The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 04, 2017, 10:29:48 AM
Quote from: Itchy on July 03, 2017, 10:37:11 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 02, 2017, 07:27:31 PM
Marty didn't disappoint with the "there are footballers in ......." when Lee Chin kicked the ball, he has been at that shite for 20 years +

Ah Marty "the tension is palpable" Morrissey

The tension does be fairly palpable in my house when I hear Marty is commentating.

I honestly can't understand how he is not just still at it, but seems to have even more power within RTE now
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

omagh_gael

Quote from: lenny on July 04, 2017, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 04, 2017, 11:55:56 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 04, 2017, 11:29:34 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 04, 2017, 10:33:33 AM
Ger Canning is worse. I thought his flippant remark when there was real concern over Fionn Fitzgerald on Sunday was poor. "He'll have a bit of a headache in the morning". That was a nasty bang.

Surely was, could've done some serious damage to himself, great to see him able to lift the cup at the end. Canning is another dose but isn't too bad on shows like Seo Spoirt. Looks like we were spoilt for years with O'Hehir and Ó Muircheartaigh, surely to Christ though rte could come up with a better way to recruit their commentators. Then again I suppose they'd have to be arsed about their GAA output before that could happen.
Didnt mickey harte tell us years ago Brian carthy was the man to take over.
a proper Gaa man

And he's still boycotting rte over carty not getting the job.

You're either a gombeen or have a touch of nastiness if you're espousing that Harte is boycotting RTE as a result of Carty' s treatment.

trileacman

Quote from: Minder on July 04, 2017, 06:24:21 PM
Marty didn't disappoint with the "there are footballers in ......." when Lee Chin kicked the ball, he has been at that shite for 20 years +

The tension does be fairly palpable in my house when I hear Marty is commentating.

I honestly can't understand how he is not just still at it, but seems to have even more power within RTE now

I don't mind Marty so much, he's excited by the game as opposed to all the negative c***ts RTÉ have on the books. Can't stand the sight of him but don't mind the commentary.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

LCohen

Quote from: trileacman on July 04, 2017, 07:01:37 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 04, 2017, 06:24:21 PM

I don't mind Marty so much, he's excited by the game as opposed to all the negative c***ts RTÉ have on the books. Can't stand the sight of him but don't mind the commentary.

Rte is stocked to the gills with poor commentators and shite talking pundits. That has nothing to do with their negativity. There have been brutal games and performances, inept managerial performances and ultra negative tactics. It's totally appropriate to call these out. Likewise cheating and diving. If the offering is worthy of negative comment then that is what it should get.

We need pundits that can tell shit from clay and call it for what it is. Otherwise what's the point?

BennyCake

Ger Canning is worse. I thought his flippant remark when there was real concern over Fionn Fitzgerald on Sunday was poor. "He'll have a bit of a headache in the morning". That was a nasty bang.

Surely was, could've done some serious damage to himself, great to see him able to lift the cup at the end. Canning is another dose but isn't too bad on shows like Seo Spoirt. Looks like we were spoilt for years with O'Hehir and Ó Muircheartaigh, surely to Christ though rte could come up with a better way to recruit their commentators. Then again I suppose they'd have to be arsed about their GAA output before that could happen.

Yup, totally agree.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

How has Gooch been so far?

The Trap

Woeful shirt on Sunday for gooch!

5 Sams

Nail hit on the head right there Croí...they have the best GAA presenter in the country sitting right under their nose and he is being "wasted" doing (albeit) very good documentaries on TG4. He should have some role in fronting or presenting the RTE GAA flagship coverage.
The Aristocrat Years

Targetman

Don't think gooch will be good pundit, just another who states the obvious and too civil to be controversial

southtyronegael

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 04, 2017, 06:32:02 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 04, 2017, 06:21:22 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 04, 2017, 11:55:56 AM

Didnt mickey harte tell us years ago Brian carthy was the man to take over.
a proper Gaa man

And he's still boycotting rte over carty not getting the job.

You're either a gombeen or have a touch of nastiness if you're espousing that Harte is boycotting RTE as a result of Carty' s treatment.
omagh gael i think ul find that is exactly why hartes rte boycott began. may 2011 if memory serves me correct.

Tubberman

Not strictly The Sunday Game, but after the qualifier draw on Morning Ireland yesterday morning, Des Cahill played this "dramatic" jingle after he called out each pairing - utterly cringe worthy, and disrespectful too.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

omagh_gael

STG, not disputing that Carry played a part but it was the distasteful Murray show sketch which was the more significant issue, IMO.

southtyronegael

yeah but mickeys boycott was already in place long before the disgraceful murry sketch. dont be trying to re write history to make mickey look like the victim here.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Tubberman on July 04, 2017, 10:46:51 PM
Not strictly The Sunday Game, but after the qualifier draw on Morning Ireland yesterday morning, Des Cahill played this "dramatic" jingle after he called out each pairing - utterly cringe worthy, and disrespectful too.

Yeah, I referred to this yesterday. As I said if he's that bored of it, let him just f**k off to whatever sunbed he crawled out of.

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on July 04, 2017, 11:04:51 PM
yeah but mickeys boycott was already in place long before the disgraceful murry sketch. dont be trying to re write history to make mickey look like the victim here.

Below is the Tyrone response at the time. The pathetic RTE sketch was not aired "long after" the Carthy issue as you state but was used around that time to ridicule Mickey's stance. Mickey wasn't the only manager involved in the Carthy letter and like the others I'm pretty sure he and the team would be talking to RTE had the sketch not happened.........

....A number of weeks ago the Senior Football Manager in conjunction with several other GAA managers wrote a letter marked Private and Confidential to two senior people within the RTÉ organisation.

In this letter Mickey Harte expressed his own and a number of other managers' concern at the disproportionate absence of Brian Carthy from his role as a radio commentator. The contents of the letter made their way into the public domain and the managers' concerned can categorically state that they were not the source of that leak.

Due to the portrayal of the said letter, at least one other broadcaster within the organisation acted in a most insensitive manner in the choice of their programme dialogue in a morning radio show soon after.

Inappropriate references to the fact that the Tyrone manager Mickey Harte was associated with the Dali Lama conference in Limerick and the choice of the song "Pretty Little Girl from Omagh" will give you an indication of the complete lack of sensitivity the presenter in question afforded the Harte family and Michaela's husband John McAreavey, in what remains for them a very difficult time.

We hope that this statement clarifies for the general public why Mickey Harte, his management team and the players have chosen not to co-operate with RTÉ at this time.

Interviews with all other media outlets will continue as before.
That was never a square ball!!