Cork v Tyrone

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2018, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

My post should have said second half actually. I was right infront of where he was playing at every Cavan attack and McShane was marking him well.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on July 05, 2018, 11:30:28 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 04, 2018, 11:48:11 PM
Looks like we might see Bradley on the bench.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/44719876

I'd go with the following for Saturday:

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
McClure
Meyler
Sludden
Donnelly
RoNeill
McAliskey
R Donnelly/McShane

Think either Ritchy of McShane could be under pressure to hold their place. Surely we have to get more natural forwards on the pitch? Can see Ronan getting a start especially now that Bradley is available to get some game time off the bench.

Whilst I agree McShane is frustrating to watch I still think he has credit in the bank from the Meath equaliser and he has been tagging over a point or two in every game despite playing around the middle. If there are any changes I think McClure could be most under threat, he hasn't been playing well and with Cork traditionally being a big physical side I think it's possible McNulty could get the nod.

Richie Donnelly deserves to keep his place I think, Cork play a more open style of football compared to Cavan and Carlow which should give us more opportunities for direct ball into the full forward line which is what Richie is there for. Ronan O'Neill played very well the last day when he came on but he will have to settle for the same role this weekend, whilst it is also great to have Bradley back.

I'm expecting to see Morgan reinstated in goal and to keep his place for the rest of the year if we get through. I saw trileacman a couple of pages back on this board say about Morgan 'his weekly clangers deny himself and the fullback line of any confidence.' Maybe something has slipped my mind but has Morgan ever made a clanger costing us a goal? I think he is a far more reliable keeper than O'Neill and the only complaint I have with him is that he continues to come up for frees although even this obviously comes from management instruction.

Agree about Morgan. Other than missed frees and some poor kickouts in 15 v Kerry he has been very reliable. I can think of more obvious blunders from O'Neill from less games played.

Hoping to see a bit of improvement this week, it'll be needed. I'd personally make a change in midfield though not convinced McNulty the option either.

trileacman

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
McClure
Meyler
Sludden
Donnelly
RoNeill
McAliskey
R Donnelly/McShane

Think either Ritchy of McShane could be under pressure to hold their place. Surely we have to get more natural forwards on the pitch? Can see Ronan getting a start especially now that Bradley is available to get some game time off the bench.
I'm expecting to see Morgan reinstated in goal and to keep his place for the rest of the year if we get through. I saw trileacman a couple of pages back on this board say about Morgan 'his weekly clangers deny himself and the fullback line of any confidence.' Maybe something has slipped my mind but has Morgan ever made a clanger costing us a goal? I think he is a far more reliable keeper than O'Neill and the only complaint I have with him is that he continues to come up for frees although even this obviously comes from management instruction.

Cost us a goal against Dublin in the league when the game was very much in the balance with a foray outfield. Really what I'm referring to is his short kick outs not finding their man. I'd safely say in the last 3 years of matches against division 1 opposition I'd find a clear example in every game of a point conceeded with a loose kickout. Add that to the fact that he's too small to dominant the aerial ball into the square and he doesn't save many goalward bound shots then I don't really rate him. He's actually a poorer shot stopper than O'Neill the only reason it's not common knowledge is that Tyrone's defence allows such few goal scoring opportunities. We really only allow 1 goal scoring opportunity to arise in a match and I'd say Morgan concedes 90% of those shots at him.

The lack of an aerial presence I can forgive but in the modern game it's his inconsistency with kick outs that make him a b-rate keeper. In his defence it has to be said that the lack of decent high fielders in the Tyrone squad means that when teams push up and rule out the short kick out he's left with practically no good options.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trueblue1234

Quote from: trileacman on July 05, 2018, 01:40:30 PM

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
McClure
Meyler
Sludden
Donnelly
RoNeill
McAliskey
R Donnelly/McShane

Cost us a goal against Dublin in the league when the game was very much in the balance with a foray outfield. Really what I'm referring to is his short kick outs not finding their man. I'd safely say in the last 3 years of matches against division 1 opposition I'd find a clear example in every game of a point conceeded with a loose kickout. Add that to the fact that he's too small to dominant the aerial ball into the square and he doesn't save many goalward bound shots then I don't really rate him. He's actually a poorer shot stopper than O'Neill the only reason it's not common knowledge is that Tyrone's defence allows such few goal scoring opportunities. We really only allow 1 goal scoring opportunity to arise in a match and I'd say Morgan concedes 90% of those shots at him.

The lack of an aerial presence I can forgive but in the modern game it's his inconsistency with kick outs that make him a b-rate keeper. In his defence it has to be said that the lack of decent high fielders in the Tyrone squad means that when teams push up and rule out the short kick out he's left with practically no good options.

God it's weird how different people see things differently. I would have said that Morgan's kickouts are relatively strong. Certainly I'd be much more confident of him over O'Neill. I actually rate Morgan and definitely think he's Tyrone's strongest option in nets and actually for the size of him I'd rate him over O'Neill in the air as well. I'd be more than happy with him in there going forward and think he'll get stronger. With regards to the frees, I'd definitely limit his input there. I know we're not strong here anyway and I'd say it's a case of, needs must with him. But I'd rather see us taking some of the long range frees short (And Quickly, Not waiting and looking around to see what's happening and allowing the opposition to get men back). But other than that, happy with Morgan and always have been.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

square_ball

Yeah I'd rate Morgan over O'Neill in all those aspects you mention especially shot stopping. You'd be hard pressed to find a keeper who doesn't make a mistake every match (or at least most matches) that leads to the score. In the era of short kick outs that's the risk every keeper takes now. O'Neill was poor against Cavan.

bigpackiechestout

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
McClure
Meyler
Sludden
Donnelly
RoNeill
McAliskey
R Donnelly/McShane

Haha you really don't rate him at all. Total difference of opinion here, I would have said his reliability under the high ball is one of his biggest strengths as a keeper and I would be surprised if he is any shorter than Mickey O'Neill. I also think that goal v Dublin in the league was completely Hampsey's fault, Morgan was trying to create the overlap as Dublin had pressed our kickout but Hampsey messed it up

omagh_gael

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Harte
Colm
McClure
Meyler
Sludden
Donnelly
RoNeill
McAliskey
R Donnelly/McShane

Niall Morgan was not at fault for that goal against Dublin, that's utter rubbish. He went short to Hampsey (straight into the chest) and went for return pass to create the overlap. Hampsey completely fcuked up the return handpass and sent it straight to a Dublin man who passed off to O'Gara for the simple finish.

See 1hr 17mins here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WkCvZnLKU0

WT4E

What about this curve ball play both Morgan and O'Neill!

twohands!!!

Quote from: WT4E on July 05, 2018, 03:39:24 PM

Sssh - don't be giving the more defensive minded managers ideas

Dire Ear

Quote from: WT4E on July 05, 2018, 03:39:24 PM
Aye,  Ronan...!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tír Eoghain

1 N Morgan

2 P Hamspey

3 R McNamee

4 M McKernan

5 T Mc Cann

6 F Burns

7 P Harte

8 C Cavanagh

9 D McClure

10 M Donnelly

11 N Sludden

12 C Meyler

13 C McShane

14 R Donnelly

15 C McAliskey

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Anyway, happy enough with that 15, and with both R O'N and Mark Sparky to spring from the bench, amongst others, should be more than enough to trouble the Langers :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Good enough to make the super dooper 8s.

Rois

I was up at Garvaghey last night (locked out for a while!) and saw a paraglider in the wilds of Tyrone soaring over the training pitches. Those Cork lads will stop at nothing  8)

longballin

Wouldn't need a handglider to know Tyrone's tactics.