26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

armaghniac

I don't think the commission will call on Hogan to resign, this isn't mispractice in office, each of the things he is accused of are things that would lead to other people resigning if that precedent was set. He isn't like Colleary, he attended the event and didn't organise it and did not have any particular knowledge of the regulations.
Let's say the President of the GAA was to attend some event where the Minister of Sport was speaking, and he said that he had be assured that the rules were followed and expected that the presence of the minister ensured that.
I don't think the government wants him to resign, they are merely sounding tough.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

The Government are in the comfy position that they can damn Hogan all day long knowing only the EU Commission can dump him.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

The big story really should be the public unearthing of Gov ministers, establishment party TDs and senators, court judgers, banking lobbyists and heads of vulture funds all mingling at an event subsidised for by the tax payer.

It just shows you the inner workings of FFG and how inherently corrupt they are and the type of people they serve and answer to
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

gallsman

Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 10:49:27 AM
The big story really should be the public unearthing of Gov ministers, establishment party TDs and senators, court judgers, banking lobbyists and heads of vulture funds all mingling at an event subsidised for by the tax payer.

It just shows you the inner workings of FFG and how inherently corrupt they are and the type of people they serve and answer to

Yes, we heard you the first time.

Quote from: Angelo on August 24, 2020, 01:01:42 PM
The big story for me is FFG political figures, judges, current affairs broadcaster, bankers, vulture fund heads and all the rest cosying up with each other a slimey little event more than likely paid for by the taxpayer. It just shows you how inherently corrupt FFG are and the arrogance that they have that restrictions don't apply to him, particularly when it comes to an opulent piss up.

What have you learned since Monday that has shifted things from "more than likely paid for by the taxpayer" to staying with certainty that it was an event "subsidised by the taxpayer"?

Angelo

Quote from: gallsman on August 26, 2020, 10:55:19 AM

The big story for me is FFG political figures, judges, current affairs broadcaster, bankers, vulture fund heads and all the rest cosying up with each other a slimey little event more than likely paid for by the taxpayer. It just shows you how inherently corrupt FFG are and the arrogance that they have that restrictions don't apply to him, particularly when it comes to an opulent piss up.

What have you learned since Monday that has shifted things from "more than likely paid for by the taxpayer" to staying with certainty that it was an event "subsidised by the taxpayer"?

So we can decipher that you are happy that the establishment parties are mingling with judges, baking lobbyists, heads of vulture funds, current affairs broadcasters etc when both parties have a long history of shady dealings and corruption with wealthy private individuals?

Surely this is a cause of concern?

Or maybe you think this is perfectly good optics, you saw fit enough to respond so why don't you tell us what you think because my feelings are on record.

armaghniac

Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 11:06:36 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 26, 2020, 10:55:19 AM

So we can decipher that you are happy that the establishment parties are mingling with judges, baking lobbyists, heads of vulture funds, current affairs broadcasters etc when both parties have a long history of shady dealings and corruption with wealthy private individuals?

Surely this is a cause of concern?

Or maybe you think this is perfectly good optics, you saw fit enough to respond so why don't you tell us what you think because my feelings are on record.

Does your workplace have a golf event or similar? Mine does, I think it also has a squash club although that is too energetic for me.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

I wondevwhat age Angelo is? I suspect around 16?
The establishments of all Countries have always been mingling together at social events since time immemorial.

From my limited knowledge of Golf Societies there's a membership fee and they pay to play on different courses and pay for social events which are often subsidised by the Society from the fees.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2020, 01:09:28 PM
The establishments of all Countries have always been mingling together at social events since time immemorial.

From my limited knowledge of Golf Societies there's a membership fee and they pay to play on different courses and pay for social events which are often subsidised by the Society from the fees.
Absolutely. Although the one I do have a problem with is the Supreme Court judge. I don't think he should be gallivanting with current government ministers, or even TDs. But it's good the courts are investigating him.

Angelo

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2020, 01:45:44 PM

Absolutely. Although the one I do have a problem with is the Supreme Court judge. I don't think he should be gallivanting with current government ministers, or even TDs. But it's good the courts are investigating him.

Just the judge?

What about a current affairs presenter from the state broadcaster?
A banking lobbyist?
Directors from a vulture fund?

All mixing, lobbying and greasing poles with Government Ministers and officials. It absolutely reeks, another extension of the FF tent in Galway and another insight into the mechanisms of the FFG mindset.

Puppets for Larry Goodman, Dennis O'Brien, large MNCs, banks and vulture funds. They are the people who influence policy in the 26, the FFG politicians are just the whores who sell their wares to implement those policies.

Hound

Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 02:20:46 PM

Just the judge?

A banking lobbyist?

All mixing, lobbying and greasing poles with Government Ministers and officials. It absolutely reeks, another extension of the FF tent in Galway and another insight into the mechanisms of the FFG mindset.

Puppets for Larry Goodman, Dennis O'Brien, large MNCs, banks and vulture funds. They are the people who influence policy in the 26, the FFG politicians are just the whores who sell their wares to implement those policies.
I haven't seen the full list of attendees (is it online anywhere?), I thought there was only one minister, who was duly fired, and 2/3 senators who got reprimanded, and have little influence anyway.

The RTÉ guy is retired I thought. And any chance of future work with RTE has gone up in flames.

Business people mingling with politicians (or mainly ex-politicians in this case) is hardly news.

Is Pearse Doherty the shadow finance minister now? I guarantee whoever it is will be guest speaker at a large number of business events over the coming 2 years (even if they are held virtually), run by big business, accountants, lawyers and/or banks. That's the way it works. Doesn't mean there are brown paper bags being passed around (anymore anyway!). Equally SF have been building friendships across media platforms too.

So, other than Covid, and the judge, I don't there was anything untoward about the guest list, from the limited pieces I've seen (caveat that I haven't seen the full list)

Angelo

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2020, 02:45:16 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 02:20:46 PM

Just the judge?

A banking lobbyist?

I haven't seen the full list of attendees (is it online anywhere?), I thought there was only one minister, who was duly fired, and 2/3 senators who got reprimanded, and have little influence anyway.

The RTÉ guy is retired I thought. And any chance of future work with RTE has gone up in flames.

Business people mingling with politicians (or mainly ex-politicians in this case) is hardly news.

Is Pearse Doherty the shadow finance minister now? I guarantee whoever it is will be guest speaker at a large number of business events over the coming 2 years (even if they are held virtually), run by big business, accountants, lawyers and/or banks. That's the way it works. Doesn't mean there are brown paper bags being passed around (anymore anyway!). Equally SF have been building friendships across media platforms too.

So, other than Covid, and the judge, I don't there was anything untoward about the guest list, from the limited pieces I've seen (caveat that I haven't seen the full list)

The RTE guy is the epitome of an establishment shill, so it was absolutely no surprise to see he was schmoozing around with FFG figures at an Oireachtas golf event. I think it shows the kind of cesspit RTE is, they had the sister of a high ranking FF TD chairing the key live TV debate before the election, clambering over everyone to "let Michael Martin speak" with softy, softy questions laid on for him before the last election.

Brian Hayes, ex FG TD and MEP was there in his current role as president of some baking lobbying group, his three guests are said to have been directors from a vulture fund called Promontoria.

It's certainly very bad optics for a social umbrella of Government to be wining and dining all these people of vested interests, wealth and influence together.

The Covid angle shows the arrogance of these people.

But the bigger story here is the type of circle you have at a state social outing. It's not good optics for government or the politicians to be mixing in these type of circles, particularly when the two main representative parties (FF & FG) have a long shadowy history of corruption and underhand dealings.

bannside

As opposed to which political party exactly that could inspire confidence that all matters would be upfront above board, wholly transparent and not a sign in sight of an underhand deal?

Angelo

Quote from: bannside on August 26, 2020, 04:25:43 PM
As opposed to which political party exactly that could inspire confidence that all matters would be upfront above board, wholly transparent and not a sign in sight of an underhand deal?

There are parties out there who are not mired in political corruption scandals like FFG. There are political parties out there not joined at the hip with people like Larry Goodman and Denis O'Brien, property developers and banks and their own interests.

This is fundamentally what political parties and politicians should be held to account for.

The 26 now has a Taoiseach that took bungs from property developers and political commentators and media broadcasters didn't find this matter of public interest in the run-up to the last election.

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on August 26, 2020, 06:19:49 PM
Quote from: bannside on August 26, 2020, 04:25:43 PM

There are parties out there who are not mired in political corruption scandals like FFG. There are political parties out there not joined at the hip with people like Larry Goodman and Denis O'Brien, property developers and banks and their own interests.

This is fundamentally what political parties and politicians should be held to account for.

The 26 now has a Taoiseach that took bungs from property developers and political commentators and media broadcasters didn't find this matter of public interest in the run-up to the last election.

There are political parties out there who have been joined at the hip with paramilitary organisations. Does that not bother you?