Factors that can help you become a good footballer!

Started by From the Bunker, November 26, 2017, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 27, 2017, 08:17:10 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 27, 2017, 04:02:23 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2017, 02:08:48 PM
Quote from: ned on November 27, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 27, 2017, 09:48:58 AM
I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

You are either a natural or your not. However, beyond that, practice and hard work are needed no matter your skill levels. You can learn to kick with your weaker foot, you can train to be able to jump higher, you can learn how to deal better with situations with experience. So I guess better hand to eye coordination can be learned. Take one good and one average sportsman, with the less skillful one putting in the hours of practice, I reckon the average player will have more success. I'm sure most of us know players within our clubs who had all the talent but did not progress as they were lazy, not dedicated or whatever. Very few make it to the top without hard graft.

i dont believe that for a minute

?
Do you believe everyone is born with the same ability?

People are born with zero skill. They may have physical traits that help them. Size and speed are the two biggest ones, though even speed can be gained with the right training. Agility, balance, vision, skill, temperament and everything else can be taught. Give me a team of kids who are disciplined and good learners above anything else.

That's Patently wrong. Throughout the history of any sport there have been examples of players who have that wee bit extra, a touch of genius. That cannot be learned.
bull
they learn that somewhere or see it being done

Its an interesting discussion this.
Where do they learn it though?
For me, I could spend hours and hours trying but Id never be able to do the Cruyff turn. Catching a ball pon the other hand came naturally - although practise helped

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 28, 2017, 01:42:06 PM
I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

You are either a natural or your not. However, beyond that, practice and hard work are needed no matter your skill levels. You can learn to kick with your weaker foot, you can train to be able to jump higher, you can learn how to deal better with situations with experience. So I guess better hand to eye coordination can be learned. Take one good and one average sportsman, with the less skillful one putting in the hours of practice, I reckon the average player will have more success. I'm sure most of us know players within our clubs who had all the talent but did not progress as they were lazy, not dedicated or whatever. Very few make it to the top without hard graft.

?

People are born with zero skill. They may have physical traits that help them. Size and speed are the two biggest ones, though even speed can be gained with the right training. Agility, balance, vision, skill, temperament and everything else can be taught. Give me a team of kids who are disciplined and good learners above anything else.

That's Patently wrong. Throughout the history of any sport there have been examples of players who have that wee bit extra, a touch of genius. That cannot be learned.
bull

For me, I could spend hours and hours trying but Id never be able to do the Cruyff turn. Catching a ball pon the other hand came naturally - although practise helped

If your ball control and agility isn't good enough to do a fecking Cruyff turn you improve those first, not endlessly attempt a difficult move..

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on November 28, 2017, 01:58:01 PM

?

bull

If your ball control and agility isn't good enough to do a fecking Cruyff turn you improve those first, not endlessly attempt a difficult move..

Which is what I meant. Not that I'm bothered, that wasn't/isn't my game in soccer, it was just an example

ned

Quote from: weareros on November 28, 2017, 11:40:26 AM
Good pair of boots. Was sold an auld pair of Blackthorn boots that must have been sitting on a shop shelf for over forty years or more. I was told that's what the legends of the past wore. I could neither run nor shoot straight with them.

Snap. They were wicked as a full back if you had to take the kick outs.

ned

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 28, 2017, 03:00:39 PM

?

bull

Which is what I meant. Not that I'm bothered, that wasn't/isn't my game in soccer, it was just an example

This is a roundabout argument. Agree hard work is needed to become a top player. Through hard work, practice and greater passion you can become better. But try as I might, and I put many hours in, I was shite at running with a gaelic football.

rosnarun

Quote from: ned on November 28, 2017, 03:27:10 PM

?

bull

If your ball control and agility isn’t good enough to do a fecking Cruyff turn you improve those first, not endlessly attempt a difficult move..

This is a roundabout argument. Agree hard work is needed to become a top player. Through hard work, practice and greater passion you can become better. But try as I might, and I put many hours in, I was shite at running with a gaelic football.
Sometimes you need a coach to teach you the more difficult aspects of the game I deally that would start as young as possible such as a parent of older sibling
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Itchy

I think tradition is a big thing. If you come from a parish that is winning, used to winning and expects to win you will prosper. Its not the same if you come from a junior club that always struggles and people around the place don't give a shit.

I also think the number of kids at your age group is a factor. For example the ideal number would be around 20 kids. If you are small and only have say 13 you are grand until you pass U12 and then you start pulling in younger kids to make up the numbers when the inevitable couple drop out. That brings your standard down and you end up competing in lower levels which in turn reduces your capacity to improve.

tonto1888

Quote from: ned on November 28, 2017, 03:27:10 PM

?

bull

My point was that some things come more naturally than others

Zulu

I think it's really quite simple there are definitely kids born with more talent than their peers which means if they work as hard as their peers they will be better than them. Lots of factors help make a person the player they become but we aren't all born equal. If we could all reach exceptional standards when provided the same environment in which to develop then exceptional players would be far more common. If you took 100 kids from birth and provided them with the exact same developmental environment (sport, music, education and everything else) there would be some exceptional kids, some very weak ones and the majority across the spectrum between those extremes.

manfromdelmonte

if you're brought up in a culture of watching great players perform the skills at the highest level, you will try to mimic them
similarly, bad habits are learned by watching poor examples of technique

children learn so much by observing, (over and over again) and then retrying the situation in informal play eg school yard, back garden, low pressure matches.
its why children need to go to live games
its why they also need to see good players training (skill development)

Henry Sheflin was not an outstanding young player, but kept on developing through to adulthood

Milltown Row2

Spatcial awareness, the ability to play with the head up and being tactically aware of the strengths and weaknesses of your own players and the opposition..

Timing, when to play a pass, when to shoot, when to draw a foul and when take one for the team.

Perfecting the basics and developing the skills before under 10!

Creating a passion and a will to win and learn from the mistakes..

But ultimately making sure they enjoy it

Feck, I wish I could go back >:(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

DuffleKing

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2017, 11:11:15 PM
Spatcial awareness, the ability to play with the head up and being tactically aware of the strengths and weaknesses of your own players and the opposition..

Timing, when to play a pass, when to shoot, when to draw a foul and when take one for the team.

You're describing what a good player is as opposed to how you get there...

Buckass

Messi had two older brothers, good players, that he played with for hours on end on pitch at back of his house. He was youngest on Newell old boys team that went unbeaten for 8 years...playing with older bigger players of excellent standard. We all know the excellent underage player who never made it, prob down to running the gauntlet and when others physically caught up their advantage left them short on other skills. Messis father was also a soccer coach. He wasn't just popped out a superstar.
Number of accounts of Ronaldo spending extra hours on free kicks etc when @ utd. Think I read It in Roy Keane's book bout ronaldo s phenomenal training routine too
Dublin run a shooting drill that became very competitive & remember seeing that eoghan o gara was biggest improved over the year matching b brogan by end of it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 28, 2017, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2017, 11:11:15 PM

You're describing what a good player is as opposed to how you get there...

Sorry, I meant to say, teach/coach a player to understand spatial awareness and timing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Having the skill, physical attributes is one thing. The most important thing successful sports people have is a head that's right. A belief in themselves. A good coach can help but really it down to yourself.