26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

sid waddell

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 26, 2020, 10:15:47 PM
Hogan comes across as a knob but was it really necessary to hound him out of the commission? He didn't represent the Irish people directly. It's completely different to Calleary who helped decide on the regulations as part of government.

The common argument on Twitter seemed to be there can't be one rule for the elite and another for us. Is the precedent now that any breach of covid guidelines must result in people losing their job? What if the gardaí call to a house party this weekend and find 40 people inside?
This is an argument which is basically the same as the "where does it stop" nonsense when the statue of the slave trader in Bristol was pulled down

Anybody in an important political position or tasked with an important role in public policy formulation has a duty to uphold the rules and face the consequences if they flagrantly break them - because they are the people tasked with legislating as well persuading everybody else that they should uphold them

Rossfan

Coveney being tipped to replace him with Irish Government asking Commission to leave us with the Trade portfolio.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2020, 11:48:44 PM
Coveney being tipped to replace him with Irish Government asking Commission to leave us with the Trade portfolio.

Wouldn't be a bad outcome if we could get him back to national politics once his stint is over.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

andoireabu

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2020, 10:26:04 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 10:03:30 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 26, 2020, 10:01:33 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 08:40:04 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 26, 2020, 08:01:05 PM
Phil should offer and Ursula should refuse. Then he should go back to kicking the British.

Will the hotel be prosecuted? That's the real issue here, businesses all over the country taking the piss and no action being taken against them, from meat plants to restaurants.

The real issue is the hotel?

FFS, what level of shill are you? The people in attendance are the ones tasked with implementing legislation, upholding it and bringing people to account for it and they thought they were all above it.

Because the people responsible for implementing legislation have generally not done so, and so hotels, pubs, meat factories etc are not brought to account. Even the rules for people coming into the country are poorly defined.

The people responsible for implementing legislation were down in Galway, flouting their own laws at a golf piss up.

And you think the big story is the hotel?
'The people responsible for the new rules"????
There was one member of government who was part of the cabinet that approved the new rules and badly at fault and rightly fired. But only one.

The hotel definitely has to be looked at given they supposedly guaranteed that the new rules were being undertaken. Albeit everyone does have to take personal responsibility too.

It wasn't just ex-FF and ex-FG politicians, there were Independents, Labour and Workers Party reps there too it seems. From the list on wiki the average age seemed to be approaching 60.

I'll look forward to giving you details of Sinn Fein politicians attending business functions over the next couple of years to see if your outrage at politicians (even though it was mostly former politicians in this case) entertaining with business people continues.

Calleary wasn't fired, he resigned his ministry and deputy leadership, but he remains a sitting TD.  Not many people who get "fired" remain on €96k a year. 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

gallsman

Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 11:06:36 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 26, 2020, 10:55:19 AM
Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 10:49:27 AM
The big story really should be the public unearthing of Gov ministers, establishment party TDs and senators, court judgers, banking lobbyists and heads of vulture funds all mingling at an event subsidised for by the tax payer.

It just shows you the inner workings of FFG and how inherently corrupt they are and the type of people they serve and answer to

Yes, we heard you the first time.

Quote from: Angelo on August 24, 2020, 01:01:42 PM
The big story for me is FFG political figures, judges, current affairs broadcaster, bankers, vulture fund heads and all the rest cosying up with each other a slimey little event more than likely paid for by the taxpayer. It just shows you how inherently corrupt FFG are and the arrogance that they have that restrictions don't apply to him, particularly when it comes to an opulent piss up.

What have you learned since Monday that has shifted things from "more than likely paid for by the taxpayer" to staying with certainty that it was an event "subsidised by the taxpayer"?

So we can decipher that you are happy that the establishment parties are mingling with judges, baking lobbyists, heads of vulture funds, current affairs broadcasters etc when both parties have a long history of shady dealings and corruption with wealthy private individuals?

Surely this is a cause of concern?

Or maybe you think this is perfectly good optics, you saw fit enough to respond so why don't you tell us what you think because my feelings are on record.

You'd have to be really, really stupid (or perhaps simply have an agenda) to "decipher" that from my highly encrypted post.

Hound

Quote from: andoireabu on August 27, 2020, 08:51:35 AM
Phil should offer and Ursula should refuse. Then he should go back to kicking the British.

Will the hotel be prosecuted? That's the real issue here, businesses all over the country taking the piss and no action being taken against them, from meat plants to restaurants.

FFS, what level of shill are you? The people in attendance are the ones tasked with implementing legislation, upholding it and bringing people to account for it and they thought they were all above it.

Because the people responsible for implementing legislation have generally not done so, and so hotels, pubs, meat factories etc are not brought to account. Even the rules for people coming into the country are poorly defined.

The people responsible for implementing legislation were down in Galway, flouting their own laws at a golf piss up.

There was one member of government who was part of the cabinet that approved the new rules and badly at fault and rightly fired. But only one.

The hotel definitely has to be looked at given they supposedly guaranteed that the new rules were being undertaken. Albeit everyone does have to take personal responsibility too.

It wasn't just ex-FF and ex-FG politicians, there were Independents, Labour and Workers Party reps there too it seems. From the list on wiki the average age seemed to be approaching 60.

I'll look forward to giving you details of Sinn Fein politicians attending business functions over the next couple of years to see if your outrage at politicians (even though it was mostly former politicians in this case) entertaining with business people continues.

Calleary wasn't fired, he resigned his ministry and deputy leadership, but he remains a sitting TD.  Not many people who get "fired" remain on €96k a year.
He was 100% fired from the ministerial job he was appointed to and from the deputy leadership.
He can't be fired from the position he was elected to by his constituents (for this anyway) until the next election. But it's a big reduction in salary and monumental reduction in future pension entitlements, so he's been hit hard.

