Burns wants rid of Tricolour & Anthem to attract Protestants to GAA

Started by Line Ball, September 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 30, 2015, 09:39:17 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2015, 12:04:29 AM
Here's the best part. The people who would prefer to keep the anthem and flag as it is are the same people who most fervently want a united Ireland.

To achieve a united Ireland you need to convince a majority in the north to go for it.

To convince a majority in the north to go for it means getting a critical mass of moderate northern Protestants on board.

Getting a critical mass of moderate northern Protestants on board means making them more comfortable with Irish culture do it doesn't feel foreign or hostile to them.

Getting them more comfortable with Irish culture means making it more accessible to them through gestures like the one Jarlath proposes.

So the ones going on about how we should stick to the status quo are advocating a course that makes Irish unity less likely and more difficult to achieve.
Actually whilst I would prefer a UI, I wouldn't say it was a fervent wish. I'd happily settle for recognition in this state of my nationality and identity as been equal to our British neighbours until such times as they feel confident enough to take a step into a UI...the principle of consent.

Unionists take a step towards a UI? What are you smoking?

If unionists were told they'd be better off in terms of education, healthcare, employment, transport, social welfare, less taxes etc in a United ireland, or be part of UK and have none of those, they'd pick the latter. All they care about is being ruled by Britain, and are able to wave a union flag and declare their Britishness (whatever that is). That's all that matters to them. Same with their politicans. Kow-towing to Downing Street like a bunch of spineless lickspittles, in the fear that Britain will abandon them here with these Roman Catholics.

Them voluntarily opting to join a UI is totally fantasy.

foxcommander

Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2015, 09:34:56 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 30, 2015, 08:54:58 AM
Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2015, 07:40:04 AM
So do people feel more Irish when  the anthem is played or what?

Aside from the fact that we like to butcher it so much through dodgy sound systems and tone def scor winners, does anyone actually look forward to it at the start of a match? I know I don't

And the tricolour, is there really any need for it? Like I'm not fussed either way but it would hardly be a travesty if it went? Club, county and provincial colours far more relevant.

I enjoy it at a full house in croker or a t a big championship game, it adds to the atmosphere and sense of occasion.
I tell a lie, the pipe band for the Munster final is something else

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 30, 2015, 09:18:55 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 29, 2015, 04:12:37 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2015, 01:20:49 PM
I can just about tolerate national anthems when actual nations are playing against each other.
Get rid of it.

I agree with Jinxy on this.

There is no place in sport for politics or chauvanistic nationalism.
Easy to say when you live in a state that recognises your ethnicity. Try living in a state which since its foundation has only recognised the ethnicity of what is now about 49% of its people. A state that oppressed everything remotely Irish and you might understand the importance of the GAA and events like county finals which recognise that Irishness. The GAA is a culturally Irish organisation which has given a sense of belonging to people like me who grew up in a time when you dare not show any expression of Irishness.
Totally agree

Keep contradicting yourself.
You're the same sort of plastic oirish who cries nationalism after a few beers listening to U2 and singing fields of athenry while on holiday in Tenerife
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: winghalfun on September 30, 2015, 10:01:14 AM
QuoteWe need to reclaim the tricolour from SF rallies

I'm sure SF would gladly let other Nationalist parties have the tricolour if they were willing to take it.

Fianna Fail dust theirs off around election times.

general_lee

Is the flag and anthem really that important to you foxie?? I mean forget everything else the GAA stands for as an institution, suddenly we are selling our souls at sheer thought of change  ::)

foxcommander

Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2015, 02:57:43 PM
Is the flag and anthem really that important to you foxie?? I mean forget everything else the GAA stands for as an institution, suddenly we are selling our souls at sheer thought of change  ::)

Already sold our souls changing rule 21.
I personally couldn't care less about "reaching out". It's an open door for anyone who wants to play the game. You can kid yourselves that removing the flags and anthem is going to change the perception about the sport.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: theskull1 on September 30, 2015, 09:25:59 AM
Eamonnca1
If we removed the flag and anthem from our games, unionist would accuse the GAA of trying to lure unionists toward a United Ireland. I think Jarlath know that himself

There's no winning with them. They appear to just want to get us to jump through hoops (if they could) for the sheer enjoyment of it all.

And I say again that there are nuances within unionism. Some of them will display the attitude that you describe, others will be appreciative and will feel more inclined to get involved with the GAA.

general_lee

Quote from: foxcommander on September 30, 2015, 03:24:28 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2015, 02:57:43 PM

Already sold our souls changing rule 21.
I personally couldn't care less about "reaching out". It's an open door for anyone who wants to play the game. You can kid yourselves that removing the flags and anthem is going to change the perception about the sport.
So a collection of words, which I dare say you and many others don't even know the meaning of, is that important? Even if it doesn't encourage more unionists it's a played out novelty that has worn off. Maybe for All Ireland finals but every match - no thanks. It's ironic that if you actually supported the principles behind the flag you'd be open to removing it from GAA stadia in the interests of reconciliation.

foxcommander

Quote from: general_lee on September 30, 2015, 05:15:24 PM

Even if it doesn't encourage more unionists it's a played out novelty that has worn off.

Has it now? That's your throwaway attitude towards it. Means nothing to you obviously.

Eamonnca1

The people who wave the tricolour the most always seem to be the people who understand its meaning the least. Particularly the orange part.

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on September 30, 2015, 05:45:27 PM

Even if it doesn't encourage more unionists it's a played out novelty that has worn off.

Has it now? That's your throwaway attitude towards it. Means nothing to you obviously.
It's an opinion shared by most of the contributors on this thread, all of whom are here as they have a shared interest in GAA.

Maguire01

Quote from: Pangurban on September 29, 2015, 09:51:11 PM
Would an acceptance of Jarlaths proposal be an abandonment of the core priniciples of the G.A.A. While the association is avowedly non sectarian and non party political it is founded on clear nationalist principles ie. the support for a 32 Co.soveriegn irish republic the promotion of irish culture  , games ,language,dance etc. and the fostering of a national irish conscienceness. These principles were clearly stated by the founders in 1884 and have been reiterated in every official guide published since.
The Basic Aim of the GAA:
The Association is a National Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

I read it that the National Identity is strengthened through the games themselves, not through a flag or an anthem.

There's also the not insignificant point that the GAA was established decades before the anthem was written and long before the tricolour was first recognised as the national flag.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 30, 2015, 07:59:57 PM

It's an opinion shared by most of the contributors on this thread, all of whom are here as they have a shared interest in GAA.

Shouldn't the national anthem just be banned altogether this being the case? Is that what you're saying?

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on September 30, 2015, 09:15:40 PM

Shouldn't the national anthem just be banned altogether this being the case? Is that what you're saying?
No, it isn't. Are you reading words that aren't there?

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 30, 2015, 09:26:36 PM

Should it be removed from other sporting occasions too? What about that rugby crowd using it?

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on September 30, 2015, 09:28:41 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 30, 2015, 09:26:36 PM

Should it be removed from other sporting occasions too? What about that rugby crowd using it?
I'm not too concerned with what other sports or sporting occasions do.