with time at all. A few outstanding, stunning songs - Breaking Into Heaven", "Love Spreads" etc., but mostly laboured filler, like they were trying too hard or struggling to come up with decent melodies. Not in remotely the same sport, never mind league, as the first album.

easytiger95

Not in the same league as the first agreed - but as you say, rather than a brilliant album, an album with brilliant songs. Breaking into Heaven, Driving South, Ten Storey Love Song, Your Star Will Shine, Begging You, TightRope and How Do You Sleep all hold up today for me

Good Times and Tears both let down by Brown's vocal range but Squires playing is absolutely monumental on them.

Whatsapping - to use whatsapp to contact someone. I can't conjugate the verb though  ;D

easytiger95

And "Love Spreads" of course.

Was chatting to a mate today at lunch, and we both agreed that if Ten Storey Love Song had been the first single off Second Coming, the critical reaction to the album might have been a lot better - that was the bridge between the first albums peppiness and the heaviness of the second, whilst Love Spread, brilliant and all as it is, took a few listens to get your head around.

I'm hoping that it is the same way this time, and they've just released the wrong tune first.

J70

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 13, 2016, 04:54:53 PM
Not in the same league as the first agreed - but as you say, rather than a brilliant album, an album with brilliant songs. Breaking into Heaven, Driving South, Ten Storey Love Song, Your Star Will Shine, Begging You, TightRope and How Do You Sleep all hold up today for me

Good Times and Tears both let down by Brown's vocal range but Squires playing is absolutely monumental on them.

Whatsapping - to use whatsapp to contact someone. I can't conjugate the verb though  ;D

Ah, it's a messenger app! Thanks!

Thought it was some new slang that had entered the Irish lexicon in my exile!

omaghjoe

30 years since debut album

The more i listen the more Im amazed how good they are..... especially since Brown hasn't a note in his head!