Wouldn't be keen on Coveney going to Europe. Not too many really impressive TDS around, but he's definitely one of them.

gallsman

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 26, 2020, 10:15:47 PM
Hogan comes across as a knob but was it really necessary to hound him out of the commission? He didn't represent the Irish people directly. It's completely different to Calleary who helped decide on the regulations as part of government.

The common argument on Twitter seemed to be there can't be one rule for the elite and another for us. Is the precedent now that any breach of covid guidelines must result in people losing their job? What if the gardaí call to a house party this weekend and find 40 people inside?

If Hogan was to have any chance to survive and have people on side with the "f**k the p***k but we need him at the table" angle he should have come out immediately with a clear list of all his movements since returning to the country and offered a full apology.

Instead, he drip fed statements over a number of days trying to lay the blame at the door of others (the hotels federation ffs) and clearly withheld information (that was inevitably going to emerge anyway) in case it compromised him further. In doing that he lost all sympathy.

He wasn't hounded out of office. He fucked up time and again and people simply asked him to be held up account like any other Joe soap would expect to be.

Angelo

Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2020, 09:04:51 AM
The big story really should be the public unearthing of Gov ministers, establishment party TDs and senators, court judgers, banking lobbyists and heads of vulture funds all mingling at an event subsidised for by the tax payer.

It just shows you the inner workings of FFG and how inherently corrupt they are and the type of people they serve and answer to

The big story for me is FFG political figures, judges, current affairs broadcaster, bankers, vulture fund heads and all the rest cosying up with each other a slimey little event more than likely paid for by the taxpayer. It just shows you how inherently corrupt FFG are and the arrogance that they have that restrictions don't apply to him, particularly when it comes to an opulent piss up.

What have you learned since Monday that has shifted things from "more than likely paid for by the taxpayer" to staying with certainty that it was an event "subsidised by the taxpayer"?

So we can decipher that you are happy that the establishment parties are mingling with judges, baking lobbyists, heads of vulture funds, current affairs broadcasters etc when both parties have a long history of shady dealings and corruption with wealthy private individuals?

Or maybe you think this is perfectly good optics, you saw fit enough to respond so why don't you tell us what you think because my feelings are on record.

You'd have to be really, really stupid (or perhaps simply have an agenda) to "decipher" that from my highly encrypted post.

Well you have once again failed to offer an opinion, only an attempt to stifle that line of discussion.

The floor is yours if you have any backbone?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2020, 09:12:29 AM

If Hogan was to have any chance to survive and have people on side with the "f**k the p***k but we need him at the table" angle he should have come out immediately with a clear list of all his movements since returning to the country and offered a full apology.

Instead, he drip fed statements over a number of days trying to lay the blame at the door of others (the hotels federation ffs) and clearly withheld information (that was inevitably going to emerge anyway) in case it compromised him further. In doing that he lost all sympathy.

He wasn't hounded out of office. He fucked up time and again and Pele simply asked him to be held up account like any other Joe soap would expect to be.

I agree with all of this. I suspect he had something to hide that meant he couldn't come clean with a list of his movements across the country. I have no idea what this might have been although the old saying Cherchez la femme is usually useful in such cases.

Rossfan

I suspect he's hiding Shergar and went to check on him.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

andoireabu

Quote from: Hound on August 27, 2020, 09:06:36 AM
Quote from: andoireabu on August 27, 2020, 08:51:35 AM

He was 100% fired from the ministerial job he was appointed to and from the deputy leadership.
He can't be fired from the position he was elected to by his constituents (for this anyway) until the next election. But it's a big reduction in salary and monumental reduction in future pension entitlements, so he's been hit hard.

Wouldn't be keen on Coveney going to Europe. Not too many really impressive TDS around, but he's definitely one of them.

Can you put up an article there where it says he was fired?  Any I have seen say he resigned voluntarily.  And if his transgression was bad enough to resign a ministry and position within the party, was it not big enough to resign as a TD also and allow the people who voted him in to decide whether they want to keep him or not?  Though I suspect they know the answer to that so don't want to take the risk.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

gallsman

Quote from: Angelo on August 27, 2020, 09:24:15 AM

Well you have once again failed to offer an opinion, only an attempt to stifle that line of discussion.

What am I supposed to be offering an opinion on? My original point was that you were raising yourself by copying and pasting the same post from a couple of days previously.

You then suggested that I'm happy with all the cosy relationships you described. (Completely unrelated to my point in case you can't work it out)

I then pointed out that you'd have to be really f**king stupid to come to that conclusion?

Is it your intelligence you want my opinion on?

Main Street

A comment on RTE this morning about Hogan's resignation 

"he left big shoes to fill".

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Main Street on August 27, 2020, 11:30:19 AM
A comment on RTE this morning about Hogan's resignation 

"he left big shoes to fill".

A number of EU officials saying the same thing. Could Mairead McGuinness be his successor or would that throw the EU parliament into disarray?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Angelo

Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2020, 09:57:59 AM
Quote from: Angelo on August 27, 2020, 09:24:15 AM

What am I supposed to be offering an opinion on? My original point was that you were raising yourself by copying and pasting the same post from a couple of days previously.

You then suggested that I'm happy with all the cosy relationships you described. (Completely unrelated to my point in case you can't work it out)

I then pointed out that you'd have to be really f**king stupid to come to that conclusion?

Is it your intelligence you want my opinion on?

You could offer an opinion on the point you tried to stifle but it seems you are living up the old adage of "an empty vessel makes the most noise".

I think you need to have a semblance of intelligence before you could comment on others, so you're certainly unqualified to offer anything there.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL