Saturday July 22 Cork v Mayo, Gaelic Grounds, 5PM

Started by Lar Naparka, July 10, 2017, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I'm very surprised than none of the usual suspects has started a thread about this fixture yet so I decided to thrown in the ball...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

The Trap

No point in a thread.......12000 Mayo people will turn up in a 12100 crowd and Mayo will win by 10 points.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

johnneycool

Quote from: The Trap on July 10, 2017, 03:33:32 PM
No point in a thread.......12000 Mayo people will turn up in a 12100 crowd and Mayo will win by 10 points.

Over 8K turned up at a recent Cork minor hurling replay with Tipp on a Monday night and most of the sell out on Sunday in Thurles were Cork supporters. They'll be saving their money up for a trip to Croke Park in August now!

Cork footballers just don't seem to enthrall the masses like their hurlers.

twohands!!!

Quote from: johnneycool on July 10, 2017, 03:41:59 PM

Over 8K turned up at a recent Cork minor hurling replay with Tipp on a Monday night and most of the sell out on Sunday in Thurles were Cork supporters. They'll be saving their money up for a trip to Croke Park in August now!

1 point win over Waterford
1 point win over Tipp
11 point loss to Kerry (and it didn't exactly look to me like Kerry hit top gear either)

Currently 100/1 to pick up Sam (only Carlow at 500/1 are longer odds)

I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd was 90% plus Mayo supporters.

rosnarun

look if Rocommon can win a game ,any game, the were in a new anything can happen world  .
mayo need to take this very seriously .
Cork to me look like a team waiting to explode though may well implode before they do that  but there is huge talent on the panel and in the county
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Should be routine win for Mayo. Clare would beat Cork if they played them they are in a bad place right now and so poorly coached.

Owenmoresider

We've played them three times over the last 10-12 years and always outnumbered them even with our small base, the first meeting in Portlaoise had three Cork teams on the one bill but still their support was derisory. Only when it's Kerry or an All Ireland will they make the effort.

Didn't see Mayo on Saturday but I should think they're going well enough now to get through this, especially if Cork can't seriously improve on the Munster final display. And if it's anything like the first half against Tipp it could get ugly for them.

joemamas

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 10, 2017, 03:47:46 PM

1 point win over Tipp
11 point loss to Kerry (and it didn't exactly look to me like Kerry hit top gear either)

I have a feeling the powers to be in Croke Park would really like to see Mayo winning, as it would most likely add 15k-20k to Sunday July 30th whoever we play.

I think Mayo will win, as I am not sure Cork will have any desire to even potentially meet Kerry in Croke in August.

Mayo are getting better , but after yesterdays Connacht final performance by Galway, adding to our already poor performace V Derry for 65 minutes and an absolutely brutal first half V Clare, I truly don't know how good or bad or tired or fresh we are.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

twohands!!!

Quote from: joemamas on July 10, 2017, 03:58:54 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on July 10, 2017, 03:47:46 PM

1 point win over Tipp

I have a feeling the powers to be in Croke Park would really like to see Mayo winning, as it would most likely add 15k-20k to Sunday July 30th whoever we play.

I think Mayo will win, as I am not sure Cork will have any desire to even potentially meet Kerry in Croke in August.

Mayo are getting better , but after yesterdays Connacht final performance by Galway, adding to our already poor performace V Derry for 65 minutes and an absolutely brutal first half V Clare, I truly don't know how good or bad or tired or fresh we are.

Yeah good point on potentially meeting Kerry again - once Kerry had their scoring burst at the start of the 2nd half, it looked like a lot of the Cork players had zero interest at all in even trying to make a game out of it - they have the look and feel about them of a team who are goods odds to be only going through the motions the next day.

blast05

1993 All-Ireland semi-final .... Corks final score against us more like the time the train was leaving Hueston Station 5-15.
1989 .... Jimmy Browne never raised the Sam Maguire.
1999 ..... James Nallen midfield. Kenny Mortimer centre forward. Strange. All ending in a desperately disappointing 6 point defeat.
2010 ..... hammered out the gate on the NFL final

Enough of disappointment bottled up there to do 2 life times.
And so i will never take those langer bastards for granted or be arrogant and dumb enough to presume anything when it comes to playing them.
Get the neck on their throat early and squeeze hard

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on July 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM
look if Rocommon can win a game ,any game, the were in a new anything can happen world  .
mayo need to take this very seriously .
Cork to me look like a team waiting to explode though may well implode before they do that  but there is huge talent on the panel and in the county

No there isn't. I'm sick of hearing of all this great talent in Cork the last 15 years yet it never showed itself, even in the year they won an AI, as much by luck as anything else. You cannot keep blaming structures.

Mayo4Sam

I'm enjoying this back door craic, loads of games and lads getting good experience.

Cork seem shambolic at the moment but they were too last February and they gave us a right trimming down there

I'd imagine we'll have enough for them.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hound

Quote from: blast05 on July 10, 2017, 10:47:21 PM
1993 All-Ireland semi-final .... Corks final score against us more like the time the train was leaving Hueston Station 5-15.
1989 .... Jimmy Browne never raised the Sam Maguire.
1999 ..... James Nallen midfield. Kenny Mortimer centre forward. Strange. All ending in a desperately disappointing 6 point defeat.
2010 ..... hammered out the gate on the NFL final

Enough of disappointment bottled up there to do 2 life times.
And so i will never take those langer b**tards for granted or be arrogant and dumb enough to presume anything when it comes to playing them.
Get the neck on their throat early and squeeze hard
Have Cork and Mayo really not met in championship since the turn of the millenium?
(or are you just reminiscing on bad memories!)