'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2018, 11:34:49 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 22, 2018, 02:49:48 AM
Just checked there and the name of the group is "Gaelic Athletes for Life" rather than GAA athletes. A minor but significant difference tbf

'GAA Athletes for a NO vote'

'GAA Athletes for a NO vote' has launched its campaign, in advance of the Referendum on the Eighth Amendment.

The Referendum will take place on Friday May 25, 2018.

'GAA Athletes for a NO vote' launched its campaign earlier today (Saturday, April 21), at Ballyfermot Sports Centre in Dublin.

The group said it also planned to issue a series of videos, featuring well-known GAA players over the coming month, in which the players will give their reasons for voting NO.

Today's launch of ''GAA Athletes for a NO vote' was attended by: Joe Sheridan (Meath), Patrick Gallagher (Antrim), Aoife Cassidy (Derry, All Ireland Camogie winning captain), Anne-Marie McDonagh (Galway Ladies Football) and Micky Harte (Tyrone Manager).

A statement issued at the event said: "The mission statement in the GAA's Strategic Plan assures us that, 'We actively seek to engage with and include all members of our society.'

"The GAA's vision is 'that everyone be welcome to participate fully in our games and culture, that they thrive and develop their potential, and be inspired to keep a lifelong engagement with our Association.'

"Many young men and women are wondering how to vote. The GAA insists that there is a place for everybody in our Association, regardless of ability, or disability, regardless of background, regardless of race.

"We are an inclusive organisation. There is a space for everybody at our table. Sport is a place where people come together to test themselves, to strive for greatness, to fulfil their potential, and to express their unique gifts as part of a team.

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/gaa-athletes-no-vote/220650

Those are fairly muddy waters, at best.

Especially given Ireland outsources abortion to England
Big Joe and Co are defending an Ireland that does not exist 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: whitey on April 22, 2018, 03:14:33 AM
Sure wasnt Enda and a gang over in Ruislip at the Mayo game campaigning against Brexit outside the stadium.

And the (hammered) Mayo fan was interviewed afterwards by RTE complaining about all the foreigners coming in taking the jobs.

Mickey Harte is entitled to his opinion. He is recognized and respected North and South, but why in Gods name (if he/she exists) would anyone cast their vote based on what the manager of a football team has to say on the matter.

Well, they rolled out all the sports stars, musicians, actors for the Lisbon Treaty. It clearly worked. People really are that easily manipulated.

Jinxy

I wouldn't underestimate the effect that the support of a public, well-liked 'non-political' figure, can have on voters who are on the fence or simply indifferent to the issue at hand.
As I said before, everyone is entitled to have their say and publicly support whichever side they want, but I don't want the GAA dragged into it.
For all the careful wording this group are using, it is fairly evident that they are using the GAA as a platform by proxy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 22, 2018, 06:42:13 AM
It's scary how quickly people point the "you aren't part of us" finger when it suits them. Of course the GAA name shouldn't be bought into this debate but neither should people from the north's right to have a view on it. It's our country too. Hardly any wonder partition was allowed to happen when you scrape the surface and see what the true colours of how partitionist some people from the south actually are. Regardless of the abortion debate it's depressing how some people from the south view the north of this country.

That's not an issue for me at least.
I just have a problem with the association being appropriated as a vehicle for promoting this group's agenda.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2018, 01:07:57 PM
It's scary how quickly people point the "you aren't part of us" finger when it suits them. Of course the GAA name shouldn't be bought into this debate but neither should people from the north's right to have a view on it. It's our country too. Hardly any wonder partition was allowed to happen when you scrape the surface and see what the true colours of how partitionist some people from the south actually are. Regardless of the abortion debate it's depressing how some people from the south view the north of this country.

I just have a problem with the association being appropriated as a vehicle for promoting this group's agenda.

Were you as concerned when the GPA declared in favour of marriage equality?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Jinxy

No, because I'm not a member of the GPA.

Orchard park

Quote from: trileacman on April 22, 2018, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2018, 01:07:57 PM

Were you as concerned when the GPA declared in favour of marriage equality?

Apples and oranges trillick.

Let mickey stick to the coaching and stop preaching to others ....

Avondhu star

Quote from: whitey on April 22, 2018, 04:43:52 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 22, 2018, 04:30:04 AM
Quote from: whitey on April 22, 2018, 03:14:33 AM
Sure wasnt Enda and a gang over in Ruislip at the Mayo game campaigning against Brexit outside the stadium.

And the (hammered) Mayo fan was interviewed afterwards by RTE complaining about all the foreigners coming in taking the jobs.

Mickey Harte is entitled to his opinion. He is recognized and respected North and South, but why in Gods name (if he/she exists) would anyone cast their vote based on what the manager of a football team has to say on the matter.

I'll correct myself. You're the real king of the bad take.

Dont you have a sheep to be attending to, or a Brendan Shine concert to attend rather than criticizing very intelligent and meaningful posts like mine?
It always comes back to the sheep
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

The people whining about Mickey Harte etc getting involved in a political issue are the same ones who wanted the GAA to come out in support of hunger strikers etc
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

longballin

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 22, 2018, 01:48:46 PM
The people whining about Mickey Harte etc getting involved in a political issue are the same ones who wanted the GAA to come out in support of hunger strikers etc

I'd say most of them weren't born 37 years ago and the ones who were would have been at least 16... do the maths thats a daft statement.

twohands!!!

The thing is I can't really see any point in the whole thing.

Are there really all that many people whose vote is going to be affected by this one way or the other?

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 22, 2018, 02:26:01 PM
The thing is I can't really see any point in the whole thing.

Are there really all that many people whose vote is going to be affected by this one way or the other?

Using the GAA IP haphazzardly can seriously damage the sport.

Sweeper 123

People can have an opinion and they are allowed to share that - i dont see what the issue is here;

Calling themselves Gaelic Athletes possibly is of concern for the GAA but i will leave that with them.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on April 22, 2018, 01:26:32 PM
No, because I'm not a member of the GPA.

The dissociation between the GPA and the GAA is tenuous at the very least given that the GPA is now a fully endorsed and funded wing of the GAA.

The groups name and location of their event may cross a line in the rule book but there's a hugely disproportionate reaction to it. Had Harte not been involved I doubt if this would have reached a full page of comment. Had the group been supporting repeal I doubt if comment would have been passed at all on this board.

There has been a succession of reasons as to its impropriety, each more desperate than the last, first was the name (since debunked), second was the "nationality" of those passing comment (also challenged), then there was the venue and lastly has been the programme for the day. To me it seems people are much more willing to challenge the group than they are challenge the argument they are supporting.

It's become a rather typical response in discourse nowadays, playing the man and not the ball etc. If you believe strongly in repealing the 8th it should be easy to rebuke this group views and arguments rather than having to deny their right to lobby due to rather minor infringements of the GAA's rule book.

I've no dog in this fight, do as you wish with the 8th amendment. However I'm tired of opinion or comment being stifled instead of being countered.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

armaghniac

If you believe in aborting people then you are hardly likely to refrain from playing the man if he is in your way.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B