The most bonkers moments in GAA

Started by BennyCake, April 27, 2020, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Cavan played Meath in the 1952 All Ireland.

3 brothers featured in the final, which is mad enough. However, 2 Maguire Brothers played for Cavan, the 3rd Maguire brother played for Meath.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on May 08, 2020, 09:31:41 AM
Cavan played Meath in the 1952 All Ireland.

3 brothers featured in the final, which is mad enough. However, 2 Maguire Brothers played for Cavan, the 3rd Maguire brother played for Meath.

Also Edwin Carolan's equalising point in the dying seconds of that game. Everyone thought the ball had gone over the endline near the corner. Carolan hoofed it towards the goals, apparently to save time, and it somehow went over the bar.

Cavan won the replay.

Rossfan

Couldn't find anywhere better for this ;D
The Prenty Balloon went up in Bekan today.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2020, 07:12:20 PM
Couldn't find anywhere better for this ;D
The Prenty Balloon went up in Bekan today.

In fairness it will be some sight to behold in such a blesk spot.

sid waddell

Quote from: redzone on May 06, 2020, 08:58:16 AM
The time the Dublin fans spat down on Tommy Lyons after a defeat. Never heard of it happening before or after in the gaa
I don't recall him being spat at but I do recall the infamous photo of the man roaring down at him with his young son in tow after Westmeath beat Dublin in 2004. Tommy was a wee bit unlucky there as those steps he was descending had only just been constructed and opened for 2004, if you look at footage of matches in 2003 they weren't there. If they hadn't been constructed yer man wouldn't have got the chance to do what he did.

Such an incident was not without precedent in Dublin however, Mickey Whelan got an even rougher time of it six and a half years earlier when he was effectively hounded out of the Dublin job by the boo boys after losing to Offaly in the league at Parnell Park.

Farrandeelin

Watching the David Brady Laochra Gael show again last night, Colm Coyle's point to snatch a draw for Meath. How it bounced over the bar, bonkers I tells ya, f**king bonkers. :-[
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sid waddell

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2020, 08:32:43 AM
Watching the David Brady Laochra Gael show again last night, Colm Coyle's point to snatch a draw for Meath. How it bounced over the bar, bonkers I tells ya, f**king bonkers. :-[
Meath had previous form for last gasp equalising points which bounced over the bar.  ;)

naka

Quote from: dec on May 06, 2020, 05:03:43 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 06, 2020, 09:38:52 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2020, 03:13:18 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2020, 11:48:19 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 05, 2020, 02:32:11 PM
Armagh's comeback v Fermanagh in 1993.

Don't know how I forgot about that one!

We should have a Houdini thread or a Lazarus one, perhaps.

Armagh had 7 matches that year didnt they?

Then there was the match with the ridiculous overhead point from the end line.... against Donegal wasnt? That was truly a bonkers moment, people are still trying to figure what or how it happened

We had 6 matches in 1993, and still didn't reach the Ulster final.

Was that Damien O'Reilly's point in 1992 you're thinking of?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iZO2BmUxA

I went to them all and watched the band wagon grow. I think the first game in Fermanagh had a less than 10,000 crowd, miserable wet day as well.

The first 4 games had similarities, Armagh getting late points or goals go grab a draw or a win. Then in first Donegal game it was Armagh who gave up a late lead as Donegal snatched a draw, it felt like a missed opportunity.

Tbf Colm hanratty was clearly pushed in the last minute  off the ball by the Donegal forward  when he  equalised.
A dreadful decision.

BennyCake

Watched GAA Gold earlier. 1986, Galway United played a UEFA cup match at Carraroe GAA pitch in Connemara.

What was that all about?

dec

Quote from: BennyCake on July 27, 2020, 12:37:00 AM
Watched GAA Gold earlier. 1986, Galway United played a UEFA cup match at Carraroe GAA pitch in Connemara.

What was that all about?

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-daily-mail/20180803/282441349901921

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: BennyCake on May 06, 2020, 01:21:34 PM
Found the Dessie Dolan clip.

I'd say he's still having sleepless nights about this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwyn__J4t0w

Notice the jersey pull on the referee Mick Curley when he awarded the free. Probably not advised nowadays.
This is an example of how heavily history can weigh. Westmeath had never beaten their neighbours in over 100 years of trying and a gimme becomes an ordeal.

I also remember Cormac Murphy who was playing corner back for Meath was straight over to Dolan to goad him for that miss.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 01:54:10 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 27, 2020, 04:04:03 PM
The Biffos sitdown protest in the 1998 semi versus Clare was a bit mad!

Certainly the maddest thing I've ever saw and it was live on TV at the time.
There was meant to be either a B or intermediate championship game on after that game and it had to be cancelled.
If you watch the footage of it again there's either Carlow or Kildare hurlers pucking balls about in the background.

Biffo's went on to win the AI that year IIRC.

Clare were out on their feet in the replay.

Aye, Klare were out on their feet in the replay even though Offaly had played more matches than them at this stage!  :)
Though psychologically the were running out of motivation and much of Loughnane's apparently crazed behaviour in 1998 was trying to drag the performances out of them.

It was the Kerry and Kildare U21 hurlers who were playing afterwards. One Kerry player who was delighted with the postponement was Paul Galvin who had gone on the rip with his team mates the day before. The match was played a week later as the undercard to the Kerry vs. Kildare football semi and Kerry prevailed.

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on May 06, 2020, 07:27:40 PM
Aye, John Duffy got 2 late points. We blew it that day.

Think that was his first senior championship game too.

And yes, Armagh blew it! We were fairly poor. Think we got two early goals in the replay which ended the match.

We also got two early goals in Ballybofey in '99 which you came back from and which arguably was the launch of that Armagh team.

seafoid

McEniff spent a Sunday night after losing a semi final to Galway in 83 wondering how Donegal could win Sam.

They did the job in 92. After that McHugh could never buy his own dinner in New York.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on July 27, 2020, 06:51:48 PM
McEniff spent a Sunday night after losing a semi final to Galway in 83 wondering how Donegal could win Sam.

He got locked into a park in Rathmines and sat on a bench all night.