Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 08, 2010, 06:48:54 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on November 08, 2010, 06:39:54 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2010, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on November 08, 2010, 06:31:34 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 07, 2010, 10:09:57 PM
Jesus Nally, I know lots of solicitors and doctors who vote Sinn Fein, I doubt they'd be very happy with you.

Walk into a Queen's medicine lecture or a Queens or Jordanstown law lecture and count how many country GAA tops you see, the majority of who I presume would be Sinn Fein voters.

Perhaps you'd prefer things to return to the bad old days when Catholics couldn't get work and were forced to rely on benefits to survive.
You have a crack at nally for being a snob and then come out with the bit i have highlighted? Reads a bit snobbish to me.  Are you saying that nobody from a city club votes Sinn Féin?

Em, no.
So then why stick the country GAA supporters in your point?
Maybe there aren't not that many city GAA tops around the universities?
But there are still some, so why make the distinction in the first place? Why not just say "GAA jerseys"?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 08, 2010, 06:56:47 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 08, 2010, 06:18:16 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 07, 2010, 11:10:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 07, 2010, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 07, 2010, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 07, 2010, 10:51:18 PM
So what was the purpose of the 'Solicitors Doctors & Lawyers Party' line?

A reference to the SDLP being a party which markets itself towards the "middle classes" and maintains minimal interest in the "working class" communities. The Alliance Party, in other words.
I thought it was generally a reference to the background of the party's elected representatives. I also thought the 'S' stood for Schoolteachers.
Glad to have clarified my point. Apologies for any mass confusion.

Sin sin, mar a deirtear.
You clarified your point? The reference to the professions generally relates to the background of SDLP members, not their 'target audience'.

And is this an example of the 'minimal interest' in the "working class" communities?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11706738

Jaysus Maguire01, you are now telling me what I meant by my own post? I'm sorry if I didn't mean it the way it would have suited you most to have a pop at me.

Tell you what, interpret it whatever way you feel suits you, and that way you can untwist them knickers of yours. It's bound to be getting uncomfortable.

As for your link, no.... a press statement from Miss Personality doesn't change the SDLP into the people's party just like that. Ol' maggie spent most of her conference speech making sure people knew they aren't Sinn Féin. She would have been better off trying to distance themselves from the Alliance party if you ask me.
I wasn't.

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 08, 2010, 06:59:22 PM
Jesus Nally, I know lots of solicitors and doctors who vote Sinn Fein, I doubt they'd be very happy with you.

Walk into a Queen's medicine lecture or a Queens or Jordanstown law lecture and count how many country GAA tops you see, the majority of who I presume would be Sinn Fein voters.

Perhaps you'd prefer things to return to the bad old days when Catholics couldn't get work and were forced to rely on benefits to survive.
You have a crack at nally for being a snob and then come out with the bit i have highlighted? Reads a bit snobbish to me.  Are you saying that nobody from a city club votes Sinn Féin?

Em, no.
But there are still some, so why make the distinction in the first place? Why not just say "GAA jerseys"?
Maybe he didn't see any of the 'some'? I don't know, i'm just suggesting.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 08, 2010, 07:03:17 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 08, 2010, 06:59:22 PM

Em, no.
Maybe he didn't see any of the 'some'? I don't know, i'm just suggesting.
Maybe, but if I was in Belfast and seen twenty people in GAA jerseys from rural areas, I would say "people in GAA jerseys" not "people in country GAA jerseys". I just can't understand the actual reason of adding "country".
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

fitzroyalty

Haven't you heard? If you're not from Belfast, you're a culchie. And if you wear a GAA jersey by-God you vote Sinn Fein. A bit off-topic here but I can't stand this attitude some Belfast people have that the world revolves around their city!  >:(

gallsman

Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 08, 2010, 08:37:20 PM
Haven't you heard? If you're not from Belfast, you're a culchie. And if you wear a GAA jersey by-God you vote Sinn Fein. A bit off-topic here but I can't stand this attitude some Belfast people have that the world revolves around their city!  >:(

Not what I was trying to imply at all. In Dublin people call me a culchie for being from Belfast so I'm well aware of the big bad world outside Belfast.

Doire, if you're asking me if I knew someone from West Belfast wearing a Crossmaglen top, yes I would 100% believe that it's reasonable to believe Sinn Fein would be their party of choice, if that particular person voted at all.

The Worker

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2010, 09:05:17 PM

Not what I was trying to imply at all. In Dublin people call me a culchie for being from Belfast so I'm well aware of the big bad world outside Belfast.

Doire, if you're asking me if I knew someone from West Belfast wearing a Crossmaglen top, yes I would 100% believe that it's reasonable to believe Sinn Fein would be their party of choice, if that particular person voted at all.

I never knew a Gaa top was a political statement!

Nally Stand

Quote from: The Worker on November 08, 2010, 09:14:40 PM

Me either. The things you learn on this board eh  :o

gallsman

Where did I say it was?

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 08, 2010, 09:16:24 PM

Me either. The things you learn on this board eh  :o

You're yet to attempt to explain your pseudo-republican snobbery towards solicitors and doctors.

Minder

I know threads go a bit of topic here but this is pretty left field.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Quote from: ziggysego on November 08, 2010, 06:15:58 PM
Was Margaret trying to fly away like a wee birdie at the end of the SDLP report on UTV?

http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/video/133454/108848

Go to 2:00.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on November 08, 2010, 09:21:09 PM

True, but I'm a stubborn bastard.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2010, 09:24:44 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 08, 2010, 09:21:09 PM

True, but I'm a stubborn b**tard.
With quite an ego.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility